The Biden administration is working to help address global semiconductor chip shortage

Lightwreather
11 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

That would just be a workaround for the tariffs, but then American-made goods are usually more expensive.. 馃槙

We kinda just need more production.聽

More expensive because of the valuation of the USD. So how do you debase the currency so that American labor is cheaper and thus bring manufacturing jobs back home? You make the printing press go Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Hence, all the stimulus checks being handed out.

1 hour ago, thechinchinsong said:

I mean in this case, the interests of the big corporations are actually in line with the interests of American consumer, which is reduce reliance on East Asian semiconductor supply lines and have some increased semiconductor supply that is not completely dependent on Korea/Taiwan.

The big elephant in the room is the "Pacific naval fleets". Military spheres of influence, specifically in regards to potential engagements as those do have consequences. This IMHO is more about national security for both the US and EU in my opinion.

Regardless, you can't build fabs overnight. These are multi-BILLION dollar plants. By the time any of them come online making product is what...3 years from now? The chip shortage is going to be painful for awhile yet I'm afraid.聽

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I see the lobbyists have been hard at work again, gotta use that taxpayer money to protect the interests of the big corporations.

No doubt. Here, I'll include the text of the letter

Dear Mr. President:

As your administration formulates an economic recovery and infrastructure strategy, the leaders of the U.S. semiconductor industry call on you to include robust funding for semiconductor manufacturing and research.

WTF!!!! The entire semiconductor industry is approaching close to 500 Billion dollars. And they need a "bailout" from the tax payer? Frankly, this is an insulting slap in the face to be asking for this.

10 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Remove the tariffs first, then begin helping from there. Biden is not helping if he doesn't remove the tariffs first.聽

Removing the Tariffs won't change the production capacity. It only penalizes American customers by making goods more expensive, and penalizes everyone globally that purchases in USD. It would be different if any computer parts were being made in the US and had to be assembled in the US, but that's not the case.

From both an availability and a redundancy perspective, the fact that North America and Europe produces no computer hardware is extremely risky. What if one day mainland china suffers a catastrophic disaster? We've seen several times in the last 20 years where flooding or an earthquake or a power outage has caused ripples in the supply chain.

At one time the previous president tried to encourage investment? Foxconn scammed the Wisconsin government and produced nothing.

https://www.theverge.com/21507966/foxconn-empty-factories-wisconsin-jobs-loophole-trump

Intel produces some parts in the US, but most are in Asia

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000015142/programs.html

If you quickly look at wikipedia, there are US chip factories, but the vast majority are east asia, with all current and next generation process sizes being TSMC.聽

We need to move chip manufacturing back to the USA if for no other reason than security risk. Having chips developed in other countries especially when it's China is a huge security risk. Another benefit is shipping times inside the US, no tarrifs, and more jobs.

12 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

This might be slightly lower quality than my other articles cause I'm doing this on mobile.

Summary

The White House has pledged to help address the ongoing global semiconductor shortage, with President Joe Biden said to be signing an executive order to conduct a supply chain review along with developing a long-term strategy to avoid future shortages.

Quotes

My thoughts

I am happy that the US government is trying to help sort out the shortages but yea I don't know what exactly they can do to help other than well loft tariffs. But whatever they do I hope it works

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/11/22278431/biden-administration-global-semiconductor-chip-shortage-executive-order

https://www.semiconductors.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/SIA-Letter-to-Pres-Biden-re-CHIPS-Act-Funding.pdf

https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-economics/biden-team-pledges-aggressive-steps-to-address-chip-shortage

One is get modern 聽in-US fabs聽actually built. 聽Intel has some, but TSMC was talking about doing it and聽it hasn鈥檛 actually happened yet

Not a pro, not even very good. 聽I鈥檓 just old and have time currently. 聽Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I see we're back to 'write a very very important letter to those involved' politics.

Learn to spot an empty promise, and you'll be surprised how hollow politics actually is.

4 minutes ago, Amias said:

I see we're back to 'write a very very important letter to those involved' politics.

Learn to spot an empty promise, and you'll be surprised how hollow politics actually is.

I don鈥檛 see that at all. 聽From what I can tell, You鈥檙e the only one to even mention such a thing or anything even vaguely close to it.

Not a pro, not even very good. 聽I鈥檓 just old and have time currently. 聽Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Talk is cheap...

Depends, but most of the time it鈥檚 free, and worth every penny. 聽Occasionally it鈥檚 really expensive and worth about the same as the free stuff.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don鈥檛 see that at all. 聽From what I can tell, You鈥檙e the only one to even mention such a thing or anything even vaguely close to it.

Must be nice to be ignorant of the open legal corporate bribery and ownership of the US political system.

They do not represent you.

Locked since people are more interested in US politics than tech.

Nopolitical content, regardless of your views.

• If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remainclearly withintech and must not descend into politics

CPU: Intel i7 6700k聽 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450