First Apple Silicon M1 malware discovered in the wild

wall03
11 hours ago, lafrente said:

A- Cure cancer with a single pill

B- Treat it for 25 years

It WILL always choose the option B. That's not a conspiracy theory, that's a fact.

You do know medical research is done outside the US too, world leading research, that is tax payer funded through public academic institutions. Option B means nothing to entities and academics who receive funding contingent on the basis of academic research output devoid of any potential commercial opportunities thereafter. 

Sure some for profit pharmaceutical company might pick up that research and develop it in to a market ready product but that's not going to prevent a cure for cancer being found.

The conspiracy theory you're leaning on is the one that somehow pharmaceutical companies are able to control and stifle all global research to prevent cures of diseases and illnesses being found while also ignoring that they are perfectly able to make profit off other things anyway, we aren't going to run out of potential products they can develop and sell.

And the longer a person is alive for the more money you can extract from them, a person dying of cancer is the end of a current or potential revenue stream.

This article is a nothing burger. You have to download this malware app and install it for it do anything. Unless you visit shady websites and download files from untrusted sources, it won’t impact you.

11 hours ago, lafrente said:

You're talking about capitalism yet you got no clue how it works. If a pharmacy company has an option to 

A- Cure cancer with a single pill

B- Treat it for 25 years

It WILL always choose the option B. That's not a conspiracy theory, that's a fact.

I don’t know how cancer, computer malware and big pharma conspiracy made its way here. Here’s the thing, if I happen to discover a cure for cancer, I’d take option A and you know why? Cancer is an evolving disease, just because I happen to cure stage 4 melanoma doesn’t mean there wouldn’t be other cancers out there because the best way to NOT get cancer is to not be born! 

Spoiler

E163F9CE-6F8F-44B0-B000-E264738BC076.thumb.png.a166295f908d95bf95b692ab342f7bbb.png
-Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease 9th edition, p. 275

Sure, quality of life will improve with proper lifestyle, but diseases too evolve and change. 

12 hours ago, lafrente said:

You're definitely making a lot of noise for someone who says nothing. Ding ding, boy. Antivirus companies made $40bil last year. That's about Russia's annual military budget. 

I don’t know where you’ve gotten those figures, but I’m pretty sure Symantec (now owned by Broadcom), Kaspersky Lab, et.al aren’t worth $40 billion. 

12 hours ago, lafrente said:

As long as there are paid antivirus softwares, there will be viruses. Unfortunately it's not the other way round.

Do you really think that if people start using free AV, it’ll mean computer malware will disappear in the face of the world? I didn’t know that the tech urban legend from early 2000s that AV vendors themselves make malware hasn’t died yet.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 hours ago, wall03 said:

90 days is a while though

I took 90 days to be found 😉 

obviously it's part of the course though

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels like a belief held by mainly Americans who don't understand that in most countries, having sick people directly relates in loss of money. For example most countries in the EU has free healthcare, so those countries are quadruple incentivized to find a cure.

It's a net loss of money in the US as well, more so than in many countries with government funded health care, just not for the pharma companies 😛 though of course the idea that they purposefully make us sick is absurd considering humans tend to get sick on their own anyway

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I never get the whole "big pharma wants to keep us sick" conspiracy theory.

Conspiracy theories...like many "beliefs"...are a way to explain a scary universe that's beyond your control. It's easier to believe in shadowy forces acting against you then the simple uncarring world.  "Why can't we cure cancer?" Not because it's beyond the realm of current science despite all the money and resources put to it...it's some plot!

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

42 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Conspiracy theories...like many "beliefs"...are a way to explain a scary universe that's beyond your control. It's easier to believe in shadowy forces acting against you then the simple uncarring world.  "Why can't we cure cancer?" Not because it's beyond the realm of current science despite all the money and resources put to it...it's some plot!

Just like malware. If we can't just eradicate it entirely with 100% precision, it must be some security company conspiracy to keep us all in fear and to sell antivirus software to people. Somehow.

Just now, Spindel said:

This thread has taken a strange turn

Mostly because people have no clue what they are talking about and then it all turns into a clusterfuck. Partially also existence of this thread itself. Malware is just software like any program, of course it'll be coded for ARM Macs from now on. Real news would be they found some hardware flaw or vulnerability in it already. That would be entirely different thing.

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Mostly because people have no clue what they are talking about and then it all turns into a clusterfuck. Partially also existence of this thread itself. Malware is just software like any program, of course it'll be coded for ARM Macs from now on. Real news would be they found some hardware flaw or vulnerability in it already. That would be entirely different thing.

A fair few people are acting as if the M1 is a completely new type of CPU, maybe even the next coming of christ...when it is really just ARM done extremely well. Those are the people most surprised at malware being a thing on M1 Macbooks.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

18 hours ago, ProjectBox153 said:

In all honesty, they don't in a lot of cases. 

Yeah, because nobody bothers coding for them, as they drop in the ocean compared to Windows machines out there.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 hours ago, Spindel said:

This thread has taken a strange turn

This isnt what you call conversations?

✨FNIGE✨

I imagine more M1 ported android/apple viruses to appear soon.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition