The 20 biggest announcements from yesterday's Nintendo Direct

wall03

Summary

For the first time in over a year, Nintendo hosted a full-fledged Direct presentation. The latest presentation was focused mostly on games slated to hit Nintendo’s hybrid gaming console, the Switch, sometime during the first half of 2021, though
there were a few announcements for games that will hit later than that.

Quotes

The third installment in the Splatoon franchise is slated to launch in 2022. Not much is known about the game, aside from a new desert locale, but game appears to feature the same paint-shooting action from previous entries.

Nintendo announced The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, a re-release of the 2011 Wii U exclusive. The game will launch alongside a new pair of Zelda-themed Joy-Cons. Nintendo also said it would share more information about the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild later this year.

Mario Golf Super Rush is the first Mario Golf title for Nintendo’s hybrid console. The game will feature motion controls, new modes, and a story campaign.

Several Mario-themed items and furniture will be purchasable via the Nook Shop in Animal Crossing: New Horizons beginning March 1st. Nintendo also confirmed that a free update will arrive on February 25th.

Mediatonic’s goofy platformer battle royale title Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout will receive a Nintendo Switch port. No release date was announced, but the game is targeting a summer launch window.

My thoughts

New games are nice to see, but I don't own a Switch

Sources

The 20 biggest announcements from today’s Nintendo Direct - The Verge

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Breath of the Wild 2 is the new Elder Scrolls 6 at this point. What's it been, almost 2 years since that teaser? 

I was really impressed with Wind Waker HD, but Twilight Princess HD was just a lazy retexture. Skyward Sword 'HD' looks even worse. There is a Dolphin emulator mod made by one guy in his spare time and it beats the piss out of the official Nintendo remaster. 

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Breath of the Wild 2 is the new Elder Scrolls 6 at this point. What's it been, almost 2 years since that teaser? 

I was really impressed with Wind Waker HD, but Twilight Princess HD was just a lazy retexture. Skyward Sword 'HD' looks even worse. There is a Dolphin emulator mod made by one guy in his spare time and it beats the piss out of the official Nintendo remaster. 

my heart stopped when the i saw him talking about botw2. My heart started again right after.

I could care less about splatoon and skyrim sword lol

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

my heart stopped when the i saw him talking about botw2. My heart started again right after.

I could care less about splatoon and skyrim sword lol

Skyrim Sword lmfao. But yeah, that is the laziest remaster I have ever seen. Absolute piss work by Nintendo. They haven't even changed anything, just ported the game to switch, and it was never a good Zelda game anyway. 

Just now, seee the state im in nooow said:

do the new games make you wish you had one?

no, I can't afford one anyway, but PC FTW

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

14 minutes ago, Franck said:

How is this belonging to the news section ?

not everything has too be about PC hardware. We haven't had a direct in almost 2 years so I think this is news

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

50 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I think it looks pretty good actually from what they show and am not that impressed witht he 4k video vs the HD remaster so far. Importantly to me they managed to retain the original feel of it. For the interested folks here's a side by side between Wii and Switch:

It does seem to me the remaster might be a tad less vibrant than the original, but maybe the blur of the old low resolution is tricking my eyes.

I don't own a Switch yet, but this may just put me over the edge. Skyward Sword is one of my favourite Zelda games of all time and I'd be very excited to relive it again. It does make me wonder what's up with the industry lately revisiting a lot of the old classics.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I’d like a BOTW PC port.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

21 hours ago, Franck said:

How is this belonging to the news section ?

Its a new event that warrants discussion from people who are interested, the typical definition of news.

21 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Not even close. Did you hear the recent rumour that ES6 might not come until 2026/2027? Remember Bethesda still have Starfield coming before ES6 and we still haven't really seen that properly yet.

BoTW1 went through multiple delays and that was pre covid, it was supposed to be a mid life Wii U game, when it finally dropped the Switch was released. Remember that Nintendo won't show or release anything until its ready to be shown and finished.

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I’d like a BOTW PC port.

With the right GPU, CEMU can run BOTW at 4K and still maintain over 30FPS all of the time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Remember that Nintendo won't show or release anything until its ready to be shown and finished.

I think we should at least have been shown something. All we've got is the 2-year-old teaser. Last few Nintendo Directs we got things like 'DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power', 'WWE 2k Battlegrounds', and Smash Waifu. Yes, better late than Cyberpunk, but a good quarter of people who watched the direct presumably feel the same about getting some new information. I think the atrocious 'remaster' of Skyward Sword just added insult to injury.

I’d like a BOTW PC port.

image.thumb.png.b80a93113cd2724a3138691a94e85185.png

you mean like this running at a flawless locked 30FPS?

you can bump it up to 60FPS but then physics gets weird. the best example i've had is thunderblight yeeting himself out of Naboris and then never seeing him again

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I’d like a BOTW PC port.

IMO Botw on CEMU is the definitive edition. Looks better, runs better, and is shockingly good with keyboard and mouse.

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

you can bump it up to 60FPS but then physics gets weird. the best example i've had is thunderblight yeeting himself out of Naboris and then never seeing him again

It runs fine on 60fps now without any major bugs, they've made a lot of progress, you just have to install a litany of patches.

22 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Wasn't WW hd effectively some QoL and reshade?

22 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Skyrim Sword lmfao. But yeah, that is the laziest remaster I have ever seen. Absolute piss work by Nintendo. They haven't even changed anything, just ported the game to switch, and it was never a good Zelda game anyway. 

SSHD has 60fps, so I wouldn't say its the laziest. WW and TP both retained the 30fps of the originals.

14 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I’d like a BOTW PC port.

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

image.thumb.png.b80a93113cd2724a3138691a94e85185.png

you mean like this running at a flawless locked 30FPS?

I believe what you're actually looking for is Genshin Impact 😂

We really need a Kappa emote here lol

7 hours ago, Dr_Whom said:

Genshin Impact 

🤢🤢

🤮🤮

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, Dr_Whom said:

I believe what you're actually looking for is Genshin Impact 😂

We really need a Kappa emote here lol

your inside gamery jibe is lost on me.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Dude it was hype for me.

• Splatoon 3, LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • No More Heroes 3 has a release date, HELL YEAH! I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG
  • Pyra and Mythra in smash, I was losing my shit!  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my favorite JRPG of all time so seeing them in smash is HYPE
  • The Monster Hunter Rise controller is dope.  I am needing a second pro controller as it is, cause I like to have at least two official controllers for every console.  I'll see if I'm able to grab it in store cause I missed the preorder, as they're all sold out.
  • Skyward Sword HD.  Hell yeah!  It has a more regular control scheme now, it's opened up to way more people now. HD, duh.  They have it in 60fps, which means they really had to put work into the physics engine, since Zelda games are notorious for doing funky shit with tying together physics and framerate.  I'm going to wait and see what more they put into it, as we only saw about 30 seconds so far.  The controls alone is dope though, people forget how much people dissed on the motion controls of the original.  (still glad they kept motion controls too though)
    • Speaking of Skyward Sword HD, those joycon.  Omg I want those joycon.
  • New Mario Golf.  I actually like the Mario Sports series, and I'm not a big sports video games person.  So this is dope, love to se the return of Miis outside of smash also.
  • Miitopia.  I missed it on 3DS, so to see it here is awesome for me.  I'll definitely be checking it out. 
  • The Famicom Detective Club series is pretty neat, tbh.  I'm always down for finally being able to play games that were previously stuck in Japan only.  Even if it's not much, it's still neat to have. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

5 hours ago, comander said:

Some people would rather pay $$$ than open themselves up to legal risk. 

$3000ish for 60 games you actually give a damn about over the course of a lifetime beats the cost of a lawyer. 

Using dolphin emulator isn't illegal. You can use your own Wii game CD to build the WBFS file to use with Dolphin. You can download the wbfs and it's legal, provided you already own the game. And I can guarantee you that Nintendo isn't going after the guys who download the files anyway without owning the games.

4 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

your inside gamery jibe is lost on me.

Oh sorry, I figured it was common knowledge among BotW fans lol. Genshin Impact is one of those weeb gacha games that people call a rip off of BotW cause it has a very similar art style, assets, combat, gameplay, etc. 

Unless you're talking about the Kappa emote thing. That's an emote on Twitch that's usually used to denote a joke or troll comment, similar to /s I guess?

21 hours ago, comander said:

Some people would rather pay $$$ than open themselves up to legal risk. 

$3000ish for 60 games you actually give a damn about over the course of a lifetime beats the cost of a lawyer. 

Or they use DNS over https+opendns or other dns solution of their choice+ a non-shit vpn.

I've got Zelda SS and Mario Golf SR on pre-order.

Gonna be a decent summer at least for my Switch.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3