21H1 Windows 10 Update Announced - Out Now!

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

My reaction to someone else posting the news other than yourself:

Spoiler

photo-1241.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

7 hours ago, StDragon said:

1909 will be EOLed on May 11, 2021. So while you can continue to use it, don't expect support from Microsoft. You'll be left in the cold, and Microsoft's official "fix" will be to upgrade to a build that's still supported such as 2004 or newer.

Where's the "pissed off" icon for this?

We are going to have great fun at the office when 3/4 of our systems are on 1909 because (surprise!) the majority of our software isn't certified to work on anything newer.

You know, computers were supposed to free up from the drudgery, and allow us (humanity) to concentrate of building a better world, instead we're held back babysitting a fucking OS that can't leave well enough alone. 🤬

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

53 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Where's the "pissed off" icon for this?

We are going to have great fun at the office when 3/4 of our systems are on 1909 because (surprise!) the majority of our software isn't certified to work on anything newer.

You know, computers were supposed to free up from the drudgery, and allow us (humanity) to concentrate of building a better world, instead we're held back babysitting a fucking OS that can't leave well enough alone. 🤬

I think your problem isn't the OS, but the software you use. Consider an alternative solution, if custom, then write better contracts, or do in-house.

This "problem" you mention, isn't new. I worked at companies that had software that would be version block to Windows XP SP1. If you update to SP2 (by the way SP3 was out and Vista was about to be released), the software would show a message on how to contact the software developer for contract renewal to make the software work with the now, current environment. For reference, the system in question was exposed to the internet, and carried sensitive information. The better news is that the company went bust ages and ages ago. But yes, it was a news in the making waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think your problem isn't the OS, but the software you use. Consider an alternative solution, if custom, then write better contracts, or do in-house.

It's bespoke systems for a NBC laboratory. Not much choice TBH when it comes to options. Hell, one of our main LightCyclers is only certified if the core OS is...get this....

Windows XP SP2 (and nothing else)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's bespoke systems for a NBC laboratory. Not much choice TBH when it comes to options. Hell, one of our main LightCyclers is only certified if the core OS is...get this....

Windows XP SP2 (and nothing else)

🤦‍♂️

And that is why I am all for in-house soft-development.

• Cheaper
  • Always certified
  • Always adapted to current employees/user/company needs (some changes can be done in less than a week)
  • No waste of time of hours on end of meeting with a firm to setup requirements that should be absolutely perfect that once the contract is done, it is all over
  • No need to hire professional contract negotiators (or don't and get screwed over with a terrible deal for the company (i.e: no support, or terrible support window after a new project is done... permits poor coding quality to have bugs, to have those contract renewal... etc.)

But that won't change anytime soon. Mainly because you have a great number of people who don't know software, and thinks that a software is like a piece of furniture. One it's built/done, it's done. It is perfect. Maintenance is forgotten. 

Anyway, different topic.

18 hours ago, shermantanker said:

I saw that he beat you to it lol. Your twice a year posts are the highlight of my year on this forum.

Thanks man! Really appreciate it! That is actually very nice of you to say this. 😄

It is typically, genuinely, very time consuming to do. This one has nothing (for once) as explained in my thread. Microsoft release notes (which tend to be released after my posting) doesn't have the same level of details as they are more focused on larger changes at the typical end user level

I try to bring a focus (whenever possible) to the target audience here as well (one of the reasons I don't cover the changes in the built-in apps, which tend to be released right before a new version of Windows 10 is released anyways). I have to keep track of the changes on the Insider Preview builds, remove what didn't make the mark (and sometimes I am even wrong, as Microsoft ends up not putting something at the last minute, and is shifted to next year, or just released much later, especially if it has a web backend which doesn't actually need an OS update), and do a write up which takes a good portion of my day.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

in-house soft-development.

I think why many companies dont do this is it’s challenging to find developers. Shit I see so many dev jobs posted. But after talking to a dev, I’m not sure I’d want to get in to that type of work. 

Also to many companies have the it works for our needs or the the software ain’t broke so don’t fix it. I mean Microsoft is a good example. How much of Windows 10 is recycled code? Like all previous versions of Windows before it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

For clarification on 1909 mainstream EOL dates.

Windows 10, version 1909 (Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro for Workstations) - EOL on May 11, 2021

Windows 10, version 1909 (Enterprise, Education, IoT Enterprise) - EOL on May 10, 2022

So if you're licensed with Enterprise, you've got another year thereafter. Budget and plan accordingly. 😉

43 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think why many companies dont do this is it’s challenging to find developers. Shit I see so many dev jobs posted. But after talking to a dev, I’m not sure I’d want to get in to that type of work. 

A lot of times it is because the dev job being offered isn't matching the market reality or is contract based only and the time window is larger than the time provided of said contract (6-month contract for 1 year of work). I still recall job offering were they really ask for experienced software developer, and offer 30-35k Canadian per year. That is near minimum wage. Even a new grad won't take the job (unless the person is awful and desperate for a job)

Also to many companies have the it works for our needs or the the software ain’t broke so don’t fix it.

