PWM Pump control - not working?

Mark-McG

Hi all,

I am struggling a bit with my ASUS board and controlling my EK D5 pump built into my distro plate.

I have the pump connected to the water pump header on my ROG hero. I want to run the pump at 100% to help clear any trapped air. 

so I have set the QFan settings for that header to be always at 100% but when I quit out the bios it remains in what appears to be a normal setting. Spinning up as and when the pc picks up a load 

any suggestions please? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero| RAM: 2x16GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE | PSU: Corsair RM1000x | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition | SSD: Corsair MP600 500GB PCI-E Gen 4 | Custom Water Cooled | Monitor: x3 Razer Raptor

2 minutes ago, Mark-McG said:

Hi all,

I am struggling a bit with my ASUS board and controlling my EK D5 pump built into my distro plate.

I have the pump connected to the water pump header on my ROG hero. I want to run the pump at 100% to help clear any trapped air. 

so I have set the QFan settings for that header to be always at 100% but when I quit out the bios it remains in what appears to be a normal setting. Spinning up as and when the pc picks up a load 

any suggestions please? 

Do you have AI Suite installed? perhaps it is overriding the BIOS settings.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Do you have AI Suite installed? perhaps it is overriding the BIOS settings.

No I don’t, I do have armoury crate? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero| RAM: 2x16GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE | PSU: Corsair RM1000x | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition | SSD: Corsair MP600 500GB PCI-E Gen 4 | Custom Water Cooled | Monitor: x3 Razer Raptor

2 minutes ago, Mark-McG said:

No I don’t, I do have armoury crate? 

Not so familiar with armory crate unfortunately. It's a bit weird with the pump header afaik defaults to 100% constantly and you have to go out of your way to activate a curve for it....so for it to default to a fan curve makes me think you have some software installed that is changing the settings in Windows. I guess for example if you were to boot into safe mode, do you see the same effecT?

9 minutes ago, Mark-McG said:

Hi all,

any suggestions please? 

Run the pump directly off the PSU. If you do not have that option, make sure the fan profile is NOT set to PWM. You want it in power or voltage regulated mode to max it out or just disable all fan profiles in bios until the air is out. Generally I would recommend running pumps at full speed all the time. They were meant to run like that (D5 pumps are industrial grade water pumps). If you cannot get it to ramp up, connecting it to the PSU is your best option. Also check the pump itself, some have a tiny dial that limits the performance.