Overpaid on a pre-build PC yesterday, wanted to see what ya'll think

Dovaogedy

Ive been looking into multiple companies to try and get a PC and most of them had a wait list, one was as far as 3 months.

Not their fault, part supply sucks right now.

But i decided to take the plunge and ordered this PC from Best Buy yesterday , which went out of stock today

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-a7200-series-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-cpu-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-graphics-16gb-rgb-pro-ddr4-memory/6451508.p?skuId=6451508

I think i got a good PC with good parts, but the price was terrible.

Now im waiting for Best Buy to actually ship it before i get my hopes up. This PC had a majority of what i wanted including the case(i wanted that case), only difference is i would have like a white build instead of black but the black looks sleek as well

Just wanted to see what ya'll thought about the PC overall, besides the obvious overpay

Honestly I am somewhat amazed that you were able to get that at all at the moment with general parts shortages and mining.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

the specs are decent, probably will need more storage soon if you plan on having larger games though. as you have already acknowledged, that is a MASSIVE overpay imo

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

the specs are decent, probably will need more storage soon if you plan on having larger games though. as you have already acknowledged, that is a MASSIVE overpay imo

my current rig has a 1 TB HDD and a 500 GB M2. SSD i could use, but ill prob invest in some new storage for it

Honestly, I feel you could do a whole lot worse for 2.5k. You even got a 2 year warranty for the thing so if anything goes wrong, you can always pin in on Corsair to fix rather than yourself. And for some, not having to go through the headache when problems arise is worth the extra dollar dollar bills. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Honestly, I feel you could do a whole lot worse for 2.5k. You even got a 2 year warranty for the thing so if anything goes wrong, you can always pin in on Corsair to fix rather than yourself. And for some, not having to go through the headache when problems arise is worth the extra dollar dollar bills. 

Wait hold up- Overpaying by 1k and you can do way worse? I'd *really* like to see something that's far worse lol

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

25 minutes ago, Dovaogedy said:

Ive been looking into multiple companies to try and get a PC and most of them had a wait list, one was as far as 3 months.

Not their fault, part supply sucks right now.

But i decided to take the plunge and ordered this PC from Best Buy yesterday , which went out of stock today

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-a7200-series-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-cpu-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-graphics-16gb-rgb-pro-ddr4-memory/6451508.p?skuId=6451508

I think i got a good PC with good parts, but the price was terrible.

Now im waiting for Best Buy to actually ship it before i get my hopes up. This PC had a majority of what i wanted including the case(i wanted that case), only difference is i would have like a white build instead of black but the black looks sleek as well

Just wanted to see what ya'll thought about the PC overall, besides the obvious overpay

Pc looks fine, only thing is that you overpaid roughly $1000 for it. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

My last two PC's i built so i feel like i could trouble shoot to an extent but yeah i agree

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Wait hold up- Overpaying by 1k and you can do way worse? I'd *really* like to see something that's far worse lol

Wait is this US? In Canadian rupees that seems about right for that class of machine. Might even be a steal, I'm not intimately in touch with current pricing. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I did a build on PC Partpicker, if u include the $100 windows license(which they dont pay im guessing or its dirt cheap) and the free shipping(I shipped out a 24 inch monitor recently, cost me $60 for UPS ground) its not that much.

my pc partpicker list was ranging from 2k to 2200

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Wait is this US? In Canadian rupees that seems about right for that class of machine. Might even be a steal, I'm not intimately in touch with current pricing. 

Its US

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I beileve it is but I'm not certain. 

6 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I wouldnt say 1k, the market is crap right now, and even then the CPU and GPU cost close to 1k or so given the tariffs. I built this PC out, used the adjusted MSRP on Newegg and it was around $2200

7 minutes ago, Dovaogedy said:

I did a build on PC Partpicker, if u include the $100 windows license(which they dont pay im guessing or its dirt cheap) and the free shipping(I shipped out a 24 inch monitor recently, cost me $60 for UPS ground) its not that much.

my pc partpicker list was ranging from 2k to 2200

You're probably dealing with something like this, give or take a few dollars. As for the windows license, It likely costs corsair next to nothing, and you usually shouldn't be paying $100 to remove a watermark. Even if you want to think that corsair was a little more generous with their component selection, it still probably isn't cracking $1750 WITH windows. 

3 minutes ago, Dovaogedy said:

I wouldnt say 1k, the market is crap right now, and even then the CPU and GPU cost close to 1k or so given the tariffs. I built this PC out, used the adjusted MSRP on Newegg and it was around $2200

I operate on MSRP. If you want to account for feeding scalpers, fine by me. As for the tariffs, It's kind of iffy. Some components still aren't affected, and the Biden administration might turn that around. Either way, I don't reccomend purchasing a PC right now.

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

9 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

A 3070 will sell for around $900 secondhand and the 5800X is pretty consistently in stock at the Micro Centers near me, so that's about $1,400-1,500 right off the bat. Let's assume you're getting a good PSU and what appears to be an ok-tier motherboard, and I'd say you're looking at another $500 worth of PC there. So realistically, in today's pricing, it wouldn't shock me in the least if it cost $2,000-2,100 to buy everything needed to build it yourself. In that case, $2,500 built actually isn't a terrible deal when you accept that the current marketplace is not MSRP, has not been MSRP, and will not be MSRP again for the foreseeable future.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

A 3070 will sell for around $900 secondhand and the 5800X is pretty consistently in stock at the Micro Centers near me, so that's about $1,400-1,500 right off the bat. Let's assume you're getting a good PSU and what appears to be an ok-tier motherboard, and I'd say you're looking at another $500 worth of PC there. So realistically, in today's pricing, it wouldn't shock me in the least if it cost $2,000-2,100 to buy everything needed to build it yourself. In that case, $2,500 built actually isn't a terrible deal when you accept that the current marketplace is not MSRP, has not been MSRP, and will not be MSRP again for the foreseeable future.

