File Server > Cloud Storage Accessible by Customers

Once I have a file server built and operating on TrueNAS, is it possible to essentially create something like DropBox?

I don't mean accessing my file server from an IP sensitive URL for private use at home, but creating links to files on the server that can be shared with customers instead of using services like DropBox, Google Drive, etc. It would be great to also create a shared folder that customers can upload work files to, so we have everything organized in once space. I'd prefer it not have more steps to accessing the file or folder than simply using Dropbox, like complicated logins and typing IP addresses, or having long setup processes for customers. Something as efficient and seamless as the professional cloud services everyone is using.

Is this possible?

On a separate note.. could I host my business's website on my server to skip the annual fees of hosting on, for example, wordpress?

On 2/18/2021 at 6:26 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

nextcloud

You mentioned on my other thread that TrueNAS wasn't the best for storage performance, and to look into a linux OS. Do you think TrueNAS could bottleneck download speeds when customers are downloading files through nextcloud is setup? Would my internet's upload time also be a bottleneck?

14 minutes ago, 1045666 said:

You mentioned on my other thread that TrueNAS wasn't the best for storage performance, and to look into a linux OS. Do you think TrueNAS could bottleneck download speeds when customers are downloading files through nextcloud is setup? Would my internet's upload time also be a bottleneck?

What is your wan speed? Your probably gonna be limited by the isp way before trueNAS/zfs would limit you.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is your wan speed?

ping ms        12
download     63.58
upload         10.80

Any files I download online at ~60Mbps would be hosted on physical servers somewhere, right? So the internet connection on the server's end should be matching that in upload speed. Is getting an upload speed as fast as a download speed as simple as upgrading my internet to the fastest package an ISP provides?

1 minute ago, 1045666 said:

ping ms        12
download     63.58
upload         10.80

Any files I download online at ~60Mbps would be hosted on physical servers somewhere, right? So the internet connection on the server's end should be matching that in upload speed. Is getting an upload speed as fast as a download speed as simple as upgrading my internet to the fastest package an ISP provides?

Thast a pretty slow connection, so truenas won't limit you.

See the plans from your ISP, really depends on how it was setup.