DLSS now available to all developers as a plugin in UE4

SFFDesigns

Summary

DLSS is now available as a plugin in Unreal Engine 4, meaning that all developers using UE4 can now access DLSS through a plugin in the UE Marketplace.

Quotes

Developers using @UnrealEngine 4 can now access #DLSS as a plugin for UE4 4.26. With DLSS, developers can enjoy great scaling across all GeForce RTX GPUs and resolutions, including the new ultra-performance mode for 8K gaming. Download today through the UE Marketplace.

My thoughts

In my opinion, this is very important. I think DLSS will gain traction much more quickly thanks to this development as it now has a much bigger "audience" in terms of the games in which it can be integrated. It will definitely be interesting to see how many more games receive the technology in the next few months. 

Sources

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/nvidia-dlss

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGameDev/status/1359935065577299971

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

I wonder how well it'll work since DLSS is technically AI...? which means it'll need training depending on the game's art style

it's not as simple as turning on anti-aliasing

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

This is indeed very important. I don't know anything about game development but this seems DLSS 2.0 is really just something that can be integrated quickly as a plugin. This should skyrocket the adoption rate in future games, aswell as current games that get updated with DLSS like War Thunder for example. In this game i found the DLSS "Quality" preset actually gives a superior image to native 4K in most scenes.

It would be very interesting if there are any devs using Unreal4 here and maybe tell us about how easy/hard it is to fully implement.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I wonder how well it'll work since DLSS is technically AI...? which means it'll need training depending on the game's art style

it's not as simple as turning on anti-aliasing

Afaik DLSS 2.0 does not need to be trained to individual games, but to a big database of images independant of any specific game.

DLSS 1.0 had to be trained for every game induvidually.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Summary

DLSS is now available as a plugin in Unreal Engine 4, meaning that all developers using UE4 can now access DLSS through a plugin in the UE Marketplace.

Quotes

My thoughts

In my opinion, this is very important. I think DLSS will gain traction much more quickly thanks to this development as it now has a much bigger "audience" in terms of the games in which it can be integrated. It will definitely be interesting to see how many more games receive the technology in the next few months. 

Sources

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/nvidia-dlss

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGameDev/status/1359935065577299971

Seems like our graphics cards are probably going to need DLSS, trying to render those MetaHumans xD. Jokes apart, those do look amazing.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

1 minute ago, GravityHurts said:

I just hope that dlss doesn't become something that you are required to have turned on in order to get decent performance.

I don't think it'll become a requirement, but I do think that it could allow "60-series" cards and such to perform well above their price class in some games

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1, get technology working at all on a case by case basis

2, get technology working on a general basis

3, make it easier to use that tech

Sounds like nvidia are entering stage 3. If more games support it, maybe I can stick it out with Turing for longer.

One thing I predicted but doesn't seem to have become the case is I thought there would be more in depth comparisons of DLSS on/off, since that is often an argument point especially from those lacking it. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So, Unreal Engine now has easy DLSS support. Next should be Unity.

Yep, I 100% agree. If they get support for that in the next year or so, I think Nvidia will be in a pretty safe spot by the time FidelityFX Super Resolution is fully polished

9 minutes ago, GravityHurts said:

I just hope that dlss doesn't become something that you are required to have turned on in order to get decent performance.

Games have scaled up and down the hardware for a long time and I'd expect that to continue. However moving towards an expectation of DLSS or equivalent technologies for current and future hardware may enable the higher end to go higher faster. Game devs could do more than they otherwise would, and we have to move forward at some point. I think RT is a bigger factor in that, but DLSS would also help.

I used a 2070 for a while on 1 4k TV. It would do 1440 high+ depending on the title, but at 4k, it was more like a low-medium card if you wanted 60fps. With DLSS you get at least a 4k high experience out of it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

57 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

DLSS is now available as a plugin in Unreal Engine 4, meaning that all developers using UE4 can now access DLSS through a plugin in the UE Marketplace

Najs! That'll undoubtedly lead to far more games adopting DLSS and, given how great a feature it is, that's only good for everyone!

