Excellent Analysis of why some companies no longer include chargers with the phones they sell you by Mr Whose The Boss

the99er

I came across this video on youtube and thought it was an excellent analysis of the real reason why some companies have stopped including a charger when you buy a cell phone:

I like everyone else, thought it would be about them just saving money.  But it's more then that.

I think this is something that Linus should watch and comment on for the next wanshow.

11 minutes ago, the99er said:

I came across this video on youtube and thought it was an excellent analysis of the real reason why some companies have stopped including a charger when you buy a cell phone:

I like everyone else, thought it would be about them just saving money.  But it's more then that.

I think this is something that Linus should watch and comment on for the next wanshow.

So it's basically like how early Priuses were allegedly more damaging to the environment that a regular fully gas powered vehicle because of the Nickel mining and the amount of transport of that material make the batteries. It's simply the illusion of a smaller carbon footprint but in the end, it's much greater. Not entirely surprised. Passing the carbon footprint to other parts of the chain. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Realize though that Apple is very brave company and it takes courage to do what's right. They did it with the headphone jack and the home button, and if rumors are to be believed the charging port as well. Taking away features of your devices and charging a pretty much the same amount is so courageous you don't even realize. Apple is paving the way with their bravery and it won't be long before everyone else follows suit. Such courage.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

On 2/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, v0id said:

Realize though that Apple is very brave company and it takes courage to do what's right. They did it with the headphone jack and the home button, and if rumors are to be believed the charging port as well. Taking away features of your devices and charging a pretty much the same amount is so courageous you don't even realize. Apple is paving the way with their bravery and it won't be long before everyone else follows suit. Such courage.

I'm not sure if this is irony or not, but I definitely wouldn't call it "courage." They just know that their position in the market allows them to take any decisions, no matter how bad it is without affecting their user basis.

These moves will make more sense in the long run, when more people have fast or wireless chargers sitting around the home, but he's right that they're kicking the environmental can down the road, at least in the near term. Wonder if they should take Xiaomi's current approach and bundle a charger for free on request, just not as a matter of course.

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm not sure if this is irony or not, but I definitely wouldn't call it "courage." They just know that their position in the market allows them to take any decisions, no matter how bad it is without affecting their user basis.

It was entirely satirical, I was just quoting what they told their audience at their keynote when they first removed the headphone jack. Such a dick move but your point is well taken either way.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

2 minutes ago, v0id said:

It was entirely satirical, I was just quoting what they told their audience at their keynote when they first removed the headphone jack. Such a dick move but your point is well taken either way.

As I wrote this I was considering buying the iPad Air or the Galaxy Tab S7, just to realize that none of them has a headphone jack. Not sure what's the excuse that time besides "just buy our headphones." Actually Samsung showcases their earbuds on the same page so they're not even hiding.

I've gone thru about 4 phones the past 10 years.  What did I do with those chargers?

1.  By my bed side

2.  Desk at work

3.  Work bench in my garage

4.  Kitchen counter

They didn't wind up in some landfill.  They still serve a purpose.

Apple and it's copycat rival Samsung are just finding ways to bleed customers.  Why toss chargers in with new phones at the cost of $2 when they can sell them separately for $30.

They use the "environment card" as a weapon or shield to prevent criticism.  Everyone knows when you criticize a noble cause, you're a hateful blah-blah-blah... whatever label applies.