ChromeOS surpasses MacOS/OSX market share. Now second most used OS in the PC space.

GoodBytes

I'm surprised google never killed it given the company's past track record, and the rocky beginnings of ChromsOS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

54 minutes ago, justpoet said:

No, no they're not.  We got chromebooks recently and they SUCK.  Over 5 or 6 people in a zoom meeting and it starts dropping out.  Can't watch Full HD YouTube without stuttering and dropping a LOT of frames.  It is an intel based Chrome book with 4 gigs of ram, fully updated.  Just opening an email takes a second, vs being instant on any half decent computer.

weird, I have a tablet with 2gb of ram and an atom that I installed chromeos on and it works perfectly fine, 1080p youtube and browsing works great on it, not sure what the issue is in your case.

58 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Chrome books are not "computers" any more than the pregnancy test running Doom is.  They're giant flaming paperweights of lowest cost consumerism that will need replacing quickly before causing a ton more ewaste.

They still have their use and place in the market, not everyone can afford to ditch out 300-400$ on a reasonable laptop, and the used market isn't an option in many countries. These devices that you consider paperweights or comparable to pregnancy tests allowed hundreds of thousands if not millions to have access to education in these circumstances. And as far as I'm concerned chromebooks are computers, you may not consider them computers but by definition they are.

4 hours ago, CreativeName642 said:

I've never used a Windows laptop at the lowest price point, but I don't see how it could perform worse. I had a chromebook from 2015, and it struggled with YouTube videos playing at 480p24. God forbid I try play a video at 60fps.

Sounds similar to the experience had with a Pentium 4. Really shit modern internet experience. Intel Atom or the ones re-badged as Pentiums and Celerons I guess?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

What do you think on all of this?

It is irrelevant to me and, I suspect, to most other people as well.

-kp

i wonder how many of those chrome users are personal users though... 

my guess is that all those chromebooks are in schools or workplaces and people are forced to use them. i can't see any other scenario where someone would pick a chromebook over a Windows device or a MacBook. 

She/Her

Considering how many things you can do with just a web browser these days... and how much cheaper/long lasting (battery) a chromebook is compared to Windows or Mac... I'm not surprised.

It's literally a great choice for students. Everything I do on PC(aside from gaming) and is required by my College, could be done either on a browser, or through a virtual machine if needs be... I'm assuming it's possible to run a VM on chrome OS... right?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's hard to say if this will last, though. It could be a blip as people return to school and work, or as Apple boosts sales with more M-series chips; or it could reflect a new reality where Chrome OS forever claims the low-end share Windows used to have. I don't think Apple is terribly worried beyond losing some iPad sales.

To be fair, i dont think the people that are in the market for something like a chromebook are in the target audience for something like an M1 powered Macbook, purely because of price. why spend over $1000 when you can get something that meets your needs for a few hundred. Apple's boost in sales will come from current Macbook users/owners and maybe a few stragglers switching over from windows.

11 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i can't see any other scenario where someone would pick a chromebook over a Windows device or a MacBook. 

Windows Device: at the same price as an entry level chromebook, it would be an abysmal experience.

Macbook:  Price, as above, why spend so much on a device if you're not going to be using all of it's power.

With all of that said, the used market should be seen as the alternative to chromebooks, not new devices. Sure you don't get the shiney new feeling computer, but since they would very likely be doing the same task, you're potentially saving some devices from becoming e-waste it's not like you HAVE to have the newest generation of everything.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Apple lost its second-place spot to ChromeBooks devices in the most used OS in the PC space, reports Ars Technica.

For years on end (practically) Windows was the most used PC based OS, with MacOS/OSX being on the second spot, with Linux being third.

But with the introduction of Google's ChromeBook' in the recent years, its OS, ChromeOS, has now taken over Apple second spot, based on numbers collected by IDC.

market-share2-800x595.png

Based on IDC findings, Windows has now 80.5% of the pie, ChromeOS 10.8%, and macOS has only 7.5% of it.

Ars Technica reports:

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/the-worlds-second-most-popular-desktop-operating-system-isnt-macos-anymore

The massive growth of ChromeBook's shows how the landscape has changed in the computer world. Yes, Windows is the OS for gaming and productivity work. However, despite mass limitations of ChromeOS, and most devices running that OS (specs wise), it is plenty for a great majority of students and even those who mostly just surf the web and write documents (who don't need Microsoft Office suit specifically).

