Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tesla responses to MCU recall: 5-6 years product lifetime not out of the ordinary

On 2/13/2021 at 7:49 AM, leadeater said:

I think it was Germany that just had a court ruling that changing the wiper speed using the touch screen is Distracted Driving so illegal/an infringement. It was Germany or some other EU country but I foresee this legal precedent spreading across the EU so Tesla simply has to change it in my opinion.

I agree. You also have the likes of the PSA group adding many of the controls to their touch screens and without some sort of legislation others will follow as it saves them a lot of money. 

Seems to me that the whole car industry is now building kit that will go out of date very quickly. The infotainment systems have become such an important thing that it is hard for manufacturers to keep up unless they go for an easily upgradable alternative. At least one brand has shown a control system based around an iPad for instance. It is going to be a weird time for a few years.

On 2/12/2021 at 10:56 PM, lafrente said:

My old laptop is in it's 12th year, clocked so far around 50.000 hours. That's a car electronic. Cars aren't actively used for 50.000 hours in 10 years. Maybe 5.000 hours barely.

I want to like tesla but they keep defending stupid shit to make people dislike them. All that crap about environment and you produce stuff that lasts considerably less than other car manufacturers do.

Yes, but is your laptop also undergoing large vibrations while going 60+ mph?

Not excusing the lack of lifetime, but putting it in perspective.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

9 hours ago, Spindel said:

As I remember the 2-speed was to keep the electric motors at highest efficiency even at criuse speeds. Electric motors also have a optimal RPM if you go for energy efficiency, if you go outside of that you start to lose (relatively) a lot of efficiency and in extension range.

going for that a CVT would have been the optimal solution.  If a tesla motor can rip apart a hydromatic though a CVT has no chance.   There are often multiple reasons to do something.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think this is an issue that needs to be fixed, especially if they want to roll out full self driving one day. I would presume that it would be bad if you were to be using full self driving and then the computer just failed.

1 hour ago, jrhaberland said:

I think this is an issue that needs to be fixed, especially if they want to roll out full self driving one day. I would presume that it would be bad if you were to be using full self driving and then the computer just failed.

It apparently has been in newer models by using a larger newer piece of storage media.  The issue seems to be with early models

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

That's the problem with "thinking outside the box" like Tesla. They break new ground of innovating ways of doing things. But, they also do so at the cost of ignoring lesions learned by others in the industry. I see Tesla trading one set of problems for new ones.

And this is why being conservative in tech like Toyota pays off.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

That's the problem with "thinking outside the box" like Tesla. They break new ground of innovating ways of doing things. But, they also do so at the cost of ignoring lesions learned by others in the industry. I see Tesla trading one set of problems for new ones.

Or Apple sometimes.  The Toyota methodology has its points.  It produces rugged reliable equipment.  There are potential drawbacks as well.  Someone else always has a more advanced design.  Sometimes this is good though.

7 hours ago, StDragon said:

This can be said of a lot of the Japanese brands, they all have quite different manufacturing and design styles to EU and NA brands. Like Toyota, almost no car has unique parts and everything is made from a collection of well tested and proven parts and are kept in use for almost multiple decades. Other brands may try to do similar but they often end up making adjustments and small changes, Toyota doesn't do that.

Then you have the Toyota Jidoka philosophy which is almost the literal opposite of what Tesla does currently, Tesla will almost never stop the production lines and will only fix faults/defects at the end. That being said the same never stop attitude is done by the other NA brands too. Toyota might seem a little outdated if you look at the parts and design of the cars but they are the opposite when it comes to manufacturing, they are actively doing continual improvement.

10 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Elon's compensation is completely in stock options...if the stock hadn't jumped by over 10 fold his salary would have been quite a bit more reasonable...it's the extreme movement of the stock that caused his wealth.  Tesla employees also had stock options available to them, so had they done that they would have been making quite the decent wage.  Had the stock stayed roughly the same, he would have made nothing.  (Literally he got paid so much because in 1 year period Tesla hit the goal that was intended to be hit 8 years down the road).  That also benefits Tesla as a whole as well because they can do capital raises and progress quicker

Check my source. That was Elon's compensation for tax year 2019. The year of Model 3 production hell.

Yea until they have true full self driving cars, they just make glorify electric cars.... But once they have true full driving cars selling cars is just extra for them.

3 hours ago, asquirrel said:

Check my source. That was Elon's compensation for tax year 2019. The year of Model 3 production hell.

You didn't post any source in your wall of text...but what I said is still accurate.  If you were referring to things like the following, then just beware that the reporting wasn't actually fully accurate
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-compensation-over-2-billion-2019-5

His compensation package is defined on performance goals (in terms of the stock).  The problem is that they have hit the 8 year goal in less than 2, which means everything really was accelerated (and it's paid out in 12 chunks over the course of 10 years).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 2/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, James Evens said:

it is infeasible to design a MCU with a significantly higher product lifetime.

Marvel's is 13 and still going.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