Motherboard refuses to boot with XMP profile enabled, auto-resets speed to 2133

rambi36

I have an ASRock B550 Steel Legend with G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 16GB 3600Mhz CL18 and whenever I enable XMP in the bios, it boot loops a couple of times then eventually boots into Windows, but it's running at 2133. I just updated the bios for the board and doing so did not change anything. I tried slightly increasing the voltage and the same thing happened. Is there anyway I can get my ram to run at it's rated speed? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to messing with memory so any help will be appreciated!

Life.exe is missing

1 hour ago, rambi36 said:

I have an ASRock B550 Steel Legend with G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 16GB 3600Mhz CL18 and whenever I enable XMP in the bios, it boot loops a couple of times then eventually boots into Windows, but it's running at 2133. I just updated the bios for the board and doing so did not change anything. I tried slightly increasing the voltage and the same thing happened. Is there anyway I can get my ram to run at it's rated speed? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to messing with memory so any help will be appreciated!

Messing with the voltage isnt a noob move.  My suspicion is there may be something wrong with the memory.  Have you tested it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Messing with the voltage isnt a noob move.  My suspicion is there may be something wrong with the memory.  Have you tested it?

I'm about to run memtest right now, will let you know what happens

Life.exe is missing

Is that memory on the QVL for that motherboard?  I’m wondering if it’s maybe a newer version of a type of memory they did testing for and when you enable XMP the machine try’s to enable the settings for a type of memory you don’t actually have.  If this is the case you may need to do manual settings.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm guessing you have 2x8gb kit.. is your ram in the correct slots? a2 and b2 

you said you change the voltage. but from what to what?

have you tried only 1 stick?

Also at least MSI boards have 2 XMPs, A and B, with one of them being a 'fake' XMP, for whatever reason, they even tell you in the manual to *not* use the fake XMB (pretty sure B is the correct one) if you boot A PC will crash within minutes. 

So do you have more than one XMP settings? may refer to your manual in that case. 

Also you can try to set the hopefully right XMP then manually change the speed to 3200 or 3000, that seems to have worked for many (3600 RAM is tricky in some motherboards) 

Could also be your motherboard doesn't even 'support' 3600 RAM... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity