Anticheat game could run on linux!

Hi,

sorry if I mess something up, it's my first post.

A new linux kernel, 5.11, was released a few days ago with a new thing called syscall user dispatch. This allows to return system calls to api, so for example wine could handle them. There was implementation for this, but it was so slow, it was unusefull for games and other software.

This could allow basically any game that is now unplayable due to anticheat or drm to run with little performance hit.

Valve hired some collabora developers, from what I know, and is working on this, so we're almost guaranteed that there will be proton support coming for it.

With denuvo anticheat support for linux (it's in steam works), amd hiring some linux developers it looks like an awesome year for linux gaming and linux I general.

What do you think?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/syscall-user-dispatch.html

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Syscall-User-Dispatch

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

not sure if i would call denuvo support a "step forward" for gaming on linux....but it at least shows interest in some capacity.

Likei you're right, not many games are using it, but someone is developing it, so if it gets some attention, maybe, just maybe, it could bring more people into developing anticheats and other stuff for linux.

2 minutes ago, jiriks74 said:

Likei you're right, not many games are using it, but someone is developing it, so if it gets some attention, maybe, just maybe, it could bring more people into developing anticheats and other stuff for linux.

I doubt that was a point about how popular denuvo is or isn't and one about how garbage that it is and it running on Linux is therefore a step backwards.

Just now, leadeater said:

I doubt that was a point about how popular denuvo is or isn't and one about how garbage that it is and it running on Linux is therefore a step backwards.

I didn't mean it like "tilting point" but interest in making things work is always good. And since Valve is involved in syscall user dispatch and the denuvo, i think it will only get better.

I love what Valve does for linux, but I doubt they have much profit from the support they make. I'm not complying, but why would they do that?

If we could get EAC games running on Linux that would be great

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

46 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

If we could get EAC games running on Linux that would be great

I thought that was being worked on already?

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Not that I disagree with the point (I 100% agree) but its generally speaking the big hit games that use Denuvo and if Linux wants to be taken seriously as a gaming platform it needs the big AAA releases running at or close to their launch on other platforms.

Denuvo on Linux is a necessary evil, unfortunately.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Like it or not, being able to play fortnite on linux would be a big deal... That's keeping a bunch of gamers on windows.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

10 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

The question is, did average age Fortnite player ever hear of Linux? Do they even know that Windows is not the only desktop OS in existence?

As they say, build it and they will come.

Gaming on Linux has improved hugely over the past 5 years, what's holding it back is the lack of big name games, the devs of those games have no real incentive to port to Linux because the libraries aren't available and the target audience is tiny (compared to Windows) and the reason why the audience is tiny is because there's no big games. Its a catch 22 and someone has to break the cycle.

Getting native Linux libraries to handle things like anti cheat is a big step forward however I still have my doubts whether the really big studios will care about the 1.5ish% of Linux Desktop users even then. They have to be able to make significantly more in return than it costs to port for it to be a worthwhile investment and we all know how the big studios will call a multi million copies sold game a failure because it only made them $20m when they forecasted it to make $30m.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

52 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I thought that was being worked on already?

yes'nt it was actually working for a bit before epic bought EAC and since then there hasnt really been any breakthroughs as far as i am aware. There have been a coupple "Oh hey there is a CHANCE!" moments but thats about it from what ive seen. Maybe ive just missed some massive lets get EAC working again project but i doubt it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes'nt it was actually working for a bit before epic bought EAC and since then there hasnt really been any breakthroughs as far as i am aware. There have been a coupple "Oh hey there is a CHANCE!" moments but thats about it from what ive seen. Maybe ive just missed some massive lets get EAC working again project but i doubt it

I found a post on reddit from dev who was making it work and he has made it. It worked but as soon as he's done it they released an update to break it.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

As they say, build it and they will come.

Gaming on Linux has improved hugely over the past 5 years, what's holding it back is the lack of big name games, the devs of those games have no real incentive to port to Linux because the libraries aren't available and the target audience is tiny (compared to Windows) and the reason why the audience is tiny is because there's no big games. Its a catch 22 and someone has to break the cycle.

Getting native Linux libraries to handle things like anti cheat is a big step forward however I still have my doubts whether the really big studios will care about the 1.5ish% of Linux Desktop users even then. They have to be able to make significantly more in return than it costs to port for it to be a worthwhile investment and we all know how the big studios will call a multi million copies sold game a failure because it only made them $20m when they forecasted it to make $30m.

4 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

The question is, did average age Fortnite player ever hear of Linux? Do they even know that Windows is not the only desktop OS in existence?

Exactly, there might not be a lot. But if someone now even conciders it, the first thing they check is if something is avalible.
When it comes to Linux, every extra posibillity is a good thing.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

This would be amazing for people who like playing csgo on faceit but hate windows

1 hour ago, dbx10 said:

This would be amazing for people who like playing csgo on faceit but hate windows

I stopped playing csgo, because I took so many toxic people and cheaters one right after another that I stopped playing competitive. I'd play faceit, but the anticheat and windows...
I have dualboot, but the windows takes 20 minutes, no joking, to load up for whatever reason.

If it was for me, I would have made intrusive anti-cheat software illegal everywhere outside official competitions. As 1) no one should be forced to give access to the entire system and all the data to be able to play some stupid game and 2) AFAIK, this software does not prevent cheating anyway. And I'll never play any game with Denuvo, be it on Windows or Linux.