How to get sensor info on Win10 without admin rights?

tridy

Hi.

Is there a way of getting the temperature sensors info from the motherboard and cpu without administrator privileges? From what I see, HWiNFO requires admin rights to run.

I want to test how a computer behaves under stress (clocks and temps) but I do not have admin rights on this machine. Is there a way of achieving this, besides a live USB?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, tridy said:

Is there a way of getting the temperature sensors info from the motherboard and cpu without administrator privileges?

No, accessing the sensors requires access to the SMbus on the mobo and it'd be a massive security-vulnerability to just give access to that for normal users.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, accessing the sensors requires access to the SMbus on the mobo and it'd be a massive security-vulnerability to just give access to that for normal users.

Thanks for the info. Then I will try a live USB.

52 minutes ago, tridy said:

Thanks for the info. Then I will try a live USB.

Do you know if you can access boot? If this PC is for school/uni/workplace, the boot might be protected (for same security reasons).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

44 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Do you know if you can access boot? If this PC is for school/uni/workplace, the boot might be protected (for same security reasons).

Good point. It looks like the bios and boot options are not locked. Otherwise I would have to temporary swap the ssd. This one is not soldered at least :P.

Actually, you can... kinda of.

Windows does queries for its internal database which you can access (WMI - Windows Management Instrumentation).

But you are limited to what Windows gets, and it's nothing involved... it's at the mercy of the BIOS/UEFI providing that information to Windows.

So, they are chances that you get the value in Kelvin or Fahrenheit or just nothing (no support) or wrong (motherboard manufacture didn't test or broke something and just doesn't care)

Programs that show you the temperatures simply directly taps in the SMBus and communicates with the sensor directly (they usually support a wide variety of commonly used sensors).

If you want to test:

Open the command prompt and execute:
(Gets the CPU temp)

wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get CurrentTemperature

15 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, you can... kinda of.

Windows does queries for its internal database which you can access (WMI - Windows Management Instrumentation).

But you are limited to what Windows gets, and it's nothing involved... it's at the mercy of the BIOS/UEFI providing that information to Windows.

So, they are chances that you get the value in Kelvin or Fahrenheit or just nothing (no support) or wrong (motherboard manufacture didn't test or broke something and just doesn't care)

Programs that show you the temperatures simply directly taps in the SMBus and communicates with the sensor directly (they usually support a wide variety of commonly used sensors).

If you want to test:

Open the command prompt and execute:
(Gets the CPU temp)

wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get CurrentTemperature

How about seeing how much of CPU/RAM is being used? I would really like this when running heavy point cloud comparisons on school PCs and the software isn't being very informative about if the thing is working or not. Besides, it might help making my case about using personal PC...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

How about seeing how much of CPU/RAM is being used? I would really like this when running heavy point cloud comparisons on school PCs and the software isn't being very informative about if the thing is working or not. Besides, it might help making my case about using personal PC...

Just a note: On all commands bellow, caps of names and commands don't matter.

To get how much Free memory you have:

wmic OS get FreePhysicalMemory

To get the how much avail memory you have:

wmic ComputerSystem get TotalPhysicalMemory

To get memory speed:

wmic MemoryChip get DeviceLocator, Speed

Get everything that Windows can get about the system memory provided by the BIOS/UEFI:

wmic MemoryChip list full

To get everything from CPU that it can get (you cannot get the actual current CPU current clock, if I am not mistaken).

wmic CPU list full

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Just a note: On all commands bellow, caps of names and commands don't matter.

To get how much Free memory you have:

wmic OS get FreePhysicalMemory

To get the how much avail memory you have:

wmic ComputerSystem get TotalPhysicalMemory

To get memory speed:

wmic MemoryChip get DeviceLocator, Speed

Get everything that Windows can get about the system memory provided by the BIOS/UEFI:

wmic MemoryChip list full

To get everything from CPU that it can get (you cannot get the actual current CPU current clock, if I am not mistaken).

wmic CPU list full

Thanks for info, definetly testing these when I go to school again.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

that did not work for me:

C:\> wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get CurrentTemperature
Node - XXXXXXXXXXXX
ERROR:
Description = Access denied

C:\>

however all the other commands about memory and CPU did work in a non-admin cmd

I tried it on my own home machine (with admin rights) just to test, and got this:

C:\> wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get CurrentTemperature
CurrentTemperature

what does the value of 2982 represent?

11 minutes ago, tridy said:

I tried it on my own home machine (with admin rights) just to test, and got this:

CurrentTemperature

what does the value of 2982 represent?

I want to say in Kelvin, but that would mean 2708 degree C 🙂

I guess it is getting garbage from the BIOS/UEFI of your system. Don't worry, it's not working on my system on my side. One is returning 0, and the other one is returning "Not Found"

That's the problem with WMI, you are at the mercy of the BIOS/UEFI, and as Windows never actually ended up using many of the stats it collects, the BUIS/UEFI it is probably sending broken garbage because it wasn't tested as the end user isn't affected, so no complains, or it was just not implemented.

Now we know why Windows Task Manager doesn't report CPU temps. 🙂

Although, if they do, maybe it will start making vendors rush and implement support to stop getting calls that their CPUs is running at 2708 degree C. 😄

• 1 year later...

Just came to say that the temperature is actually in Kelvin multiplied by 10.

2982 * 0.1 K —> 25.05 deg C. That’s a nicely cooled CPU 🙂