buzzing noise coming from pc (arctic freezer 2 280)

Hman42

I recently built my pc around 1-2 months ago and ive noticed a buzzing sound within my pc occasionally. Im not sure what it is, but it sounds like it is coming from the middle of my case, so either gpu but most likely my AIO. 

heres the video of sound: https://imgur.com/a/DYqhTsg

and heres the inside of my computer:  https://imgur.com/a/SNByLov

Cpu: 10700k stock GPU: MSI 3060ti ventus 2x COOLER: Arctic Freezer 2 280 MOBO: msi z490-a pro SSD 860 evo 2tb.

This buzzing doesn’t happen continuously, but happens randomly. Also the video was when i opened up a game and when i closed it the sound went away.

7 minutes ago, Hman42 said:

Also the video was when i opened up a game and when i closed it the sound went away.

Coil whine i'd guess.  More noticeable when the GPU is loaded?

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

is you pump set to a static speed?

No, the arctic freezer 2 is powered by 1 pwm so I think the speed increases as the fans do.

2 hours ago, glenalz81 said:

Coil whine i'd guess.  More noticeable when the GPU is loaded?

Well its not a consistent buzzing, so sometimes theres 0 buzzing and then it will randomly start making noise.

the video with the noise was right when i launched a game so there shouldnt be too much load on the gpu, but yeah that could be a gpu issue. 

my AIO also has a tiny vrm fan on the the waterblock so maybe thats it?

Update: heres a video of it quietly buzzing when my pc is at idle only a couple chrome tabs open https://imgur.com/a/9zB9xy0

ive narrowed it down and Im sure its not my GPU because my gpu fans do not spin at idle. Also within that video you can hear its not my rad fans which are front mounted.

if it's a pump or fan you can determine it from adjusting the rpm or dropping it to zero. I know my GPU can have some coil whine once a game is running, but not always.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 hour ago, Hman42 said:

Im sure its not my GPU because my gpu fans do not spin at idle

Coil whine comes from vibrations made from current passing through a component like an inductor, sometimes we're unlucky and the vibrations resonate at a frequency that we can hear.

Like @alyensaid, it's easy to rule out the AIO by reducing the speed to minimum or setting a static speed.

3 hours ago, glenalz81 said:

Coil whine comes from vibrations made from current passing through a component like an inductor, sometimes we're unlucky and the vibrations resonate at a frequency that we can hear.

Like @alyensaid, it's easy to rule out the AIO by reducing the speed to minimum or setting a static speed.

4 hours ago, alyen said:

if it's a pump or fan you can determine it from adjusting the rpm or dropping it to zero. I know my GPU can have some coil whine once a game is running, but not always.

7 hours ago, narrdarr said:

is you pump set to a static speed?

Well I followed @alyen advice of dropping the rpms on my fans and found the buzzing to be coming from one of my case fans. Gonna get some new ones coming in. Feel kinda dumb for ruling that one out early, but atleast i dont have to take my cooler off and disconnect the vrm fan. 

And for coil whine I did find my vrm fan to have coil whine but not bad enough to notice it from my seat. Thanks for the help guys

Did you try adjusting the fan RPM to ranges to see if you avoid getting the coil whine and maybe not have the fan spin up so high so you won't need to buy a new fan. I've had some fans that have some annoying motor noise so I reduced the RPM even if it mean +3 degrees higher temperatures on loads.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

30 minutes ago, alyen said:

Did you try adjusting the fan RPM to ranges to see if you avoid getting the coil whine and maybe not have the fan spin up so high so you won't need to buy a new fan. I've had some fans that have some annoying motor noise so I reduced the RPM even if it mean +3 degrees higher temperatures on loads.

Yeah I did but it is still a bit noticeable. I actually ordered a couple new fans a few days ago because my gpu temps are a bit too high for my liking, so any higher wouldn't be too good. 

I ended up getting some Arctic P12 fans, as I was already happy with how they performed on my AIO.

5 hours ago, Hman42 said:

Well I followed @alyen advice of dropping the rpms on my fans and found the buzzing to be coming from one of my case fans. Gonna get some new ones coming in. Feel kinda dumb for ruling that one out early, but atleast i dont have to take my cooler off and disconnect the vrm fan. 

And for coil whine I did find my vrm fan to have coil whine but not bad enough to notice it from my seat. Thanks for the help guys

3 hours ago, Hman42 said:

Yeah I did but it is still a bit noticeable. I actually ordered a couple new fans a few days ago because my gpu temps are a bit too high for my liking, so any higher wouldn't be too good. 

I ended up getting some Arctic P12 fans, as I was already happy with how they performed on my AIO.

if you watch gamers nexus review of the cooler and the arctic p12 fans I think your see additional info that may help you set your curve so you don't get that noise. 

but in short. it sounds like you loads are at the not so sweet where it tell fans to run at around 1100 rpm. adjusting your curve so your fans spin faster should fix this. it temping to tell it to go slower but it's not the right way to go about as the temp will move up which will put you back in the spot.