Is it true all Asrock AM4 motherboards support ECC memory?

Planning on building a Ryzen system and want to use ECC RAM, as Linus recently talked about. Apparently, every Asrock AM4 motherboards supports ECC. Is this true? 

The motherboards I’m thinking about specifically are either the ASRock X570 Creator or the ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate.

Update: checked the spec sheet for these boards on ASRock’s website. In the case of the X570 chipset, it needs the Pro version of a CPU if it’s in the Picasso lineup, and the X470 needs a Pro version of a CPU if it’s in the Picasso or Raven Ridge lineup.

Edited by Deadtravller
Update

The specs page for those boards is very detailed about that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Are you sure he said "AsRock" and not "AsRock Rack", which is AsRock's server equipment subsidiary?

I think the whole ECC thing was a bit more complicated, since some boards claimed to support it, while it was only a thing of "ECC memory works in our board as normal memory, not with the ECC capabilities".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The specs page for those boards is very detailed about that.

I’ll check them out, thanks.

Just now, Deadtravller said:

I’ll check them out, thanks.

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

Are you sure he said "AsRock" and not "AsRock Rack", which is AsRock's server equipment subsidiary?

I think the whole ECC thing was a bit more complicated, since some boards claimed to support it, while it was only a thing of "ECC memory works in our board as normal memory, not with the ECC capabilities".

I have the information about AsRock from a post on a different forum, unrelated to Linus’s video.

I believe ECC works in all AM4 boards. What I’m looking for, and what Linus was talking about, was boards that actually supported the error-checking.

No, ECC RAM will "work" in the motherboards in general, just not using the ECC functions/ability IIRC. But check with the actual motherboard specs just to be sure.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

from what ive seen you have to have a ryzen pro for ecc on asrock boads i have 4 different asrock mobos 

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

No, ECC RAM will "work" in the motherboards in general, just not using the ECC functions/ability IIRC. But check with the actual motherboard specs just to be sure.

Again, I believe all AM4 motherboards will work properly with ECC in them (i.e they will boot, RAM will run at right speeds, etc), but it won’t actually check for errors. I’m specifically looking for boards that do check errors with ECC memory. These do exist, as Linus said in a recent video, but the only list of ones that do I’ve been able to find is a list of Asus ones on their own forums, and that a) MSI and Gigabyte don’t have any boards that do error-checking, and b) all of ASRock’s ones do.

2 hours ago, keysbeast said:

from what ive seen you have to have a ryzen pro for ecc on asrock boads i have 4 different asrock mobos 

Ryzen Pro? I’ll look into that, ok.

That's only for APUs if I'm not mistaken again the detail is on the spec page.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, keysbeast said:

Update: checked with the two motherboards I listed in my post. The X570 only needs Pro CPUs if you want to use the Picasso lineup (Ryzen 3000 series APUs) and the X470 needs Pro CPUs only in the case you want to use it with the aforementioned Picasso lineup or the Raven Ridge lineup (Ryzen 2000 series APUs). Since Picasso is just Raven Ridge shrunk down by two nanometers, I can see how this would make sense.