First PC Assembled - Boots up - No signal on monitor

malawar
Go to solution Solved by Arrogath,

have you flashed the bios up to the 5000 supporting version? You can download it, run the rename executable, put the newly renamed file on an empty USB drive, plug the USB into the BIOS marked port on the back of the machine, and hold the bios flash button for a bit, release and it starts flashing the new version

edit: I forgot to add that if you can it's suggested you flash the bios while plugged into a UPS so that it doesn't get interrupted. The formula board should be okay even if it fails part way with this usb flashback tool though

The only things that I'm not 100% certain about in my assembly are:

1) Only managed to put in 8 out of the 9 stand-offs due to access issues.

2) CPU power pins. As per the manual, I installed both 8 and 4 pin plugs and connected them to the PSU - as opposed to connecting just the 8-pin.

3) GPU power cable has two 8-pins that go into one port on the PSU.

4) I read somewhere the RAM compatibility might be the issue - I'm certain I have a compatible set based on the motherboard and cpu specs, maybe someone can double check?

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
Ice Giant Cooler
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard    
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory
x2 Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive    
XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB Speedster MERC 319 Ultra Video Card    
Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply    
Asus GX601 ATX Full Tower Case    

have you flashed the bios up to the 5000 supporting version? You can download it, run the rename executable, put the newly renamed file on an empty USB drive, plug the USB into the BIOS marked port on the back of the machine, and hold the bios flash button for a bit, release and it starts flashing the new version

edit: I forgot to add that if you can it's suggested you flash the bios while plugged into a UPS so that it doesn't get interrupted. The formula board should be okay even if it fails part way with this usb flashback tool though

2 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

No sir!

Looking into that right now 

Standoffs don't matter as long as the board is secure.

I'd suggest checking all of the mounting pressures of things, and making sure that everything is mounted again properly. Take out all the things you readily can, and make sure that they were plugged in properly to begin with. Make sure you haven't accidentally slot-shifted the graphics card. Double check the HDMI or DisplayPort cable. Make sure the monitor has power. Make sure the monitor is selecting the correct port to receive from.

If that doesn't work, I may have a few more slightly more outlandish ideas later.

1 minute ago, Bearpaddocks said:

Standoffs don't matter as long as the board is secure.

I'd suggest checking all of the mounting pressures of things, and making sure that everything is mounted again properly. Take out all the things you readily can, and make sure that they were plugged in properly to begin with. Make sure you haven't accidentally slot-shifted the graphics card. Double check the HDMI or DisplayPort cable. Make sure the monitor has power. Make sure the monitor is selecting the correct port to receive from.

If that doesn't work, I may have a few more slightly more outlandish ideas later.

Thanks for clarifying - I was beginning to wonder if it did a bit more than hold the thing in place.

Pretty sure I've got most of the connections correctly.

I'm reading about updating the bios, but also wondering if my RAM is compatible. This list is kind of scaring me since I can't find my set of RAM sticks.

4x 32GB

F4-3200C14Q-128GTZR

DDR4-3200

CL14-18-18-38 1.45V

Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Desktop_Processors.pdf

just make sure you are on the latest agesa bios from you mobo manufacturer. This may require a 3000 series amd chip or earlier. Also, are you xQc this is a lot like his build (formula has water cooled vrms, ice giant is an air cooler)

1 minute ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

just make sure you are on the latest agesa bios from you mobo manufacturer. This may require a 3000 series amd chip or earlier. Also, are you xQc this is a lot like his build (formula has water cooled vrms, ice giant is an air cooler)

No, first I hear of him actually, sorry to disappoint haha

I will be moving to a water cooling set up eventually.

Just now, Red_Fox_1293 said:

3000 series not required, this board has USB flashback and can flash the bios without any cpu installed if you're so inclined

6 minutes ago, malawar said:

I'm reading about updating the bios, but also wondering if my RAM is compatible. This list is kind of scaring me since I can't find my set of RAM sticks.

At the very least it should post with default settings so I would look into flashing the BIOS using the flashback utility. I saw a kit with 32gb sticks supported in the list, but not being on the qvl list just means that specific kit hasn't been tested. You may struggle to get the XMP/DOCP settings stable though, will probably have to tune things a bit

38 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Just wanted to make sure I got the renaming part correctly - all I need to do is run the .exe file, correct? I don't have to type anything, it automatically changes and I just dump everything in a USB?

rename.png

2 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

3000 series not required, this board has USB flashback and can flash the bios without any cpu installed if you're so inclined

At the very least it should post with default settings so I would look into flashing the BIOS using the flashback utility. I saw a kit with 32gb sticks supported in the list, but not being on the qvl list just means that specific kit hasn't been tested. You may struggle to get the XMP/DOCP settings stable though, will probably have to tune things a bit

awesome - focusing more on bios update

just have to be careful going through it - bit of an amateur here

4 minutes ago, malawar said:

awesome - focusing more on bios update

just have to be careful going through it - bit of an amateur here

with the usb flash tool it's a little more forgiving than usual. If you don't get the file unzipped and renamed properly it just won't try to flash. If the flash fails you can just clean the drive off and try again, maybe with a different bios version. Personally I would avoid any versions labeled beta unless there is a feature you want to try. Looks like right now version 3204 is the current most recent non beta

https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-formula-model/helpdesk_bios

1 minute ago, Arrogath said:

with the usb flash tool it's a little more forgiving than usual. If you don't get the file unzipped and renamed properly it just won't try to flash. If the flash fails you can just clean the drive off and try again, maybe with a different bios version. Personally I would avoid any versions labeled beta unless there is a feature you want to try. Looks like right now version 3204 is the current most recent non beta

Cool - I've just put the renamed file into the USB. Just wanted to make sure I nail the next bit you mentioned:

"and hold the bios flash button for a bit, release and it starts flashing the new version". - This part only requires the PSU to be powered on, right? Or, do I have to hit the power button on the "case" as well?

2 minutes ago, malawar said:

Cool - I've just put the renamed file into the USB. Just wanted to make sure I nail the next bit you mentioned:

"and hold the bios flash button for a bit, release and it starts flashing the new version". - This part only requires the PSU to be powered on, right? Or, do I have to hit the power button on the "case" as well?

so just the psu has to be on, the power cables need to be connected to the motherboard, but the computer needs to be off. You hold the back bios button until it starts flashing I believe, it's not quite a 5 count from my memory of the last time I did it. The LCD display should say BIOS flashback stage 1 and work its way through the stages until done.

3 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

so just the psu has to be on, the power cables need to be connected to the motherboard, but the computer needs to be off. You hold the back bios button until it starts flashing I believe, it's not quite a 5 count from my memory of the last time I did it. The LCD display should say BIOS flashback stage 1 and work its way through the stages until done.

Yes! Found it on the manual as well - page 2-13. Feeling more confident, attempting shortly.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_FORMULA/E15393_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_FORMULA_UM_WEB.pdf