What Steam games could I play with my sister?

pipnina

Since she moved out I haven't seen her much in person due to, well, you know...

She has a laptop with mouse (2018 DELL, with an i5 and a Radeon 530 GPU) but decent internet so anything that works with Steam's play together should be fine if I host it.

She isn't so much a fan of the more serious or warlike games (so a lot of RTS games or first person shooters might be off the table), but based on what she's played before:

Pharaoh

Kingdom Hearts (so ARPGs)

Animal Crossing (passive / relaxing games?)

Pokémon (so turn based RPG)

Splatoon (so maybe very casual shooters?)

Portal (Puzzlers?)

Do you know based on these examples, what we might enjoy playing together on steam? Browsing steam itself to find co-op games is a bit fruitless to me because all searches are littered with DLC spam and Steam's search seems a little clumsy to me. All the big lists online of "top 20 co-op games" tend to list the same stuff, and it seems usually to be beyond her laptop's spec.

Which games do you like to co-op on?

Cheers.

1 minute ago, pipnina said:

She has a laptop with mouse (2018 DELL, with an i5 and a Radeon 530 GPU) but decent internet so anything that works with Steam's play together should be fine if I host it.

She isn't so much a fan of the more serious or warlike games (so a lot of RTS games or first person shooters might be off the table), but based on what she's played before:

Pharaoh

Portal (Puzzlers?)

Do you know based on these examples, what we might enjoy playing together on steam? Browsing steam itself to find co-op games is a bit fruitless to me because all searches are littered with DLC spam and Steam's search seems a little clumsy to me. All the big lists online of "top 20 co-op games" tend to list the same stuff, and it seems usually to be beyond her laptop's spec.

Cheers.

You could always play some games that only have local multiplayer using parsec.

Stardew Valley comes to mind. They recently added split-screen coop to the game, and along with it they added the Steam remote play together feature. But if you ran into issues using that, her computer could most definitely run the game natively as well.

I don't know of many other popular games that support remote play together at the moment, but you could look through the Steam remote play together library and see if anything catches your eye: https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay_together

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

Pharaoh

Portal (Puzzlers?)

Cheers.

I'm a huge fan of Trine, which is a puzzle platformer for up to 3 people...and there are 3 Trine games (or it might be 4) so there's tons of content. 

A Way Out is also a very intriguing two player game which can only played in co-op. 

I urge you to check it out and watch a video on You Tube as it will do it justice in a way I can't. 

It's the quintessential two player co-op experience. 

ULTIMATE CHICKEN HORSE!

Plus I support Maury on Trine, was planning to suggest it as well ;).

Drawful 2 is also fun but would require at least one more person.

Castle Crashers is a pretty fun couch co-op.

Human Fall Flat is worth a try. I had a blast in it with friends but she might dislike the controls as they are pretty unique.

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is a typical co-op people suggest. Personally haven't fired it up, yet, but am planning to do so in whatever future.

You could also try good old Borderlands 2.

To end the list I have something I haven't played, haven't even bought but seen the game and heard VERY good opinions on it. Simple, low point of entry, fun, nice aesthetics:  Deep Rock Galactic.

2 hours ago, Soag said:

ULTIMATE CHICKEN HORSE!

Plus I support Maury on Trine, was planning to suggest it as well ;).

Drawful 2 is also fun but would require at least one more person.

Castle Crashers is a pretty fun couch co-op.

Human Fall Flat is worth a try. I had a blast in it with friends but she might dislike the controls as they are pretty unique.

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is a typical co-op people suggest. Personally haven't fired it up, yet, but am planning to do so in whatever future.

You could also try good old Borderlands 2.

To end the list I have something I haven't played, haven't even bought but seen the game and heard VERY good opinions on it. Simple, low point of entry, fun, nice aesthetics:  Deep Rock Galactic.

Love me some Trine.

Trine is a good option, i enjoyed playing some left for dead 2 with my brother and also keep talking and nobody explodes. Good fun in different styles of games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 10:44 PM, pipnina said:

Pharaoh

Portal (Puzzlers?)

Cheers.

BattleBlock Theater, Brink, Castle Crashers, Rocket League, Sims maybe, Spelunky local device, Xcom, Civilization 5, new tropico maybe

• 1 month later...

Im a bit late, but my favorite types of games to play casually with people are games where we work to build or explore together. I would recommend "Terraria" and "Don't Starve Together".  If you are looking for something more story driven that you can play together, I would suggest "Divinity Original Sin 2." 

Overcooked, Fall Guys, Rocket League, the original Dungeon Defenders, MineCraft, Garry's Mod (TTT is still tons of fun), TableTop simulator, any of the 2D worms games. 

• 1 month later...

Hey if you love the "Kingdom Hearts" esc feeling of RPG that you can do co op, id suggest Genshin Impact. yes it runs on iphones and android phones, but it also runs on the new playstation, PC's and OSX. because it was a mobile game first intel integrated graphics can run it. Its free to play, the other game id suggest is Warframe, its on steam and is free to play and as long as she didnt try to set it above 1080p she could get decent performance using the original graphics engine and not the new beta one.

Not sure steam play together supports this, but unravel 2 is a pretty good game. the soundtrack is easily one of the best I've listened to in years

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

A couple of tower defense/resource management games have multiplayer (BTD6, Mindustry, Factorio), so if your sister is into that kind of stuff, you could try it out (btw you can download Mindustry for free, but you don't get achievements, workshop maps/schematics and multiplayer is harder to set up)

Nioh 2. That's a nice easy game for coop.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.