Any bmx bike riders here..?

narrdarr

Looking to get one for the kid. He's 9 yrs 4'8 76 lbs. He's use to riding a cheap heavy mountain bike. Looking to get him a bmx racing bike. I was thinking of a 20“ bike, withe 19.5 TT, 165mm crank. Is it to big?

I haven't been around bikes for a long time due to knee issues. So any extra info would be appreciated. 

Thanks

5 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Looking to get one for the kid. He's 9 yrs 4'8 76 lbs. He's use to riding a cheap heavy mountain bike. Looking to get him a bmx racing bike. I was thinking of a 20“ bike, withe 19.5 TT, 165mm crank. Is it to big?

I haven't been around bikes for a long time due to knee issues. So any extra info would be appreciated. 

Thanks

That's going to be huge for him. I am 6'3" and I ride a 20.5 tt, 175mm crank. 

He's at the age where buying a bike sucks. He'll quickly outgrow a 16", but isn't yet big enough for a 20 in my mind. 

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

That's going to be huge for him. I am 6'3" and I ride a 20.5 tt, 175mm crank. 

He's at the age where buying a bike sucks. He'll quickly outgrow a 16", but isn't yet big enough for a 20 in my mind. 

Maybe i misread the sizing chart?

Yeah I think a 16 maybe to small. Any suggestions ?

Well after visiting a few shops. They all said it should  be ok. And if it's a little big at least he has something to grow into. 

The biggest down side is that no1 has any 18 to 19 in tt bmx bikes. None at the shops or online.

There is one dk model online but it only ships in one state.

6 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Maybe i misread the sizing chart?

Yeah I think a 16 maybe to small. Any suggestions ?

Go with the 20. He'll grow into it. Don't worry too much about the tt length, There are ways to compensate (Shorter stem) but most important, get him on the dirt trails. That is where the fun lies. 😉

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Go with the 20. He'll grow into it. Don't worry too much about the tt length, There are ways to compensate (Shorter stem) but most important, get him on the dirt trails. That is where the fun lies. 😉

For sure.. and after much digging  and some word of mouth around I was able to find 

This locally for 370$. It literally 1 of 3 bmx bikes available in my city and the one guy has all 3 bikes lol.

https://www.citygrounds.com/products/dk-bikes-swift-expert-20-bmx-bike-2021?variant=31407294120047&CAWELAID=120088260000065126&CATARGETID=120088260000069978&CADevice=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9zJlqjj7gIVhAh9Ch0HrQXOEAQYBSABEgIfbfD_BwE

Which is cheaper than having it shipped. Hope he digs it

8 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

For sure.. and after much digging  and some word of mouth around I was able to find 

This locally for 370$. It literally 1 of 3 bmx bikes available in my city and the one guy has all 3 bikes lol.

https://www.citygrounds.com/products/dk-bikes-swift-expert-20-bmx-bike-2021?variant=31407294120047&CAWELAID=120088260000065126&CATARGETID=120088260000069978&CADevice=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9zJlqjj7gIVhAh9Ch0HrQXOEAQYBSABEgIfbfD_BwE

Which is cheaper than having it shipped. Hope he digs it

Ah who wouldn't dig that? I wish I had something like that when I was 9 🙂

We still got a lot of snowboarding getting done. But definitely going to be getting on the track and trails soon. Just hope its something that stick with him. I really miss going out in the desert and building my own sets.