Reacting to xQc's FAIL PC Build

James

Buy RTX 3090 on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/8B6IZKw

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

In our first ever reaction video, Linus reacts to Twitch streamer xQc's gaming PC build log.

https://youtu.be/A0WzLguGLOo

Yeah, that kind of a reaction video is gonna be a no for me there bud.

There is no spoon.

Just watched, that was quite chaotic.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Just now, lexusgamer05 said:

Oh god. That was painful to watch. 

I want to know why he got 128GB of ram, that's so overkill.

watched PC video that told him to put as much ram as possible, remember, always upgrade ram.  /s

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 hours ago, lexusgamer05 said:

Oh god. That was painful to watch. 

I want to know why he got 128GB of ram, that's so overkill.

minecaft lik ram

✨FNIGE✨

Nothing against him personally, but if people are THIS DUMB then I should have a quadruple PhD and a 80 foot tall 24K gold statue erected in my name for how to put together a PC. That's not saying I've built more PC's than Linus or can churn them out quicker - how fast and how many is not the metric to go by. But there is a fundamental thing you need to get a grasp of that's called following instructions and LEARNING.

I remember my first build, back before many reading this were even born. What did I do when I got stuck? I called the store where I bought it from for troubleshooting and got help over the phone. That PC (a Windows 95 box) ran solid for 6 years with just the occasional upgrade to RAM and storage to keep it relevant.

Fast forward roughly 20 years to 2016 when I built my SECOND system ever. Forget basic. Forget cheap. Forget simple. Now I'm doing custom fabrication, ordering parts from 3 mod shops from around the globe, doing my own wiring all in a case that cannot even be purchased anymore that's powder coated to order requiring full hand assembly and custom water cooled with 5 rads and 30 fans.

Sure, I could have done a build log (I have all the photos) - it would have taken 12 months and 30 pages to complete. You wouldn't have stuck around for that, but the resulting $12,000 masterpiece would surely impress.

So how did I get from noob to wizard??? It's called experience. Not the kind of experience you get from doing something repetitively, but from watching how other people do it and learning along the way. You research the product, check the spec sheet, read the manual and look at reviews. You concentrate on the finer details, the things that matter and watch out for bogus claims. A lot of my knowledge isn't even from PC building, just stuff that I happened to come across along the way while researching IT. It involves investing time - something I can understand if there are people who may not have it. I have a drive and a passion to learn, be it how to attach a certain device or how to use a particular hand tool. Again, you can watch and learn by following others who are doing the same.

I'm not advocating others follow in my footsteps, but there's a lot to be gained by "helping yourself". Something so simple as reading, following instructions and using a bit of common sense and patience can go a LONG way. When you can invest your time in yourself, doing stuff like building a PC becomes SO EASY.

Best of luck to all of you out there building a PC for the first time. It really isn't that difficult. And if you need help, don't be afraid to ask for it.

37 minutes ago, Luscious said:

read the manual

something that gets overlooked too often

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

"the fans are welded to the case"

"the GPU juicer doesn't fit, time to send everything back!"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, James said:

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

In our first ever reaction video, Linus reacts to Twitch streamer xQc's gaming PC build log.

That was painful to watch. 

That was painful to watch. If he had watched a video and read manuals, I think it all would have worked though. I was super stressed for my first build, but after reading the manual and watching videos it all went fine.

I think the hardware is fine though

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

A beginner build not for the memes could be useful to those like xQc who have no idea what they're doing.

Maybe bring Sarah Butt back for the beginner build guide.  Use the YouTube time stamp feature to break out each step of the process.  

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

11 hours ago, James said:

To be fair to Linus, u cant trust a word that comes out of these large youtubers mouths lol. They're entertainers ...actors effectively.. its mostly all 'show'.

Now while u cant 'trust' them, and their 'act' can most certainly be over the top, u can make some educated guesses on their competence levels in PC building. Most streamers and youtubers ..are entertainers first, the PC is a tool, much like a Car is to most people. So most of them wont have a clue about how to build one , some may know theoretically how to put one together to some degree, but have never done it themselves before.

I go back the car analogy.

how many people own a car ... how many people can change a wheel, how many can change the oil,  replace a break pad ..or even something as simple as fill the radiator with coolant.  There are countless examples of people who can only 'drive' (with varying success 😛 ) a car, and cant do anything else with it, not even the most basic things.

So its not unsurprising that many youtubers and streamers that may rely on a PC ..cant do what amounts to a little bit of Meccano / Lego

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Next week: "Linus builds xQc PC, the right way!" 🙂

I mean, he's clearly asking for it 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

At least he didn't screw it up as badly as The Verge's "guide" video. The worst part was getting a motherboard with an integrated water block for the chipset, then completely ignoring it to go with a closed loop and fumble horribly with the AIO installation. Overall, largely tame by comparison to the Verge. 

Linus's offhand comment about doing a build guide for, and with, beginnings is probably a thing worth pursuing. 

Maybe even a mini series with different hosts, different 'guests'  and different platforms

32 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Next week: "Linus builds xQc PC, the right way!" 🙂

I mean, he's clearly asking for it 😛

I would say Linus shouldn't be in the business of building PC's for toxic manchildren but he already did one for PewDiePie so I guess that ship has sailed. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

23 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I would say Linus shouldn't be in the business of building PC's for toxic manchildren but he already did one for PewDiePie so I guess that ship has sailed. 

It's content, and that's all that matters really, in the end :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

3 hours ago, DriftMan said:

Well hope he had fun doing that, unfortunately for him I'm sure lots of people started recommending him the most expensive hardware out there since he's famous instead of creating a balance between components-budget-necessity

Well, whatever, lots of people here panic'd when they first built their computer, nothing to be ashamed of

he probably makes millions a year so it doesnt matter to him

xqc is a content machine. People like watching him fail and get angry.

If you want someone to build a crazy pc in the right way just watch...

Spoiler

...JayTwoCents

Btw I liked the video. A collab with xqc could also be fun. 

this should have been a short circuit video 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, ZuppaSalata said:

xqc is a content machine. People like watching him fail and get angry.

If you want someone to build a crazy pc in the right way just watch...

Hide contents

...JayTwoCents

Btw I liked the video. A collab with xqc could also be fun. 

Even xQc didn't drill a hole in his motherboard, did he? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Even xQc didn't drill a hole in his motherboard, did he? 

I'm surprised he didn't lol