I want to buy a VR headset but which one ?

G_K

I want to buy a VR headset but I want a good quality one and one that works with steam games any recommendations?

Been using the Quest 2 since November and I've loved it. I haven't run into any issues with the multiple steam games I've played and its been a pretty enjoyable experience. Only reason I wouldn't see someone getting it, is if they didn't want a FB account. There are rumors of a Quest 3 but apparently thats not expected until sometime in 2022.

The cheapest around is the quest 2, but I have a multitude of personal gripes against that headset. Uncomfortable controllers, the process for setting it up to work with PC is a pain, and the controllers go through AA batteries super fast. I saved for an index and I couldn't love it more. I'd recommend to newcomers the cheapest mainstream HTC headset they can get their hands on, most of the time that's a used OG Vive. If you go with a vive, you can also repurpose the old controllers into makeshift vive trackers should you ever choose to upgrade. Plus, base station tracking will always be superior to inside out tracking, and it's much easier to connect to PC. Again, it all comes down to personal preference. If you don't like having a cable, then the quest 2 with virtual desktop is pretty much the only option right now, despite all its drawbacks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 12:45 AM, Jack0f5pades said:

the process for setting it up to work with PC is a pain

I'm a bit lost on this part. The only difference is you have to install the oculus app, which isn't hard at all. I would find setting up and making space for the base stations a much bigger issue that one extra piece of software.

7 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

I'm a bit lost on this part. The only difference is you have to install the oculus app, which isn't hard at all. I would find setting up and making space for the base stations a much bigger issue that one extra piece of software.

My main issue with it is the fact that I literally couldn't use it because it can only be installed on the C: drive and mine wasn't big enough to accommodate the install. So I had to delete a game or two from my drive to make room. That and if you want to play using VD, there's additional one time setup you have to do, which totals more than what was required to setup my index, and if you choose to go with a cable, it adds a couple minutes of setup time every time you want to play, during which you have to connect to your pc and load the hub world, all while dealing with Oculus' horrible compression technology making it so that low end hardware can't get by nearly as easily as it can on a native headset. Unless you have at least a 2060 equivalent or greater card, you won't be able to run a quest effectivity because of the compression, but I can run an index on a 4gb 550 just fine. Quest is your compromise headset. Cheap headsets are cheap because they're a pain to work with, expensive headsets are expensive because they're easier to work with. It's almost as though that's what's intended with a product stack.