Sorry, I meant changing needs, if any. Many times, needs change. "Oh, it would be good if option A was easily accessible", or "We doing this and that now, it would be nice if it is can generate a report to the following for us....".

And yea, "software ain't broke don't fix" that is companies that dont' understand software. They treat it as hardware, and it isn't.

I mean Microsoft is a good example. How much of Windows 10 is recycled code? Like all previous versions of Windows before it. 

Well Windows is MASSIVE, so the code reuse is of course will be massive, but there is a massive amount also new. Now what is the definition of "new"? 

Windows 10X is pretty much all new (if we consider Windows 10 advancements at release and since then "new", and not old from Windows 2000 days, say), and it has so far, many things fairly unique to that OS.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, GoodBytes said:

and offer 30-35k

I work for the gov't. Low pay is par for the course, and those who take that level pf pay...are pretty bad programmers. It's a vicious cycle. You want good programmers? Pay market rate.

• 2 months later...

News Update

Took some time, however the update is now release:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/05/18/how-to-get-the-windows-10-may-2021-update/

You can now download it via Windows Update (release, as always, in waves), or force the update (not recommended) via Media Creation Tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

On 2/18/2021 at 4:07 PM, Vanderburg said:

When are they going to start unifying everything? It's like 3 different OSs. Can I have a single UI, please?

You've got your wish lol. Win.10X is dead  -  They're introducing the improvements into Win 10. - And they're finally unifying the design after being asked to do so for 5 years. They're removing Win 95, Windows 3.1 and Windows XP era graphics in favour of updated Icons and textboxes.

Seems like using the ISO to upgrade wont work....
21h1.jpg

(My gaming PC, on 20h2.... [why iso? sc delete wuauserv ofc])
/EDIT

media cration tool, and the upgrade tool: same result

26 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Seems like using the ISO to upgrade wont work....
21h1.jpg

(My gaming PC, on 20h2.... [why iso? sc delete wuauserv ofc])
/EDIT

media cration tool, and the upgrade tool: same result

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

You should be able to download Windows Update Assistant on this link. I've updated 2 systems this way so far and just in process of updating 3rd one just now.

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

You should be able to download Windows Update Assistant on this link. I've updated 2 systems this way so far and just in process of updating 3rd one just now.

Tried that too, same result..... I actually have a small pc for internal use (cut off from the net) if i need a windows only tool and it wouldnt upgrade on that one too. Will see if this issue starts popping up anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Tried that too, same result..... I actually have a small pc for internal use (cut off from the net) if i need a windows only tool and it wouldnt upgrade on that one too. Will see if this issue starts popping up anywhere else.

Only once it happened that Update Assistant blocked the update on one of my laptops due to some compatibility issues, I think it was with WLAN drivers. After updating the driver, it allowed me to install Windows. But it clearly stated what the issue was and why update was blocked as a result. Did you get any message that says why it can't continue?

6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Only once it happened that Update Assistant blocked the update on one of my laptops due to some compatibility issues, I think it was with WLAN drivers. After updating the driver, it allowed me to install Windows. But it clearly stated what the issue was and why update was blocked as a result. Did you get any message that says why it can't continue?

Nothing, it says my machine is compatible, goes ahead and downloads stuff then it shows the above window with keep settings and files option grayed out.....

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Nothing, it says my machine is compatible, goes ahead and downloads stuff then it shows the above window with keep settings and files option grayed out.....

See, this is why it confuses me. I never ever got asked about that. It just updates seamlessly. Only times I got that was when I was either refreshing installation of Windows 10 or updating it from ISO. And I update this way basically on every major update because I don't want to wait for weeks to get it regular way via Windows Update.

Meanwhile, I can't update to 20H2 ("There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later"), no matter how many times I try, and the error message is apparently meaningless. And the Windows key still doesn't open search, and clicking on certain windows in the taskbar reliably won't bring them to the front.

At this point, MacOS is looking tempting for anything save gaming. 

1 hour ago, Morgan Everett said:

At this point, MacOS is looking tempting for anything save gaming. 

MacOS has its own set of problems. Better to stick with the devil you know.

FYI, I keep a history of old Window 10 builds in ISO. Normally the the bloat increases over time, but 21H1 is smaller then 20H2.

21H1.iso = 4.24 GB

20H2.iso = 4.56 GB

1909.iso = 3.99 GB

1903.iso = 3.93 GB

1803.iso = 3.46 GB

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

FYI, I keep a history of old Window 10 builds in ISO. Normally the the bloat increases over time, but 21H1 is smaller then 20H2.

21H1.iso = 4.24 GB

20H2.iso = 4.56 GB

1909.iso = 3.99 GB

1903.iso = 3.93 GB

1803.iso = 3.46 GB

Where did you find them? I'd like to do that but I'm having trouble finding anything older than 1909.

elephants