Since last year, Microsoft went all in onto Windows 10X, its new OS which scraps 100% of the legacy stuff of Windows 10, to be able to run smoothly with great battery life on low-cost devices, and aim to compete against ChromeOS. It is expected to be released later this year (current rumors (at the moment of typing: suggests a soft launch early in the year, and a full one with Win32 app support (running in a sandbox env later). As a result of this focus, Windows 10 next update (21H1) that is coming up, contains... well... nothing beside bug fixes. I'll report on this news in a moment.

I think Microsoft though it would have time back in 2019, but it looks like the pandemic has really pushed ChromeBook growth.

I think despite Windows 10X and ChromeOS limitations that people mention here, shows that, people just don't seem to care, at least for the device target price point.

2021 will definitely be interesting

What do you think on all of this?

I'm honestly not surprised tho, my school system alone has over 17,000 chromebooks. They are mostly being used by schools, so it's not gonna play a big affect on the rest of the market.

20 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Windows Device: at the same price as an entry level chromebook, it would be an abysmal experience.

not much worse than an entry level chromebook to be honest. i've used a few and often they have ARM chips that you see in budget smartphones being used to run a desktop web browser.

like it's horribly slow, even compared to my 2012 MacBook Pro which is available on the used market for half the price of an entry level chromebook.

21 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Macbook:  Price, as above, why spend so much on a device if you're not going to be using all of it's power.

there is more to a device than just the power it has. if you buy a Mac you're paying for the OS, first party software, build quality, like, you can't just compare a $400 chromebook with a TN screen that was considered horrible 10 years ago to a MacBook with a Retina display... 

23 minutes ago, Arika S said:

With all of that said, the used market should be seen as the alternative to chromebooks, not new devices. Sure you don't get the shiney new feeling computer, but since they would very likely be doing the same task, you're potentially saving some devices from becoming e-waste it's not like you HAVE to have the newest generation of everything.

exactly. like i said above my 9 year old 2012 macbook pro still handily outperforms even most midrange chromebooks and is available on the used market for much less than those devices cost. 

my 15" Late 2011 would run rings around even high end chromebooks, like hell it has a quadcore i7 in it. but those 15" Unibody's aren't always the most reliable and also cost more than 13" models so that's why i didn't use it as an example before. 

She/Her

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

ChromeBooks might also have been the only products in stock for a lot of people for the last year. The consumer mid-market has been sold out for the last 9 months, in laptops.

Nope. They were not in stock either. My sister got Chromebooks from the school for the kids. My nephews had issues charging, so she looked at buying one. Couldn't find one for months. We were lucky to get one by Christmas time. Pretty much all the schools standardized on Chromebook, probably because they are cheap. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

If Apple could get a $500-$600 laptop with their Apple silicon (maybe not necessarily M1 but maybe a slower, cheaper arm processor with maybe less cores) I think they would absolutely give Chromebooks a run for their money. But, I don't think that's what Apple is going for.

hmm...taking a cue from their iphone products, I wonder them repurposing the current Mac Air into a Macbook SE in  a year or two.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

think they would absolutely give Chromebooks a run for their money. But, I don't think that's what Apple is going for.

Cheapest Chromebook is like $150. I think thats what most parents are looking at, is the price. Why would they pay $500 for something when they could buy a competitors product for less? On top of the fact Chromebook's are only used this much because educational organizations decided to standardize on the Chromebook, because they are cheap. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

since chrome os is technically Linux you could say that Linux has now surpassed MacOS

Thank you so much for this! This literally made my day. 

7 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

since chrome os is technically Linux you could say that Linux has now surpassed MacOS

BREAKING NEWS: Talking crystals are now the most used computer after overtaking AbacusOS. Egyptians are FURIOUS!

My question is going to be HOW THE F#CK IS LINUX STILL AT THE BOTTOM?!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

BREAKING NEWS: Talking crystals are now the most used computer after overtaking AbacusOS. Egyptians are FURIOUS!

Windows has the history and people claim compatibility, even if they don't game and none of their old software will run on a new one anyway.

MacOS has Mac people, and some folks switching due to iOS/WatchOS.

ChromeOS has people/places that want bottom dollar regardless of function...typically schools.

Linux...gets people fed up with any of the above...and most people then go back to one of the above after the user experience.

I love Linux, but I've tried to daily drive it many many times, and the experience is always horrific...and I'm an old IT guy and privacy/security nut.  The draw to Linux by the folks who actually want Linux, and who work on creating/updating Linux, is just opposite of the draw for the mass market.  What they need to do is create defaults and simplicity of options with wizards that actually work for ease of use for the mass market, then hide everything else behind an "Advanced" button.  Then they need to have a unified UI and package structure so Linux here is like Linux there and programs don't run on only some linux stuff and not others...and then things need to be properly maintained and have good import/migration tools so users don't need to think to get there.  Those would go a long way towards making Linux MUCH more "mass market" usable, while retaining what the current Linux core people like.

