How long will windows 10 last

Pc6777

How long does windows 10 have? I really like the new model of just updating 10 instead of releasing new windows versions, although I wish new drivers would work on old builds. Will there be a next windows? Will windows 10 still be updated until 2025 or even 2030? It's a huge ecosystem and if microsoft made a windows 11 many people would put off upgrading for years, like what happened with people staying on 7. After windows 11 comes will there still be gpu drivers for win 10 so I can still use 10 with a dedicated gpu? Or will all the companies make new hardware incompatible with the old os to help Microsoft force a new os onto you?

4 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

How long does windows 10 have? I really like the new model of just updating 10 instead of releasing new windows versions, although I wish new drivers would work on old builds. Will there be a next windows? Will windows 10 still be updated until 2025 or even 2030? It's a huge ecosystem and if microsoft made a windows 11 many people would put off upgrading for years, like what happened with people staying on 7. After windows 11 comes will there still be gpu drivers for win 10 so I can still use 10 with a dedicated gpu? Or will all the companies make new hardware incompatible with the old os to help Microsoft force a new os onto you?

I dont think there will be any Windows 11, at least not in like 5 years. I'm quite sure that i read somewhere that Win 10 is the last Windows but that could be bullshit.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Hey, people still use Windows 7 in 2020, I don't think windows 10 will go anywhere anytime soon.

Just like OSX, it's just naming, if it wasn't for the M1, Apple probably gonna still use X forever.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Hey, people still use Windows 7 in 2020, I don't think windows 10 will go anywhere anytime soon.

Just like OSX, it's just naming, if it wasn't for the M1, Apple probably gonna still use X forever.

I don't blame them, windows 10 is a bit invasive but it could be way worse. At least it's not completely locked down like Macs. I hope there's still good compatibly with older stuff in future windows builds, I'm all about that backwards compability.

If the claims made a few years ago are still accurate, W10 is planned to be around forever with the update system adding and removing features as they come in and out of use. There is currently no plans for a Windows 11 or a successor to Windows 10.

Generally each build is offically supported for 18 months before it goes into OEL status, for enterprise you're looking at extended support up to 30 months.

I much prefer the current W10 path than what they used to do with new OSs. Free updates instead of buying a new $250 OS key every few years makes me happy.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

49 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

Windows 10 is supposed to be the final version of Windows. Ever.

Supposedly, it can be upgraded infinitely to provide support for any new hardware or software.

The problem is the more updates it gets the more issues there are... at some point updating won't be feasible anymore. 

At least I hope so, I would really like to get my surround sound options back at some point - lost on two different win 10 systems due to updates, inadvertently it would seem (drivers are non existent or simply don't work anymore) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

All Windows transitions are painful, especially for enterprises or state bodies. For years, Microsoft had do support Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 all at the same (Windows XP received some patches even after official end of life, to mitigate critical security vulnerabilities). So, it is just easier for Microsoft to just have one system around and to keep patching it.

11 hours ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

All Windows transitions are painful, especially for enterprises or state bodies. For years, Microsoft had do support Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 all at the same (Windows XP received some patches even after official end of life, to mitigate critical security vulnerabilities). So, it is just easier for Microsoft to just have one system around and to keep patching it.

yea, I think Microsoft would rather avoid making everyone mad and refuse to upgrade, plus all the money it would cost to make a new os, compatibility issues. plus older devices from 2015(when win 10 was released) have a better chance of working in the future because Microsoft don't really remove support for stuff in updates, and try to keep the os small, because storage is cheap now, the iso has gone from like 4 gigs to over 6 gigs in size since release. I hope win 10 goes on past 2030 honestly I like the fact that so much is compatible with it, Microsoft can be annoying sometimes with the built in ads and trying to force an online account on you, but at least you can still make local accounts and stuff, plus all the bloat and possible spying lol.