Qualcomm Opposes Nvidia's Acquisition of Arm as Deal Comes Under Increasing Scrutiny

Spindel
2 hours ago, pas008 said:

Lol tegra x1 doesn't compete with anything new its like 4 yrs old

Softbank is so neutral with its investments and subsidiaries lol

But here jump to conclusions they want to breach contracts, gatekeep, and get antitrust lawsuits everywhere

I'm sure part of softbanks acquisition and now nvidias I'm sure this is part of it

NVIDIA will continue Arm’s open-licensing model and customer neutrality and expand Arm’s IP licensing portfolio with NVIDIA technology

source. https://group.softbank/en/news/press/20200914

Just like how neutral Nvidia promised to be with Mellanox yet every dependent vendor in the market dropped all usage of Infiniband and moved to Ethernet because they aren't stupid and could not put their company at risk of having a single source of a vital technology and parts supply who is then now under the control of a competing vendor.

It doesn't matter what Softbank owns or doesn't own that has nothing to do with ARM and none of them have any direct relationship, unlike Nvidia owning ARM.

Say what you will, history shows acquisitions like these have always lead to the technology/IP being phased out and no longer used or tightly controlled single vendor. ARM will go neither of these ways quickly but nobody is going to wait around for it to happen, once Nvidia owns ARM literally everyone else will start plans to move away from it, and no Nvidia will not be concerned about that at all. Nvidia is not buying ARM because they want to work with all the current ARM licensees, majority of them Nvidia would have no opinion on and no desire to work with them at all, not on the Nvidia specific side of things.

Yeah no wonder, that's kind of what patents exist for, to needlessly gatekeep technology and hinder technological progress. That doesn't really change regardless of whether it's ARM or nVidia holding them. Short of significantly modifying patent law the only legally relevant concern would be whether this would make nVidia a monopoly since they also produce ARM based silicon whereas ARM (the company) only used to license their ISA.

9 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Qualcomm is so full of it. They can take their bull crap opinion and shove it where the sun don't shine. They have had to pay a ton of fines for anti competitive practices. 

That doesn't necessarily invalidate their claim, though I would like them to be on the receiving end of something like this as well.

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

Why wouldn't a company with a vested interest in the technology buy it to save it from disappearing into bankruptcy?

Possibly because they want to scoop up the patents they care about without purchasing the company itself?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 hours ago, pas008 said:

if you cant see the connection of how racism/prejudice ties into already making them guilty then I cant help you

I don’t need help. You need help.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Honestly, that would give Nvidia too much market power in my opinion 

nvidia doesnt have the best track record when it comes to being open and not trying to stifle other companies so this should be a concern to anyone using arm thats not nvidia.

is sort no one see any benefit for arm to be under nvidia wing. and most people think it need to stay seperate from industry giants AMD Intel or Nvidia

This whole thing makes me realize my grasp on the term “vested interest” is more hazy than I’d like

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.