Cougar GX-S650 vs SF Legion HX, Leadex iii Bronze Pro?

borders

@jonnyGURU

How do these compare with each other? Wanting to replace a buzzing PSU (CM MWE v2) even when its off. The buzzing comes and goes, while idling or running a gaming benchmark.

Jonny, your website was down so I couldn't read your post on the Cougar model.

Review here

Just taking a look at the units overall, last time I checked, we know nothing of the newer Super Flower units, let alone have third-party testing for them. Yes, they are pretty transparent on their product pages, but that doesn't mean a lot given their track history. 

GX-S isn't that great of a unit (ripple spiking over 50 mV on the 12v rail, transient response is mediocre), but it's fine for the right price.

....decided that OTP isn't necessary even though a PS223 supervisor IC that supports OTP is used. We strongly disagree with their choice. Finally, there is no inrush current protection, which leads to high inrush current when the bulk cap is drained.

9 hours ago, borders said:

Wanting to replace a buzzing PSU (CM MWE v2) even when its off.

Was the buzzing really so loud that it bothered you?  

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Was the buzzing really so loud that it bothered you?  

Yes its a lower pitched buzz and to me seems worse than the higher pitched coil whine that I've encountered before. Previous psus never had that kind of buzzing before, I was expecting less noise given the newer design actually.

15 hours ago, ForwardVoltage said:

Review here

Just taking a look at the units overall, last time I checked, we know nothing of the newer Super Flower units, let alone have third-party testing for them. Yes, there are pretty transparent on their product pages, but that doesn't mean a lot given their track history. 

GX-S isn't that great of a unit (ripple spiking over 50 mV on the 12v rail, transient response is mediocre), but it's fine for the right price. Are these your only options?

Yeah I've seen that review, should've been clearer about looking for some opinions on the SF units. What are you implying by their track history?

I've could get other brands but those are the ones which are priced like the CM MWE.

18 hours ago, borders said:

Yeah I've seen that review, should've been clearer about looking for some opinions on the SF units. What are you implying by their track history?

I've could get other brands but those are the ones which are priced like the CM MWE.

You had the fisaco that was the EVGA G3, multiple revisions of the Leadex 3 Gold, some pretty shite marketing in Germany (not going to go into it), and there have been omissions of stating "features" on datasheets/product pages (even good things like OTP) in earlier Super Flower designs. 

MWE Gold is pretty lackluster, and I would personally place it below the more popular opinion, Corsair CX. 

I don't generally like to make predictions about specific platforms just from a sideview of the filtering stage. With regards to the Legion, I don't have a positive placement of a MOV, but my eyes may be seeing it as a ceramic capacitor (and Yes, I know there's "official" internal pictures of the unit on the SF website, but see above on my thoughts plus no testing yet). I don't have any information readily available to me, so unless someone with more knowledge hops in, I'm not fond of them. 

41 minutes ago, ForwardVoltage said:

You had the fisaco that was the EVGA G3, multiple revisions of the Leadex 3 Gold, some pretty shite marketing in Germany (not going to go into it), and there have been omissions of stating "features" on datasheets/product pages (even good things like OTP) in earlier Super Flower designs. 

What fiasco? It was generally reviewed, its at the top of the psu tier list with no remarks.

10 hours ago, borders said:

What fiasco? It was generally reviewed, its at the top of the psu tier list with no remarks.

850 version not only has a very very loud fan profile, but the fan still can't keep it cool enough to stay in one piece...If OTP triggers, you should get a new unit.

OTP is set very high in our opinion, since we had to apply a huge thermal load on the secondary side to trigger it. The bulk cap's external casing nearly melted during our OTP evaluation.

1000w version (same platform) liked to further disappoint now by playing protection roulette with the same jet engine fan profile.

We didn't get any OCP results because our unit died during the OPP test, meaning either that this particular sample had a problem or OPP is set very high. Note that we conduct these tests at normal ambient temperatures, below 30°C.

650w version (same platform) in very Super Flower fashion (since this also happened with first revision of Leadex 3 Gold) didn't like 12v OCP/OPP to operate nominally, dropping to 11V.

The PSU shuts down with 77.82A on its +12V rail. We suspect that this is not because of over-current protection on this rail, but due to under-voltage protection.

550w version (same platform) has basically everything set above normal 200%+ tripping points of OCP on minor rails (Aris, an EE who does the reviews for Tom's & TPU and also is the testing engineer for Cybenetics said the unit degrades beyond normally set current thresholds for the minor rails), OPP is set too high (unit degrades), and we're still using low quality capacitors (KZE). 

So in summary, you're buying one of the louder units with an aggressive fan profile at all loads with basically missing half the protections that should be required and all aren't set correctly. No trust.

• 2 months later...

@jonnyGURU

I found out that the loud buzzing only happens when I leave the PC plugged in at the wall (psu switch is on) all the time. The PC is turned on during the day and switched off at night. At first I thought the loud buzzing was a bad/failing contacts on the old wall socket which I replaced.

But I found out when I unplug or switch off at the wall socket at night, the loud buzzing does not happen or sometimes but not often some faint buzzing (which can be tolerated) is heard.

It's normal.  Even when your PSU gets power, but the PC is turned off, the +5VSB is still energized.

Because of the most recent Energy Star requirements, making the PSU operate as efficiently as possible at "standby" creates some audible noise.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:43 AM, jonnyGURU said:

It's normal.  Even when your PSU gets power, but the PC is turned off, the +5VSB is still energized.

Because of the most recent Energy Star requirements, making the PSU operate as efficiently as possible at "standby" creates some audible noise.

No the buzzing issue is abnormally LOUD as per my OP and I don't have an unusually low tolerance for the usual buzzing noises.The noise was loud enough that I thought at first it was a failing wall socket instead of the PSU. Yes it is that LOUD.

Furthermore +5Vsb is also broken on my unit, half the time or more, the +5Vsb doesn't work when the PC is switched off with the psu plugged into the wall socket switched on.