Apple TV+ is now available on Google TV

wall03

Summary

Starting today, the Apple TV app, including Apple TV+, is now globally available on the new Chromecast with Google TV, with more Google TV devices to come.

Quotes

Starting today, the Apple TV app, including Apple TV+, is now globally available on the new Chromecast with Google TV, with more Google TV devices to come. To access the Apple TV app, navigate to the Apps tab or the apps row in the For you tab.

Google TV gives users with subscriptions to Apple TV+ the ability to tune into award-winning original shows, movies and documentaries from the world’s most creative storytellers. You can enjoy Apple Originals, including series like “Ted Lasso,” which was recently nominated for two Golden Globes, “For All Mankind” season two debuting tomorrow, “The Morning Show” and “Servant,” as well as movies like “Greyhound” and “Palmer.” The Apple TV app also gives you access to your library of movie and TV show purchases from Apple, as well as personalized and curated recommendations and Apple TV channels. And with Family Sharing, up to six family members can share subscriptions to Apple TV+ and Apple TV channels.

With Google TV in the U.S., you can browse Apple Originals in your personalized recommendations and search results. And with Google Assistant, you can also use your voice to ask Google to open the Apple TV app or play an Apple Original title. If you aren’t ready to watch right away, you can add Apple Originals to your Watchlist for later. These features will roll out globally in the coming months.

My thoughts

Glad to see Apple TV app expand past the Roku devices...

Sources

Apple TV+ is now available on Google TV (blog.google)

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

As a guy who just bought an iPad, got the free one year trial, and actually watches some of the shows they put on there, it’s just mind boggling to me that I can’t watch this stuff on my my TV with an older model of the Chromecast.  As it currently stands even when I hook up my PC to my TV I can’t play content from Apple TV+ unless I want to type in my credit card number for verification...

If Apple wants to seriously grow this service into one that people are actually going to pay for, they need to do what they did with Apple Music and allow these apps on other platforms that don’t have their logo on it.  To this day there is no Apple TV+ app on android (which they do for Apple Music) which is just ludicrous.  Honestly I’ve been considering switching from Spotify to Apple Music because I’ll have access to it on my phone.  I can live without playing music on my PC, but I can’t say the same for a video streaming service.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

2 hours ago, wall03 said:

Glad to see Apple TV app expand past the Roku devices...

It's also been available on Samsung TVs, LG TVs, Fire TVs... it's pretty ubiquitous, relatively speaking! Google is just the last frontier, so to speak.

7 minutes ago, JLO64 said:

As a guy who just bought an iPad, got the free one year trial, and actually watches some of the shows they put on there, it’s just mind boggling to me that I can’t watch this stuff on my my TV with an older model of the Chromecast.  As it currently stands even when I hook up my PC to my TV I can’t play content from Apple TV+ unless I want to type in my credit card number for verification...

If Apple wants to seriously grow this service into one that people are actually going to pay for, they need to do what they did with Apple Music and allow these apps on other platforms that don’t have their logo on it.  To this day there is no Apple TV+ app on android (which they do for Apple Music) which is just ludicrous.  Honestly I’ve been considering switching from Spotify to Apple Music because I’ll have access to it on my phone.  I can live without playing music on my PC, but I can’t say the same for a video streaming service.

Android TV is a pretty big step toward what you're looking for, mind you, and Apple TV+ is available on quite a few non-Apple platforms already. I suspect that Apple was more interested in targeting the largest living room platforms before worrying about mobile viewing. And what's your concern about PCs? I believe there's a web version of Apple TV+ available right now!

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

And what's your concern about PCs? I believe there's a web version of Apple TV+ available right now!

For some reason unbeknownst to me you have to type in your credit card number on the web version in order to “verify your identity”.  Keep in mind I’d already given my PayPal info so this was unexpected to say the least.  The kicker is that I actually don’t have a credit card, I only have a debit card which of course didn’t work. Maybe they’re trying to get me to get the Apple Card?

45 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's also been available on Samsung TVs, LG TVs, Fire TVs... it's pretty ubiquitous, relatively speaking! Google is just the last frontier, so to speak.

It’s also worth noting for anyone interested that it’s only the latest versions of these TVs have Apple TV included.  I have a 2018 Samsung TV and neither Airplay or Apple TV+ works on there. To be fair I think this is more of a problem on the TV manufacturer’s side with software support for their products generally being lacking.  Honestly if you want to stream/cast content to your TV you’re better off getting a streaming stick as those companies are generally better at software support and features.  It just so happened in my case that I got a 1080p Chromecast that so far doesn’t have streaming support...

50 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I suspect that Apple was more interested in targeting the largest living room platforms before worrying about mobile viewing.

My point still stands for Android.  Apple is a trillion dollar company with literally billions of dollars to blow on stuff.  If they wanted to make an Android app it would already be on the play store.