Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

120mm AIO vs Low-Profile Air Cooler (5900x OC)

Hey All,

I know there is probably a thread that addresses this already, but I couldn't find it. I recently was introduce to the "P-ATX V2" SFF Case and have been entertaining the idea of moving my current 5900x/3070 set up into something of the sort. I have done a little research and have found that the main problem with this idea are the CPU temps and finding an adequate cooler to contain them. I currently have my 5900x clocked to 4.2GHz @ 1.096v with temps of around 40C idle and 65C at MAX load using a 240mm AIO. If I were to switch to a SFF case I would either need to switch to a 120mm rad or a low-profile air cooler (such as an NH-L9a or CRYORIG C7) due to CPU clearance and general space availability. I was hoping to get some guidance on which you guys think would be the best route as to not cook my CPU, any advice/help would be appreciated 🙂

The White Whale

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING X570-Pro (WI-FI)

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 CL-16

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 FE

CASE: Corsair 275R Airflow (White)

Storage 1: SSD: Samsung 980 PRO Internal NVMe 1TB
Storage 2: HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (w/ WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe 1TB Cache)

Cooling: AIO: MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R

Do you really need an sff case? they get expensive really quick compared to an ATX case.

but honestly 120mm AIO's are a waste, most SFF air coolers can handle the same heat capacity for a lot cheaper.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Do you really need an sff case? they get expensive really quick compared to an ATX case.

but honestly 120mm AIO's are a waste, most SFF air coolers can handle the same heat capacity for a lot cheaper.

I don't NEED a SFF case. My rig is currently in a Mid-ATX case right now and is fine. This was more so an interest or desired change later down the line. Besides, my workspace isn't the biggest, so any way to maximize desk and/or floor space is a plus.

The White Whale

1 hour ago, FoodOcean said:

Hey All,

I know there is probably a thread that addresses this already, but I couldn't find it. I recently was introduce to the "P-ATX V2" SFF Case and have been entertaining the idea of moving my current 5900x/3070 set up into something of the sort. I have done a little research and have found that the main problem with this idea are the CPU temps and finding an adequate cooler to contain them. I currently have my 5900x clocked to 4.2GHz @ 1.096v with temps of around 40C idle and 65C at MAX load using a 240mm AIO. If I were to switch to a SFF case I would either need to switch to a 120mm rad or a low-profile air cooler (such as an NH-L9a or CRYORIG C7) due to CPU clearance and general space availability. I was hoping to get some guidance on which you guys think would be the best route as to not cook my CPU, any advice/help would be appreciated 🙂

Are you familiar with the YouTube channel Machines & More?  He has great SFF content, the vast majority is focused on cooling. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, 1982 Original said:

Are you familiar with the YouTube channel Machines & More?  He has great SFF content, the vast majority is focused on cooling. 

I am familiar, but his videos don't really answer my question. He does use a 5000 series CPU, but its a 5600x, not a 5900x.

The White Whale