(Working) Tesla K40m in a 32Bit BAR Motherboard.

Poet129
Go to solution Solved by Poet129,

@ShrimpBrime

Well, I've now figured out why the nvidia driver won't start on the modded v-bios... apparently they are signed however the signatures are stored in the v-bios itself not checked against a known good list. So running the modded K40c v-bios through KeplerBiosTweaker, and changing nothing just using it to resign it makes it all work... one year later wow so simple. So all that needs done is to get a variant of the card's v-bios that will work in your motherboard then mod it to allow it to be flashed to your card via nvflash (I only had to change one byte), then resign it with KeplerBiosTweaker and finally flash it using nvflash on Linux or a normally functional board. No need to reflash every reboot now. 🙂

I have a Tesla K40m and it has the error code 12 in the picture below. I believe the issue is it needs a BAR size of 16GB but to my knowledge only 4GB is supported by default on the EVGA SR-2. If there is a way to get this card to work in this motherboard please tell me.

Tesla K40 Error Code 12.jpg

3 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Try enabling Above 4G Decoding in BIOS?

I couldn't find it.

1 hour ago, Poet129 said:

What about a GPU bios flash to a Tesla K40c as that is supported by my motherboard?

You could have bought any other Kepler Gpu and just used it.

Bios mod? Not that Im aware of. I have a K20, same boat you're in. Only fits a certain platform on the server side. The card actually requires hardware resources, none of which a bios modification would allow use of the card in a desktop or workstation motherboard. 

Modifying the Nvidia driver to think that the K40m is the K40c yields the same error, but seems to also knock out my other driver for the 1050Ti.

Does the bios have a setting "Assign IRQ to VGA? Something I remember but none of my boards have that setting.

Although I should check my X58A UD3R and slap my K20 in. I haven't tried this board yet. But doubtful I'll have any better luck than you.

This one is beyond me. I chalked it up as needing a server board from the specific platform the Tesla was designed for. 😞

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Does the bios have a setting "Assign IRQ to VGA? Something I remember but none of my boards have that setting.

Although I should check my X58A UD3R and slap my K20 in. I haven't tried this board yet. But doubtful I'll have any better luck than you.

This one is beyond me. I chalked it up as needing a server board from the specific platform the Tesla was designed for. 😞

@ShrimpBrime

The board should have it as it is in the manual, I'm yet to check though brb.

25 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

@ShrimpBrime

Manual Page 60

I couldn't find it in the bios, however I have a much newer bios A58 vs A24 in that manual perhaps a downgrade could help.

Is there an option for boot rom? Maybe try disable it if the card has available. Can try disable all boot rom (ethernet and LSI ect) also. 

6 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Is there an option for boot rom? Maybe try disable it if the card has available. Can try disable all boot rom (ethernet and LSI ect) also. 

The only boot rom option is the network boot rom and it is already disabled.

14 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

The only boot rom option is the network boot rom and it is already disabled.

Here's what I found in a thread.  (Quote at the bottom.)

Found something similar when trying all this with K20. So I literally gave up. Probably buy a proper board sometime down the road.....

After some research, I found what my Tesla belonged in.

I included this information in the FS thread I created when I decided to dump the card...

However, I still have it and it's boxed up. Haven't been able to put it to use.

Example:

The Tesla K20 came from the Tyan FT48-B7055 platform. Which had a variety of boards to choose from.
- CPU Centric: GT24-B8236- IL & GT26A-B8812
- GPU Centric: S7055, S7065, GN70-B7056, TA77-B7061, FT48-B7055 & FT77A-B7059
- Technical Computing: S7050, S7053, S7056, S7066

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Tesla-K40-in-HP-Z600-Code-12-error/td-p/6949226

It's a system incompatibility. Tesla cards (with a few historical exceptions, e.g. C2075, K20c, K40c) are designed to be purchased and installed (only) in an OEM server system certified for their use. HP does not certify any of their workstations for any current Tesla cards, nor were any ever certified for K40m usage. If you buy a Tesla card believing you can install it in any system you want, you are asking for trouble. It is simply not possible, in the general case, and there is no design intent to make it possible. There is no documentation to support this configuration. There is no OEM system load or card lock. The resources in question are resources that would be assigned to PCI BAR regions by the system BIOS during the PCI plug-and-play enumeration process. The K40m requires a large complement of resources. A system that cannot or will not assign these resources will cause the cards to be non-functional. There is nothing you can do to fix this (barring modification of user-accessible BIOS settings that modify the BIOS resource assignment behavior). A server designed to support this card of course has taken these requirements into account in the design of the server, which includes the design of the system BIOS. It's not a "lock" of any sort. In most cases, a PCIE Tesla GPU can be easily enough removed from a supported HP server configuration and placed in a supported Dell server configuration (just to pick a random pair/example), with full expectation that it should work normally. But your workstation is not a supported configuration for that GPU. There are many statements like this on these forums. Tesla K40 is an obsolete product. For non-obsolete products, you can find supported server configurations here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/tesla/tesla-qualified-servers-catalog/ There is no suggestion anywhere that Tesla cards can be placed in any system you want with an expectation of proper behavior.

Really is the bottom line, need the appropriate motherboard....

21 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Here's what I found in a thread.  (Quote at the bottom.)

Found something similar when trying all this with K20. So I literally gave up. Probably buy a proper board sometime down the road.....

After some research, I found what my Tesla belonged in.

I included this information in the FS thread I created when I decided to dump the card...

However, I still have it and it's boxed up. Haven't been able to put it to use.

Example:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Tesla-K40-in-HP-Z600-Code-12-error/td-p/6949226

Really is the bottom line, need the appropriate motherboard....

I realize this is a very unsupported situation, but I don't just have the money to throw away to make this work. So how hard would it be for me to modify the evga sr-2 bios to support above 4g decoding? If it is at all possible where would I get what I need to implement that?

15 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

I realize this is a very unsupported situation, but I don't just have the money to throw away to make this work. So how hard would it be for me to modify the evga sr-2 bios to support above 4g decoding? If it is at all possible where would I get what I need to implement that?

Not sure. 

https://forums.evga.com/X299-FTW-K-CFG-Lock-Above-4G-Decoding-m3021353.aspx

I'm still looking, but finding nothing useful..... 😞 

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Not sure. 

https://forums.evga.com/X299-FTW-K-CFG-Lock-Above-4G-Decoding-m3021353.aspx

I'm still looking, but finding nothing useful..... 😞 

Hey thanks, I didn't know that was a thing. I messaged them, waiting for a response to see if they would be willing to hook me up with a new BIOS, unlikely however.

54 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Hey thanks, I didn't know that was a thing. I messaged them, waiting for a response to see if they would be willing to hook me up with a new BIOS, unlikely however.

Totally worth a shot. Nothing to loose. 

47 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

@ShrimpBrime

Here is how it went.

After reading pdf, so you understand:

I've "pulled" the bin of my bios using afuwin and would like to know what I would need to modify it.

EVGA Conversation.pdf 208.26 kB · 2 downloads

I'm not entirely sure which version.... But you want to use AMIBCP (the latest is version 5) which I can give you the latest version here.

If this does not work on the bios, you can try AMIBCP4 or 3. 

AMIBCP5.exe

I'll be out of the house for most of the afternoon into the evening, so my response time may be slow. 

51 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm not entirely sure which version.... But you want to use AMIBCP (the latest is version 5) which I can give you the latest version here.

If this does not work on the bios, you can try AMIBCP4 or 3. 

AMIBCP5.exe 11.36 MB · 2 downloads

I'll be out of the house for most of the afternoon into the evening, so my response time may be slow. 

Thanks for your help, but nothing yet ended up with these though still looking.

AMIBCP_V3.37.exe BIOS.rom

@ShrimpBrime

This is unlikely, but is there a open source BIOS for the EVGA SR-2, probably not the official one, but one that works and is completely open source? I couldn't find a way to fix the issue with that editor so I thought this might work if there is one.

OR:

A already built program that gets as much of the source code of the BIOS based on the BIOS chip on your board or off of a ROM is fine too.

@Poet129 I just walked in the door finally 8pm here. I'll have a look.....

@Poet129 

Correct, changing 3 higher will do nothing. The bios (AMI in general) is capable. However, to map anything higher than 3G would be a complete build of the bios from the ground up. There just isn't a way to map the resources to this bios otherwise that I know of. Unfortunately, this is beyond my capabilities, or I'd be working for Asus or something. Since resizable bar is not present, we cannot give User control of it to change the setting in the bios, it's obviously not there, and it's not "hidden" in the bios.

I hate saying it, but we'll not get this card working in the SR-2.

Now if this was an SR-3, word has it that resizable bar will be featured in an upcoming bios.... But obviously, this helps us none. 

The only alternative I know of is modifying the bios on the K40 and reduce the aperture size. I do know that the card needs a 16Gb block, so reducing this will probably be a serious performance hit. 

Sell the card. (if you can.)