Do you use a Microwave Oven ? Do you it for only reheating or do you cook food too ?

james_bond

Hi,

I purchased my first microwave oven on 2018. For 2 years I used it for reheating food only. I didn't cook anything.

Lately I watched a lot of videos on Youtube which shows various recipes for microwave & that made me think.

Yesterday for the first time I actually cooked something using my microwave. I cooked 2 dishes. I cooked Maggi noodles & an omelette.

This is my microwave  >>> click here

Purchasing a solo microwave was a mistake. The reason that I purchased a solo microwave was coz I actually wanted to use it to reheat food only.

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

i use a microwave to cook sauces like cheese sauce and gravy. Some foods taste crap when cooked in a microwave. Sometimes I cook vegetables in the microwave, on a work night when I want to steam veges on a timer while I shower.

I use mine for reheating leftovers, softening/melting butter for baking, and occasionally steaming veggies (although I typically prefer cooking veggies other ways, so this is rare).

Time is typically not a constraint for cooking, so haven't ever used it for that.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

I've used a microwave a total of 2 times in my life.

Once when we had one, but it broke because we put a knife in it.

Once in Florida to warm up a frozen burrito.

That same microwave was used to cook an apple for 3 minutes, because my younger brother had never used a microwave and thought it was like a toaster oven.

elephants

I only heat fresh food,and there are never leftovers.

I am very creative when it comes to microwave cooking,

I made Pizza in a microwave,and cooked sausages there.

I also cook noodles there from time to time.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

28 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I only heat fresh food,and there are never leftovers.

I am very creative when it comes to microwave cooking,

I made Pizza in a microwave,and cooked sausages there.

I also cook noodles there from time to time.

I too cook noodles using my microwave but I cant cook pizza coz my model is not grill/convection. Its SOLO.

I will buy a new model pretty soon.

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

I never even considered there'd be people who don't use a microwave. I use mine daily, though just for reheating or very occasionally for thawing, I've never used it for actual cooking.

When my brother was young he used to like to use the microwave oven to make projects in.

He'd put them into the microwave oven and cook them to make them dry, harden or melt.

He would have stuff he had made with different kinds of glues, paints. Sometimes he would try to melt plastic to try and mold it for his projects.

It used to really annoy me a lot back then because of the toxic smell that would be left in the microwave oven from his projects.

To him it was not just a cooking appliance but a home crafting tool lol.

I laugh about it now but that was probably why we had to keep replacing it so often back then.

Even after my mother had forbidden him to do it anymore. He would still sneak out in the kitchen late at night and do it.

One time I came down in the morning and found the whole inside of it covered with some kind of burnt chemical he tried to use.

He was really 😛 obsessed  with it for a while but eventually he stopped doing it. 

😄

I also use it to boil water when I’m not bothered to use the stove.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

I use it to make baked potatoes, otherwise its a reheater

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

13 hours ago, james_bond said:

Hi,

I purchased my first microwave oven on 2018. For 2 years I used it for reheating food only. I didn't cook anything.

Lately I watched a lot of videos on Youtube which shows various recipes for microwave & that made me think.

Yesterday for the first time I actually cooked something using my microwave. I cooked 2 dishes. I cooked Maggi noodles & an omelette.

This is my microwave  >>> click here

Purchasing a solo microwave was a mistake. The reason that I purchased a solo microwave was coz I actually wanted to use it to reheat food only.

Here in Canada, Microwaves are pretty much ubiquitous for any household. Especially if you're a college student, etc - it should be one of your first purchases.

I rarely cook anything in the microwave. Occasionally baked potatoes. We use it for reheating literally all the time though.

You can definitely cook a lot of things in the microwave - and also, don't listen to anyone that says microwaving food is bad for your health or makes the food less nutritious - that's not true at all. I just happen to prefer the texture that other cooking methods give food compared to microwaved food.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm a truck driver.  I use my microwave to cook about 80% of my meals.  When I'm at home, I rarely use my microwave. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

True story: I attempted to boil some water for Ramen, and my Microwave caught on fire.

I use a Microwave frequently, it's the best way of destroying evidence, er, it's great for re-heating food.