B550-A pro, unspecified PSU so I think you know what that means. Also, read above. 
Also: CyberPowerPC Gamer Supreme Gaming Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 1TB SSD White SLC8600BST - Best Buy
Even at $1500 it isn't bad, it was $1349 before and was in and out of stock. Download yourself a free bot to try to automatically buy it when it drops, or just have it notify you when it comes back in stock. 

I wonder how accurate the images are on the website vs what you'll get in actual product. Will the cable management be as good? Let us know when you get it. Also, this isn't what most of us would think of as a 'prebuilt' system - this is a build not unlike any component build a DIYer would do, just been assembled for you. If you'd gotten a DellAlienware, or HPOmen commodity type system, and paid that much, you would've been much more seriously ripped off. With that system, at least you can truly upgrade it over time, with standard components.

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

B550-A pro, unspecified PSU so I think you know what that means. Also, read above. 

I did, and it's stupid to tell someone that they overpaid when you know as well as I do that you could walk up and give the president of Newegg a bleep and you're still not getting MSRP on that 3070.

B550-A Pro falls into the ok tier, and I'd assume the PSU probably does as well.

9 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Also: CyberPowerPC Gamer Supreme Gaming Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 1TB SSD White SLC8600BST - Best Buy
Even at $1500 it isn't bad, it was $1349 before and was in and out of stock. 

the PSU is a Corsair RM 750 watt 80+ gold PSU

and according to their site, the SSD is a Corsair MP 600 PCIe 4.0, which retails around $185

Is that SSD worth the cost? not really but that definitely increased the cost by $80

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I did, and it's stupid to tell someone that they overpaid when you know as well as I do that you could walk up and give the president of Newegg a bleep and you're still not getting MSRP on that 3070.

B550-A Pro falls into the ok tier, and I'd assume the PSU probably does as well.

and your argument falls into the category of "I feel like buying a a GPU at 2x MSRP." Really bro. As for the b550-a-pro, you might want to look up the benchmarks, hell, even the LTT tier list again. For most amd cpus I wouldn't really see a reason to upgrade. For the PSU, checked the website, and like OP said PSU is an rm750. 

8 minutes ago, Dovaogedy said:

the PSU is a Corair RM 750 watt 80+ gold PSU

and according to their site, the SSD is a Corsair MP 600 PCIe 4.0, which retails around $185

Is that SSD worth the cost? not really but that definitely increased the cost by $80

SSD is good, just kinda a waste of money. PCIE-gen 4 ssds in most use cases perform practically the same to their cheaper, PCIE-gen 3 counterparts.

The parts obviously dont meet the price, i get it and yeah i did overpay. But i paid(hopefully) for not having to wait a month+ to get my PC and just wanted to see what people thought on the build overall.

I got pretty close in the "build it myself" build on PC Part Picker, its between 2k-2200 so when u add in the build fee and the cost of shipping(i imagine the shipping cost is $100+) i think i did okay.

I could have gotten something that performed spec wise cheaper but i wanted a quality build.

I built my last 2 PC's, would have loved to been able to do that again but given the market thats not happening at all.

I just wanted to see what ya'll thought about the build despite the price

18 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

and your argument falls into the category of "I feel like buying a a GPU at 2x MSRP." Really bro. As for the b550-a-pro, you might want to look up the benchmarks, hell, even the LTT tier list again. For most amd cpus I wouldn't really see a reason to upgrade. For the PSU, checked the website, and like OP said PSU is an rm750. 

So, an ok-tier PSU, like I keep saying. You might want to check out what Actually Hardware Overclocking has had to say about the B550-A on a few different occasions. The LTT tier list is very, very good, but it's far from the be all end all, and I'd trust Buildzoid 10 times out of 10. Ok tier with surprising performance and VRM for what it is.

As to the other part, it's clear that we're not going to agree. If someone wants to buy a prebuilt right now, more power to them. I wouldn't, because you're going to pay through the nose, but that's how supply and demand work. When there's a lot of pent-up demand and virtually no supply, you get to pay more. Don't be a dick about it with your, "Don't pay the scalpers" bull.

*insert my usual "there's no such thing as scalping graphics cards" rant here*

3 minutes ago, Dovaogedy said:

The parts obviously dont meet the price, i get it and yeah i did overpay. But i paid(hopefully) for not having to wait a month+ to get my PC and just wanted to see what people thought on the build overall.

I got pretty close in the "build it myself" build on PC Part Picker, its between 2k-2200 so when u add in the build fee and the cost of shipping(i imagine the shipping cost is $100+) i think i did okay.

I could have gotten something that performed spec wise cheaper but i wanted a quality build.

I built my last 2 PC's, would have loved to been able to do that again but given the market thats not happening at all.

I just wanted to see what ya'll thought about the build despite the price

It's a killer PC, no doubt about that. And dude, if you're happy with what you ended up with and ok with the price you paid, f*ck everyone else.