...well, everyone with a modern NVIDIA GPU, anyways.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Whew, this makes me glad I backed nvidia and the 20-series by getting a 2060 last year rather than a 10/16 or amd.  I've been incredibly impressed by the DLSS experience so far, specifically in Deliver Us the Moon (allows for usable RTX on my card, which is cool as hell in the game) and Death Stranding (the 4k DLSS is ridiculously hard to differentiate from native 4k, and the difference between 4K DLSS and...whatever the PS4 Pro uses is astounding).  Further, seeing the differences between DLSS 1.0 and 2.0 in games like Control is beyond belief.  If the industry has better access to the technology like through UE4, well, this tech will really blow up.

And mind you, I want AMD to create a valid competitor, hopefully one that's compatible, just like with ray tracing.  Competition is vital, after all.

1 hour ago, metaleggman said:

And mind you, I want AMD to create a valid competitor, hopefully one that's compatible, just like with ray tracing.  Competition is vital, after all.

Well the 6800 series is that already, we haven't even seen any RT games developed for these GPUs in mind yet and in the few titles that do exist the performance difference ranges from well that's a bit worse than Nvidia to ouch that's terrible. DLSS + RT combination on Nvidia makes more of a difference than the RT performance difference between them, I fully expect properly supported games designed for 6800 series to have much lesser difference so AMD's DLSS equivalent is just that bit more important if you are someone that wants RT enabled in their games..

Either way buying a 6800 series GPU will in no way make you suffer any real deficiencies in the next 2 or so years, I would however be mindful of buying any higher end/expensive GPU right now as I think some rather important changes are going to come through in the next few years.

We're about to see the impacts of new generations consoles on wider game development, adoption of GPU features in to games and support for competing technology implementations. Then we also have new hardware that is coming soon after all this so to me as time goes on it seems like it's getting worse proposition to be buying higher end GPUs, if you managed to get in early and maximize your time with the GPU then great.

Well, there is always ReShade with Marty's RTGI. And there, you need GPU grunt because it's using regular shaders for ray tracing compute. And can be applied to any game. Running Borderlands 2 with RTGI and it's just amazing how realistic lighting is with it even though game uses cartoonish style. But also quite significant performance hit. At 1440p on RTX 3080 and it's quite struggling and I'm using half resolution ray tracing. I think RX 6800 XT might actually perform better with RTGI.

Official ray tracing is supported in so few games it's not really properly utilized. RTGI can be applied to pretty much any game. When you have so much compute grunt, it's stupid not to use it.

At some point, it all comes back to DirectX as the common denominator API. While DLSS 2.0 is hot stuff, I think DirectML will win out in the end.

Important, but "DLSS 2.0" is really best suited for running games at 4K that otherwise can't. (2.0 still feels like a misnomer. This is at least the 4th or 5th major revision of the software package.) But what it does do is actually work at 4K, unlike the early versions which really didn't work. Control's implimenetation still looks like the best version, but that was done significantly by Remedy themselves. 

The "holy grail" is still driver-level Dynamic Resolution Scaling to maintain locked frame rates, which will use a lot of techniques to get there.

RIP AMD GPU just when they thought they were competitive. No seriously if AMD doesn't do something soon this could be the death blow for their GPU division. DLSS is seriously awesome technology and having major adoption is awesome.

My RTX 2070S: happy noises

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 hours ago, porina said:

1, get technology working at all on a case by case basis

2, get technology working on a general basis

3, make it easier to use that tech

Sounds like nvidia are entering stage 3. If more games support it, maybe I can stick it out with Turing for longer.

One thing I predicted but doesn't seem to have become the case is I thought there would be more in depth comparisons of DLSS on/off, since that is often an argument point especially from those lacking it. 

AMD may be attempting to skip step 1, and with the new consoles using RDNA2 variants 3 may come rather quickly since the increase in performance would be a godsend for devs and keep download sizes down.

5 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

AMD may be attempting to skip step 1, and with the new consoles using RDNA2 variants 3 may come rather quickly since the increase in performance would be a godsend for devs and keep download sizes down.

The thought did cross my mind. If they can achieve that straight off, even if not perfect, it can help them catch up faster. Still, I'd have to guess they don't currently have that in consoles, if they're also working on it for dGPUs. Assuming both are similar enough that the concept works on both, even if there might need to be performance tuning for a given level device.

Does this mean existing games could receive DLSS support with a patch? 

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

If the engine they've been developed with is supported, probably. 

Yes, I meant existing Unreal Engine 4 games - Jedi: Fallen Order, Sea of Thieves, Mordhau, Outer Worlds... Fortnite lmao