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

If Apple could get a $500-$600 laptop with their Apple silicon (maybe not necessarily M1 but maybe a slower, cheaper arm processor with maybe less cores)

Theoretical cheap Mac would be Apple bringing back the polycarbonate MacBook from 2008 plus the following:

• macOS Big Sur 
  • A12 chip (2 performance cores + 4 power efficient cores), same chip with the iPhone Xs and 8th gen iPad
  • 8 GB unified memory 
  • 256/512 GB soldered SATA SSD to cut down price or even something as bad as the fusion drive at the base
  • 1366 x 768 1920 x 1080 resolution, 13” TN display (not IPS) so crappy viewing angles 
  • Diving board plastic trackpad (not the force touch glass trackpad) 
  • 2 USB C ports and 1 USB A 
  • no Touch ID 
  • may or may not have backlit illuminated scissor switch keyboard 
  • 480p iSight FaceTime camera 
  • Might come with $100 worth of iTunes gift cards for qualifying students 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

It's a race to the bottom. Not sure which of the two is a bigger pile of garbage...

I'd assume googles marketshare increase is due to school boards forcing children to utilize the OS for school work.

Why wait until the kids an adult to create an advertising profile when you can get a head start while their still in elementry school?

8 hours ago, wamred said:

Thank you so much for this! This literally made my day. 

some might say this is the year of the Linux desktop though it's probably not what they expected or hoped for

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

because you'd have to install it most of the time

5 hours ago, justpoet said:

What they need to do is create defaults and simplicity of options with wizards that actually work for ease of use for the mass market,

5 hours ago, justpoet said:

Then they need to have a unified UI and package structure

there is a " Linux " that already does that. It's called Chrome OS and has just overtaken MacOS in marcetshare.

and it has one big advantage: it's often preinstalled

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Not too surprising, but still, they're much cheaper and if less techy people just need web browsing and some doc write, I guess makes sense. I just don't buy student part at all.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sure, if it makes you sleep better at night. In my opinion, it has been modified so much that Linux part is nearly unrecognizable in the user desktop perspective.

ChromeOS addresses a mass number of issues that the Linux community has been very against in tackling (at least in all big distros). If they did, maybe a Linux based OS (not modified to a point of being unrecognizable, I mean), could probably be more used than Windows. But anyways, that is of course, just my opinion.

Even if those issues were addressed, they don’t have the power of google’s marketing to actually do it. 

it takes a lot for open source stuff to get popular because of the lack of marketing (which is all mainstream looks at, they aren’t like *us*) 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, justpoet said:

but I've tried to daily drive it many many times, and the experience is always horrific..

I've tried to run it on my laptop (which isn't even my daily driver) and the experience is never good enough to keep me there, I always just throw windows back on it because it does everything I need it to with having to dick around in the terminal and installing God knows what because a thread told me to just to get basic things to work right for me. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You seem to describe the experience of Netbooks, back in the days (ok its was worse, depending on the model you got)

As long as you used XP, it wasn't THAT bad.

Windows 7 was a bad idea...

Yes I've recently used it. I have an aspire one sitting next to me with Lubuntu, Windows 7 and XP. Still play games on it 😄

It's an interesting time capsule.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

10 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

there is a " Linux " that already does that. It's called Chrome OS and has just overtaken MacOS in marcetshare.

and it has one big advantage: it's often preinstalled

That's actually part of the problem, not something that "already does that".  It isn't unified for Linux, Chrome OS is just yet another "this distro and branches only" package and UI API availability structure, causing yet more fracturing of the install base, support, etc...

Haters gonna hate, ChromeOS is great. Niche use case? Absolutely. But does it destroy any other OS for that use case? Damn right it does.

Most of this likely comes from schools buying them up. Cheap to buy, generally fairly durable, easy to admin and enterprise enroll, and good for basically everything schools will need done on a computer (basic research, document writing, etc).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Haters gonna hate, ChromeOS is great. Niche use case? Absolutely. But does it destroy any other OS for that use case? Damn right it does.

Most of this likely comes from schools buying them up. Cheap to buy, generally fairly durable, easy to admin and enterprise enroll, and good for basically everything schools will need done on a computer (basic research, document writing, etc).

you're right. it's easy to use, it's fast ( relatively on the devices it's typically installed on )

chrome OS brought desktop Linux to the masses , though like i already said not like the " linux people imagined "

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler