Do I need 850w PSU for 3080?

e22big

Hi guy, got some more question about my PSU selection. Thanks to the advice from some of you people here, I have decided to go with Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 as my ideal new PSU, I have an option between 750 and 850w model, the latter cost about 30 buck more, should I go for it? 

I know that 750w is enough for my system for now (running an old i7 4770) but I want something that I can safely power my system regardless of my future configuration. I am planning to upgrade to an 8 cores CPU at least probably within next year and will most likely be populating all my PCIE, M.2 and SATA slots (NVME SSD, sound card, SATA SSD, HDD etc), my gut feeling tell me that 750w should be more than enough but I am a bit tempted to go for 850w.

My current system is already running on 850W CM PSU and I really don't see much  benefit from it but since future system seem to be consuming a bit more power than what we've seen in the past, should I consider it again for this sort of configuration? 

I am using this system for some light word editing and 4k gaming, I am consider it to mine some coin too now that it becomes so profitable. 

1 minute ago, e22big said:

Hi guy, got some more question about my PSU selection. Thanks to the advice from some of you people here, I have decided to go with Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 as my ideal new PSU, I have an option between 750 and 850w model, the latter cost about 30 buck more, should I go for it? 

I know that 750w is enough for my system for now (running an old i7 4770) but I want something that I can safely power my system regardless of my future configuration. I am planning to upgrade to an 8 cores CPU at least probably within next year and will most likely be populating all my PCIE, M.2 and SATA slots (NVME SSD, sound card, SATA SSD, HDD etc), my gut feeling tell me that 750w should be more than enough but I am a bit tempted to go for 850w.

My current system is already running on 850W CM PSU and I really don't see much  benefit from it but since future system seem to be consuming a bit more power than what we've seen in the past, should I consider it again for this sort of configuration? 

I am using this system for some light word editing and 4k gaming, I am consider it to mine some coin too now that it becomes so profitable. 

Yeah I'd go for the 850w, the 3080 can have some pretty extreme power spikes.