10 gig network not getting 10 gig speeds need help

MasonBobo

Hello all, 

I have a 1 gig down and about 30 meg up cable internet connection (the fastest that I can get in my area) that feeds into an Ubiquity Edge Router 4 then to a Ubiquity Edgeswitch 8 for my access points, raspberry pi (pi hole), cloud key etc. then to a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN for my three main computers. My gaming rig has onboard 10 gig and works fine as it is directly connected to the CRS305-1G-4S+IN with a short ethernet cable. The other two computers are connected through about 75 feet of cat 7 outdoor rated cable with shielded connectors. Each computer has a 10 gig nic installed but they only register at 5 gig and only transfer at 2 gig speeds. I have tested each cable and they work as they should. I don't understand why I'm not achieving the speeds that I should be. Please help, any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Well it all depends on the hardware installed. If you are reading/writing from an HDD you'll won't get past 2gig but if you have SSD's you will see about 5gbit or even 10 if nvme/raid0

Edit: also what NICs are you using? The Switch is SFP+ but I don't know any desktop board with that. AFAIK sfp+ also only supports 1 and 10g and not the 2.5g or 5g steps. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

My gaming rig has an asrock motherboard (I don't know the model and I'm at work at the moment) with 10 gig ethernet built in. The other two have trendnet TEG-10GECTX cards. These cards are RJ45 not SFP+ and they support 1, 2.5, 5 and 10g speeds. I brought one of my computers into my office and connected it to the CRS305-1G-4S+IN and I got 10 gig but I return it to the other room upstairs and it goes back to 5 gig. I don't understand why. The cat 7 run is less than 75 feet. It's probably around 50 feet really. I don't understand. I have ordered Intel X540T1 cards to see if that makes a difference. 

My gaming rig also serves as a media server with Iron Wolf 10 TB drives x 4 I also have (2) 1 gig NVME M.2 SSD. 1 for OS and 1 for games etc. 

Even with the bottle neck being at the drive level, the NIC should still register at 10G instead of 5G right?

The CRS305-1G-4S+IN has 4 ipolex ASF-10G-T SFP+ to RJ45 modules installed which show good up to 30 meters or 98 feet. I am well within this limit. 

I've tried to tune the cards but nothing changed. I enabled jumbo frames at 9k but it didn't make a difference. I set the MTU to 9k in windows and no difference. 

For some reason, when I log into the CRS305-1G-4S+IN and change it to boot into SyOS I can no longer log into it. Ive tried 192.168.88.1, Ive tried the mikrotik program that allows it to connect to the MAC address and neither works. The switch works, I just can't get into it to control it. 

I'd be tempted to blame the cable.  I bought a cable claiming cat 7 that also refuses to go above 5Gbit, vs a cat 6 cable I have that does 10Gbit fine.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I pulled out the Trendnet TEG-10GECTX cards and replaced them with Intel X540T1 cards and HOLY BANANAS!!!! We are 10 gigin all over the house. You really get what you pay for! Thank you to those who tried to help me. 

PS - I checked my cable and its solid copper not that copper clad aluminum stuff.