Windows + VPN = no good (rant)

AidenTheBotLol

I am just wondering if anyone else has this issue and this is more of a rant. Why does Microsoft give a flying frick about whether or not I use a VPN. Every time I connect to PIA in DC through auto connect all of my Microsoft services kick offline I have even found that it goes as far as to unregistering your computer because the block VPNs. Very strange as this seems like why would it matter where I am connected just let access the dang microsoft store so I can update Minecraft. You wanna know the fun part? Windows Updates still works as if this is a localized issue for just their content network like microsoft store, onedrive, and freaking microsoft office of all things won't work with a VPN does the all father Bill Gates care if I am typing my school essay ONLINE or LOCAL god forbid we do anything locally nowadays.

I've been using a VPN on Windows 10 for years, never had any of the issues you describe. I'd guess you have something going on with the networking stack on your machine.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, AidenTheBotLol said:

I am just wondering if anyone else has this issue and this is more of a rant. Why does Microsoft give a flying frick about whether or not I use a VPN. Every time I connect to PIA in DC through auto connect all of my Microsoft services kick offline I have even found that it goes as far as to unregistering your computer because the block VPNs. Very strange as this seems like why would it matter where I am connected just let access the dang microsoft store so I can update Minecraft. You wanna know the fun part? Windows Updates still works as if this is a localized issue for just their content network like microsoft store, onedrive, and freaking microsoft office of all things won't work with a VPN does the all father Bill Gates care if I am typing my school essay ONLINE or LOCAL god forbid we do anything locally nowadays.

Sorry but this is a case of user error - or misunderstanding. If you are signed in to a service (ie, a token is kept locally), and you suddenly change IP address by connecting to a VPN, then that token is not valid for the new IP/location. Windows update works because it doesn't require you to be signed in to anything.

15 minutes ago, AidenTheBotLol said:

Every time I connect to PIA in DC through auto connect all of my Microsoft services kick offline

This sounds very much like an issue with your setup. No one I know -- myself included -- experience anything even remotely similar when using VPNs.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

21 minutes ago, AidenTheBotLol said:

Why does Microsoft give a flying frick about whether or not I use a VPN.

They even have vpn apps on their store.... makes no sense to block them and according to Microsoft they don't and say it's a problem with your setup or VPN provider instead and you shall contact them.  So what did your VPN provider say about the issue? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

They even have vpn apps on their store.... makes no sense to block them and according to Microsoft they don't and say it's a problem with your setup or VPN provider instead and you shall contact them.  So what did your VPN provider say about the issue? 

I am going to contact PIA about it today and I will see what they say 

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/15/2021 at 6:38 AM, AidenTheBotLol said:

Your VPN is blocking all or some Microsoft servers. Simple as that.

If you see your network icon marked as offline when you connect to your VPN, but actually do have internet, it is because your VPN blocks Windows from pinging Microsoft server to check for Internet connectivity.

Interesting, I use pia and have not had this issue.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER