RX 6800 XT - sell it or keep it for mining

xxx68

Hello, I have rx 6800 xt and decided that gaming is not as fun to me as it used to be and I dont want to be so invested in pc gaming. I will do ok just with ps5.  Now I have 2 options:

1.) sell rx 6800 xt with current high pricing

2.) keep it for mining. As I am not in need of money I could keep the card instead and use it to mine some crypto, and once exchange rate is good sell it. I tried nicehash and my gpu is doing approx. 7 dollars a day (with current exchange rate). Electricity is 0,14 usd per kWh and it would get even better in spring/summer as we do have solar panels. So if I count correctly its making 5, 87 USD a day. Also mining is something I always wanted to try. 

What is better option in your opinion ? 

Thanks

You could easily get $1200 for a 6800 XT (regardless of model really) if you sold it today.

If your mining profitability calculation is correct, it will take more than 6 months of mining to make the amount of money you could have in your pocket tomorrow by selling. 

Also (and people who are actually into mining can correct me if I'm wrong), I believe ethereum is still supposed to switch from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake at some point this year (though it's been delayed a couple times already) which would mean mining with GPU's is no longer a thing.

There is no predicting what the market value of your card will be when that happens, especially since some people prefer to avoid GPU's that have been used for mining in the secondhand market.

I would just sell it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

16 minutes ago, xxx68 said:

t would get even better in spring/summer as we do have solar panels

Um.... Don't solar panels get better in the winter, and the chemical reactions used to make the electricity are more efficient in the cold?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Um.... Don't solar panels get better in the winter, and the chemical reactions used to make the electricity are more efficient in the cold?

You know that there are fewer hours of sunlight in the winter, right?

If I'm not wrong an rtx 3080 would be better for mining, so if that's your intent then sell it and buy an rtx 3080. In my country they sell for the same rediculus prices second hand so there should be no problem.

If you would get in to mining tho, its pretty whimpy to just use one gpu if wanna make money. Thats why I would sell it.

Personally, I'd sell it. Mining is obscenely profitable right up until it's not, and with a single 6800 XT, the odds of you making a shit-ton before profitability hits "it's not" aren't great.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Sell it now, mining is not profitable with just one card.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

17 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

chemical reactions

??? What chemical reactions?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 minute ago, Elisis said:

??? What chemical reactions?

the process of creating electricity from sunlight is a chemical reaction...........

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

the process of creating electricity from sunlight is a chemical reaction...........

Where the hell did you get this impression from? It's entirely due to the photoelectric/voltaic effect.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

9 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Where the hell did you get this impression from? It's entirely due to the photoelectric/voltaic effect.

Because photovoltaic?

400C2D70-1183-4D9F-917C-F8BFAB1CA252.jpeg.1c59e51d8e8af4170b3328b2a5fa03c8.jpeg

A1E082CB-700C-4623-BE98-63B41304B533.jpeg.04dfa52a5307dac59602d22859bf0bcb.jpeg
(also @The Blackhat)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Because photovoltaic?

400C2D70-1183-4D9F-917C-F8BFAB1CA252.jpeg.1c59e51d8e8af4170b3328b2a5fa03c8.jpeg

A1E082CB-700C-4623-BE98-63B41304B533.jpeg.04dfa52a5307dac59602d22859bf0bcb.jpeg
(also @The Blackhat)

Why are you randomly tagging me in a random post? Do not interact with me. User ignored.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Because photovoltaic?

Are you just trying to define a term by the roots of the word? Because that doesn't work a lot of the time. Photovoltaic is a term that refers to the creation of an electric potential via a technically chemical process, as it's a result of the behavior of an electron. It's very very far from a chemical reaction.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

its impossible to get a ps5 right now, just keep it and use your pc on a tv with a wireless controller and wireless keyboard with trackpad to go to steam from couch and use steam big picture mode. . maybe it will grow on you. 

1 minute ago, TheInfinityBacon said:

@HelpfulTechWizard @Elisis

Calm your keyboards, there is some overlap between chemical reactions, and physical reactions, and that is okay.

Except there straight-up isn't a chemical reaction present here at all. 😐

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

3 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

its impossible to get a ps5 right now, just keep it and use your pc on a tv with a wireless controller and wireless keyboard with trackpad to go to steam from couch and use steam big picture mode. . maybe it will grow on you. 

I think he already has a PS5. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

43 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I think he already has a PS5. 

oh probably, still I would sell the ps5 make off with a good chink of change and keep the pc, you can play almost everything on pc that you can on ps5, and with a high end card like the 6800xt they will run better, plus computers a more useful and you can do a lot more with a pc than a console. the consoles do have good price too performance for gaming, but all you can really do on them is game and watch netflix its not as useful as a pc. 

38 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

oh probably, still I would sell the ps5 make off with a good chink of change and keep the pc, you can play almost everything on pc that you can on ps5, and with a high end card like the 6800xt they will run better, plus computers a more useful and you can do a lot more with a pc than a console. the consoles do have good price too performance for gaming, but all you can really do on them is game and watch netflix its not as useful as a pc. 

I can think of a whole list of ps5 exclusives that.... are exclusive. Plus, op is just selling the 6800xt, and could still use the pc, presumably with the prior gpu.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

I’d just sell it while you can get a lot for it. I’d love to sell my cards but don’t feel like draining the loops to take pics. 
I mine with my gaming rig when I’m not playing. But it isn’t alone in the “farm”. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Solar panels are generally more efficient when cool but also most efficient under strong sunlight for as many hours a day as possible.
So sunny and cold are ideal howvwer winter days are shorter and that more than negates the benefits of the cooler conditions.

So yep, panels are "better" in cooler conditions but you'll generate more juice in the summer due to the longer days

On 2/14/2021 at 5:38 PM, TheInfinityBacon said:

You know that there are fewer hours of sunlight in the winter, right?

No air conditioning which can be 70% of my electricity in the summer. I produce more than I use Fall, Winter and Spring.  Produced 922KW in January but only used about 300-400KW.  Late May through September I use 100-300KW extra per month.  Its still net negative for the year.  Have a negative 400+ balance they will only give me if I move or cancel service... I'm mining with it right now...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator