Should I Go Ultra-Wide ?

venomx

I don't mind getting an ultra-wide. However on YouTube some people have said you can't fill the screen with some games and therefore get cropped black bars on the screen

Also which is best, curved or flat ?

Looking at

https://www.box.co.uk/GB3461WQSU-B1-iiyama-G-Master-Red-Eagle-GB3461WQSU-B1-_2938493.html

OR

https://www.box.co.uk/iiyama-G-Master-Red-Eagle-GB3466WQSU-B1-_2961160.html

Monitor must be 144hz

I mean some movies might be ultrawide, but also depends if your system can handle ultrawide resolution, because it's more pixels.

Also if you don't mind black bars I mean you can just literally ignore them most of the time..

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

I mean some movies might be ultrawide, but also depends if your system can handle ultrawide resolution, because it's more pixels.

Also if you don't mind black bars I mean you can just literally ignore them most of the time..

I don't watch movies. Just gaming and browsing

hi, I currently have a MSI curved 34 inch 3440 x 1440 display and it's great. for a monitor that wide, curved is preferably because the viewing angle at the edges is much better. I also have a 29 inch 2560 x 1080 flat ultrawide. the face that it isn't curved is not a problem because its not as wide. both are great but obviously the cost of a curved (and wider) monitor is crucial.

Oh, and there are no black bars when I play Forza or WOW or any other games I've played

Love not hate

Just now, venomx said:

I don't watch movies. Just gaming and browsing

In most games you can change the aspect ratio, you know 4:3 16:9 or ultrawide if it's possible. Depends what games you play.

Also with ultrawide screen is almost like you have 2 monitors so it's easier to work on multiple windows on desktop.

And of course usually the wide monitors cost more.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I have been using an ultrawide for a few years. But in the end you'll probably be better off with a 16:9 monitor imo. You can get high-end 16:9 monitors for the price of a mid-range to entry level ultrawide. Game support for ultrawide is still not perfect and you will have to tinker a bit to make some games work.

I ended up back at a 16:9 monitor after having an ultrawide. It's just more convenient with flawless support in any half-modern game.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 minutes ago, venomx said:

What is ultra-wide like on browsing the web ?

makes no difference to the browser window but you can have multiple windows open

Love not hate

'most' games will run fine with 21:9, u may see some issues if u go 32:9.

Older modern games, like for example Diablo 3, may not 'officially' support anything beyond traditional 16:9. however some of those games may have workaround like D3 does.

if u have specific games in mind that u want to test urself u can do so by creating a custom resolution thats 21:9, setting scaling to be done on the GPU, then set it to 'not scale' and to 'override programs'. This will force games when set to that resolution to run with black bars. If the games UI , FoV, etc all look fine then all is well, if not then its not officially supported.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |