3x120mm vs 2x14mm NOCTUA - NZXT H710

Hello.

I have a NZXT H710 case. 

My setup now is:

- Intake: NZXT 3xAer F120 Case Version, with dust filter in front.

- Exhaust: 3x120 Noctua NF-A12x25mm at top (over the radiator NZXT X73) and NZXT 1xAer F140 Case Version in the rear of the case. 

The NZXT Case version fans, is not PWM, and I want to have PWM fans for better control. 

I thinking about changing the AER intake fans with Noctua fans, but I don't know if I am going to replace the 3 fans with 2x140mm or 3x120mm. 

Would I get better cooling if I am going for 2x140mm (Noctua NF-A14 PWM) or would it be better to go with 3xNF-A12x25? 

In the "bottom" of the case I have 2x3,5 HDD and the PSU, so the fan at det bottom is cooling the HDD. 

37 minutes ago, LazyTurtle1990 said:

Hello.

I have a NZXT H710 case. 

My setup now is:

- Intake: NZXT 3xAer F120 Case Version, with dust filter in front.

- Exhaust: 3x120 Noctua NF-A12x25mm at top (over the radiator NZXT X73) and NZXT 1xAer F140 Case Version in the rear of the case. 

The NZXT Case version fans, is not PWM, and I want to have PWM fans for better control. 

I thinking about changing the AER intake fans with Noctua fans, but I don't know if I am going to replace the 3 fans with 2x140mm or 3x120mm. 

Would I get better cooling if I am going for 2x140mm (Noctua NF-A14 PWM) or would it be better to go with 3xNF-A12x25? 

In the "bottom" of the case I have 2x3,5 HDD and the PSU, so the fan at det bottom is cooling the HDD. 

The 2x140 moves more air and the 3x120 have higher preasure

12 minutes ago, Lukke said:

The 2x140 moves more air and the 3x120 have higher preasure

So which one is best for intake, when it's a dust filter in front of them? I have also thought about only have 2x120mm fans as intake also, but then again I will have much more exhaust. 

In your case (and any for that matter), 3 NF-A12x25's will outperform 2 NF-A14's. Especially in your rather restricted case the higher pressure of the A12x25 will help.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

In your case (and any for that matter), 3 NF-A12x25's will outperform 2 NF-A14's. Especially in your rather restricted case the higher pressure of the A12x25 will help.

Thank you! 

As for the rear exhaust, would that be the same? should I go for NF-A12x25 or NF-A14? 

I have also thought about Artic P12 PWM but since I allready have 3 noctua fans, I think I will have "all Noctua" for the fans, maybe stupid thinking? 

2 minutes ago, LazyTurtle1990 said:

Thank you! 

As for the rear exhaust, would that be the same? should I go for NF-A12x25 or NF-A14? 

I have also thought about Artic P12 PWM but since I allready have 3 noctua fans, I think I will have "all Noctua" for the fans, maybe stupid thinking? 

The rear exhaust doesn't really matter. It will likely be assisted with positive pressure due to having more intake fans than exhaust. You can go with either one of them. I personally prefer it when all fans are the same. I'm an all-nocuta person aswell and have 6 of the NF-A12x25 myself.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

The rear exhaust doesn't really matter. It will likely be assisted with positive pressure due to having more intake fans than exhaust. You can go with either one of them. I personally prefer it when all fans are the same. I'm an all-nocuta person aswell and have 6 of the NF-A12x25 myself.

Ahh good to know. Right now I have more exhaust than intakes 4.exhaust and 3 intakes), but I think maybe I should move the Radiator to the front, and have two exhaust in the top, or maybe let the fans at the top of the radiator be intakes as well, but i dont have dust filter at the top, but then I only have one exhaust. 

What do you think is best config? 

1. Have my setup as is: Radiator at the top with 3 NF-A12x25 as exhaust, 1 exhaust in the back, and 3 intakes in front. 

2. Move radiator to the front, with 3xNF-A12x25 fans as intakes + two NF-A12x25 in the top as exhaust, and one in the rear. - If I am going to go with this, it will be an empty space at the top of the case, where air will flow in and out without any control. Hope you understand what I am meaning. I have posted a pic to help you understand. 844176970_emptyspace.thumb.png.d7b663518ebadd4eb17aa900aeb8edb0.png

When including a 360mm rad I'd configure this case like this:

3 intake in front

3 exhaust and the rad at the top

1 exhaust at the back

Moving the radiator to the front will only further reduce your airflow. With the case limiting it too i wouldn't recommend it. Your radiator fans will move less air, so i'd say you have pretty neutral pressure with this setup.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

When including a 360mm rad I'd configure this case like this:

3 intake in front

3 exhaust and the rad at the top

1 exhaust at the back

Moving the radiator to the front will only further reduce your airflow. With the case limiting it too i wouldn't recommend it. Your radiator fans will move less air, so i'd say you have pretty neutral pressure with this setup.

Ahh many thanks. The fans is mounted at the top of the rad, I think that is a pull config? I have seen on LTT video where they tested temps if the fans was mounted under the rad, and pushing air thru the rad, and it was almost no difference, if I understood it right. Then I go for my setup as is, only changing the AER case fans, in front, and maybe in the back.. 

Just now, LazyTurtle1990 said:

Ahh many thanks. The fans is mounted at the top of the rad, I think that is a pull config? I have seen on LTT video where they tested temps if the fans was mounted under the rad, and pushing air thru the rad, and it was almost no difference, if I understood it right. Then I go for my setup as is, only changing the AER case fans, in front, and maybe in the back.. 

The push/pull performance depends on the fan. Some manufacturers explicitly state if the fan is best mounted in push or pull. But for the A12x25 it doesn't matter. Performance will be the same.

Just a side note, 3 or 4 NF-A12x25 fans will cost as much as an entire new case. As @narrdarr said, it might be worth it to just get another case alltogether.

29 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Just a side note, 3 or 4 NF-A12x25 fans will cost as much as an entire new case. As @narrdarr said, it might be worth it to just get another case alltogether.

I have thought about it, but I think I wil have Noctua fans also in an another case. 

One thing is the PWM opertunity, other thing is the noise, Noctua fans does not have so much noise, and I kind of like the noise they make, when they spin up. They does not have a high pitch or klick sound, as I have heard. The NZXT fans I hear, so I am not to happy with them. 

Any tip for a good case? I live in Norway and it was not so many cases in stock when I bought my computer. I earlier had CM Storm Stryker case, but it is to big. 

I have thought about Phanteks P500A and Fractal Design Meshify C

21 minutes ago, LazyTurtle1990 said:

I have thought about it, but I think I wil have Noctua fans also in an another case. 

One thing is the PWM opertunity, other thing is the noise, Noctua fans does not have so much noise, and I kind of like the noise they make, when they spin up. They does not have a high pitch or klick sound, as I have heard. The NZXT fans I hear, so I am not to happy with them. 

Any tip for a good case? I live in Norway and it was not so many cases in stock when I bought my computer. I earlier had CM Storm Stryker case, but it is to big. 

I have thought about Phanteks P500A and Fractal Design Meshify C

Great cases i normally recommend:

Fractal Meshify 2

Phanteks P300A/P360A/P400A/P500A (depends on the size you need)

be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX, Silent Base 802

Corsair 4000D Airflow

Cooler Master TD500, H500 ARGB

Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh

2 hours ago, LazyTurtle1990 said:

So which one is best for intake, when it's a dust filter in front of them? I have also thought about only have 2x120mm fans as intake also, but then again I will have much more exhaust. 

I think that you want much pressure where the intake is and you need to move a lot of air in the exhaust but it will not make a big difference

On 2/16/2021 at 11:57 AM, Stahlmann said:

Great cases i normally recommend:

Fractal Meshify 2

Phanteks P300A/P360A/P400A/P500A (depends on the size you need)

be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX, Silent Base 802

Corsair 4000D Airflow

Cooler Master TD500, H500 ARGB

Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh

Thank you, I think it will be P400A with rad in front, or P500A with rad on top. Maybe Corsair 400D Airflow, but then again the rad has to be in the front. 

I bought 3 NF-A12x25 and one NF-A14 yesterday and the temp is lower already, and when I hear the fans, I don't hear the high pitch sound, so that's nice. 

I don't want to buy a new rad now, as my rad is 2,5 weeks old, and it was expensive, 235USD or 19,51EUR. 

If I am going to change the cooler cause of changing the case, I thinking about a "clasic" cooler, as Noctua NH-U12A or Noctua NH-D15, as they are half of the price of NZXT X73. 

Now I have 6 Noctua NF-A12x25 (3.exhaust over the rad, 3 intake in the front), and 1 NF-A14 as Exhaust. 

Then I have a "eco system" of fans, and all PWM. 

42 minutes ago, LazyTurtle1990 said:

Thank you, I think it will be P400A with rad in front, or P500A with rad on top. Maybe Corsair 400D Airflow, but then again the rad has to be in the front. 

I bought 3 NF-A12x25 and one NF-A14 yesterday and the temp is lower already, and when I hear the fans, I don't hear the high pitch sound, so that's nice. 

I don't want to buy a new rad now, as my rad is 2,5 weeks old, and it was expensive, 235USD or 19,51EUR. 

If I am going to change the cooler cause of changing the case, I thinking about a "clasic" cooler, as Noctua NH-U12A or Noctua NH-D15, as they are half of the price of NZXT X73. 

Now I have 6 Noctua NF-A12x25 (3.exhaust over the rad, 3 intake in the front), and 1 NF-A14 as Exhaust. 

Then I have a "eco system" of fans, and all PWM. 

Definetly doesn't hurt to have a bunch of NF-A12x25's. I've never had a noctua fan fail on me, so these should last forever. You can most likely still use them in your next few builds. P400A is a good choice, and since the case has a mesh front, putting your rad there with 3 fans won't choke the airflow too much. But you should check if your GPU still has enough clearance with a rad and fans in the front.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Definetly doesn't hurt to have a bunch of NF-A12x25's. I've never had a noctua fan fail on me, so these should last forever. You can most likely still use them in your next few builds. P400A is a good choice, and since the case has a mesh front, putting your rad there with 3 fans won't choke the airflow too much. But you should check if your GPU still has enough clearance with a rad and fans in the front.

Yeah, but for now, it will have enough clearance as I only have a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB, but this will be upgraded to 3000 series card in the summer/ after the summer, and when it is in stock, or maybe a used 1660/ 1660Ti or 2060/2070 card. That's also why I think of P500A, cause it's more space to GPU. 

If I go for P400A and rad in front, how should I have the fans? in push (in front of rad I think) or pull config (behind the rad I think) if you look at it from the front? 
I don't thinking about having push/pull config, since that also will take more space, and cost even more.  

18 minutes ago, LazyTurtle1990 said:

Yeah, but for now, it will have enough clearance as I only have a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB, but this will be upgraded to 3000 series card in the summer/ after the summer, and when it is in stock, or maybe a used 1660/ 1660Ti or 2060/2070 card. That's also why I think of P500A, cause it's more space to GPU. 

If I go for P400A and rad in front, how should I have the fans? in push (in front of rad I think) or pull config (behind the rad I think) if you look at it from the front? 
I don't thinking about having push/pull config, since that also will take more space, and cost even more.  

For these fans push or pull doesn't make a difference. Just mount however it seems easier for you or how you prefer it to look.