From what I can gather, steaming veggies can actually be healthier in a microwave if done correctly, but my cooking skills are... Well... I can bake, and that's about it. >_> I hate cooking, so most of my food is frozen stuff that goes into the nuclear furnace of rapid heating and even more rapid consumption.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I currently live in a camper as i'm working 9 hours from home. So i use the microwave A LOT. 

Partly because cooking on a portable stove sucks. Mostly because i don't have running water and doing dishes in a camper sucks too much ass.

Mostly ready made meals and pan pizzas though. I still make sure to cook properly a few times a week though.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

25 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

If you want to cook something on the microwave, try the following.

Hide contents

You will need a large glass bowl and a spatula or large spoon.

A can of condensed milk, tablespoon of butter, two or three tablespoons of chocolate powder (50% cocoa). 

Set to full power.

2 minutes, stir.

2 minutes, stir.

It should start forming bubbles at this point, so do in shorter steps.

1 minute, stir.

It will start thickening. You want a thicker paste.

1 minute, stir. It should look like in this video 4:11 - 4:15 https://youtu.be/fZniigc8js4

1 minute, stir.

Should be fine at this point, but you can repeat the 1 minute steps to get a thicker and stretchier candy.

Regarding the can, be extremely careful with metal objects in your microwave for your own safety (in general, avoid it). Use microwave safe containers 🙂

I happen to have an oven/microwave combi unit, but the microwave function I only really use for reheating leftovers. Good thing it's an oven as well otherwise it would hardly see any use.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I only use it to reheat food I already cooked

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Reheat, mostly.

I sometimes "cook" things in it, like hot dog sausages or frozen foods that really should go in the oven but I can't be arsed (pre-cooked frozen chicken nuggets for example). That's it. I don't go out of my way to "cook" anything that wasn't pre-made, basically.

I must say, I've tried, once, to cook a steak in the microwave... ... It was the most sad, bland and disgusting piece of meat I've ever had the displeasure of putting in my mouth.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, tikker said:

Regarding the can, be extremely careful with metal objects in your microwave for your own safety (in general, avoid it). Use microwave safe containers 🙂

Fun fact, whether a metal object is dangerous in the microwave entirely depends on it's shape.

The reason why forks and knives and stuff cause sparks is because of the pointed ends and sharp angles. A perfect sphere of metal would be fairly safe to microwave.

With that in mind, most people probably aren't qualified to tell what is and isn't safe, so I agree with your overall warning - just don't do it!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

25 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Fun fact, whether a metal object is dangerous in the microwave entirely depends on it's shape.

The reason why forks and knives and stuff cause sparks is because of the pointed ends and sharp angles. A perfect sphere of metal would be fairly safe to microwave.

With that in mind, most people probably aren't qualified to tell what is and isn't safe, so I agree with your overall warning - just don't do it!

That is true. Sharp edges or touching the inside walls are the cuplrits. Microwaves often come with metal racks after all. My manual actually only warns I shouldn't leave in the oven tray (flat and thin) when microwaving. The rack (thick, round and smooth) is fine and both hang isolated from the walls.

I actuall left the tray in at a couple of occasions, and while it didn't explode or anything I could hear faint ticks of something sparking every now and then.

Don't microwave your forks kids 🙂

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I use mine to reheat food, small quantities of water, oatmeal, butter, milk for hot cocoa, just generally things where turning on the stove and using a pan wouldn't make sense.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

If you've never tried caramelised white chocolate , you really have to. Its amazing.

Take a good slab of the best quality white choc you can get (you want high cocoa butter content), break it into chucks, bung it in a glass bowl and nuke for 1 min 30, take it out and stir it, nuke again for 1:30, take out and stir. At this point it will look like its gone very wrong (grainy & lumpy), just keep stirring vigorously until it goes smooth again. Rinse & repeat until it changes to a caramel colour. Pour into moulds and leave to set.

Warning: DO NOT GET THE HOT CHOCOLATE STRAIGHT FROM THE NUKER ON YOU, IT WILL LITERALLY MELT YOUR SKIN.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Don't cook an egg in it's shell in the microwave. It will violently explode when you pick it up. Found this on another forum where user there mentioned that he was lucky that when he pick the egg up, his hand was palm down. otherwise he could have burned his face.