PC crashing in Prime95

phoon

I've been troubleshooting this PC for days.

It has an i5-6600 w/ stock cooler. I'm testing out both the CPU and RAM w/ prime95 and temps hit 100C and CPU throttles (26C on idle) sometimes it crashes before I can stop the prime95 test. Swapped out the RAM but Its doing the same thing.

Is it normal for temps to 100C on stock cooler.

It starts hitting these these temps on test 2 in prime95,

Doesn't even blue screen anymore just shuts off.

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

10 minutes ago, phoon said:

It has an i5-6600 w/ stock cooler. I'm testing out both the CPU and RAM w/ prime95 and temps hit 100C and CPU throttles

And you're surprised it shuts off? Would you prefer the CPU taking serious damage? I mean, what do you expect from the stock cooler? Throwing repeatedly Prime95 at a system that struggles to stay cool and stable is not really sensible. The Tjunction of that generation of desktop chips is 100°C. Idle temps are mostly irrelevant. 

If you suspect some defect you need to fix the thermal issues first before torture testing it with Prime95.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Why are you running prime95 with a stock cooler? Your hitting the thermal max for the CPU which will shut down the PC.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

9 minutes ago, phoon said:

Is it normal for temps to 100C on stock cooler

no. try to repaste it and clean the fans

9 minutes ago, phoon said:

It has an i5-6600 w/ stock cooler. I'm testing out both the CPU and RAM w/ prime95 and temps hit 100C and CPU throttles (26C on idle) sometimes it crashes before I can stop the prime95 test. Swapped out the RAM but Its doing the same thing.

The old Intel stock cooler is terrible, as in literally garbage.

Just now, Hans Christian | Teri said:

The old Intel stock cooler is terrible, as in literally garbage.

Is that so alright I'll retry with an AIO

My PC is a fast boyo:

2 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

If you suspect some defect you need to fix the thermal issues first before torture testing it with Prime95.

Any program I can use to test out the system, something other than prime95?

My PC is a fast boyo:

2 minutes ago, phoon said:

Is that so alright I'll retry with an AIO

Well hold on there, it's not just one or the other.
- Hyper 212
- NH-D15

These have better performance than most AIOs

And for reference Prime95 is literally a torture test, not a realistic test of daily use

Superposition is free but it's mostly gpu heavy

Just now, phoon said:

Any program I can use to test out the system, something other than prime95?

Depends on what you want to test. If it's memory you're trying to test: MemTest86. Cinebench is a viable overall test scenario for CPU and memory. Furmark is a torture test for the GPU, 3dMark is a viable overall performance test.

You have not specified an error to make any recommendations.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 minute ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Well hold on there, it's not just one or the other.
- Hyper 212
- NH-D15

These have better performance than most AIOs

And for reference Prime95 is literally a torture test, not a realistic test of daily use

Superposition is free but it's mostly gpu heavy

Corsair H100i v2?

My PC is a fast boyo:

Just now, phoon said:

Corsair H100i v2?

What is the issue with the system? You're about to just throw money at a system to fix an unspecified error.

1 minute ago, bowrilla said:

You have not specified an error to make any recommendations.

It just crashes on CSGO.

I thought Prime95 was like any other stress test but I've learned today that it's what you can a torture test

My PC is a fast boyo:

Just now, phoon said:

Corsair H100i v2?

I have an H110i

Can confirm any NH-D15 model will give this thing a run for it's money (I'm using a 3900x and the D15 is still a solid consideration, think about that)

Just now, bowrilla said:

What is the issue with the system? You're about to just throw money at a system to fix an unspecified error.

I already have it but I swapped it out because I was afraid the pump would soon die out on me

My PC is a fast boyo:

1 minute ago, phoon said:

I already have it but I swapped it out because I was afraid the pump would soon die out on me

Oh you don't need to worry about that. The pumps run at a static speed regardless of the water temp and they're rated for at least 45 c

All the cooling is done on the radiator. imo throw that sucker on and you'll probably fix the high temps issue

22 minutes ago, phoon said:

No, 100C is not normal...it is throttling and probably shutting off to prevent itself from burning up. 

Prime95 is probably crashing because of this...even if it's something else causing this, the thermal issue is something you will need to fix. Intel stock coolers are crap, but should be sufficient. I'd remove the cooler, clean the CPU with isopropyl alcohol and reapply quality thermal paste.

2 minutes ago, phoon said:

It just crashes on CSGO.

So what are the temps during CSGO gaming sessions (CPU, GPU, system)? Use HWInfo64 and have it monitor the system in the background. Make it write a CSV log.

The Intel stock cooler is a bad joke for anything else then light office use.

If your CPU reachs mid to high 90s then you definitely need a new cooler asap and you have probably found the cause of your issues. If it isn't going over 90°C then you have a different issue. Make sure memory is fine with memtest86 (will boot from a USB stick an test for a while).

5 minutes ago, phoon said:

Why did you think that? Any symptoms in that regard?

Just now, steelo said:

I'd remove the cooler, clean the CPU with isopropyl alcohol and reapply quality thermal paste.

This. The important part here is you don't do anything with the stock cooler after removing it 🙂

10 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Hyper 212

that is literally stock cooler, atleast AMD's stock coolers (wraith prism) performance. that is nowhere close AIOs.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 minute ago, bowrilla said:

So what are the temps during CSGO gaming sessions (CPU, GPU, system)? Use HWInfo64 and have it monitor the system in the background. Make it write a CSV log.

The Intel stock cooler is a bad joke for anything else then light office use.

If your CPU reachs mid to high 90s then you definitely need a new cooler asap and you have probably found the cause of your issues. If it isn't going over 90°C then you have a different issue. Make sure memory is fine with memtest86 (will boot from a USB stick an test for a while).

Why did you think that? Any symptoms in that regard?

I just need to make sure that the memory isn't the issue here.

Do you think it's fine to run memtest86 on the stock cooler or should I install the AIO?

My PC is a fast boyo:

1 minute ago, phoon said:

I just need to make sure that the memory isn't the issue here.

Do you think it's fine to run memtest86 on the stock cooler or should I install the AIO?

Perfectly fine.

5 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

that is literally stock cooler, atleast AMD's stock coolers (wraith prism) performance. that is nowhere close AIOs.

Well fuck beside a 6th gen intel stock cooler it might as well be 😝

image.png.0ef8b469a115e8bca731fa78df3d99ea.png

You are hilariously correct

9 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Well fuck beside a 6th gen intel stock cooler it might as well be 😝

image.png.0ef8b469a115e8bca731fa78df3d99ea.png

You are hilariously correct

i did not know i was that close lol

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Does sound like multiple layers here. Throttling might be expected as described, but crashes and shutdowns are not. What is the rest of the system spec?

Check the cooler is mounted correctly. The stock cooler has several split pins that should go through the mobo. Especially if the cooler has been used before, it is easy to bend one of the retaining bits so it catches on the wrong side of the mobo, causing an uneven fit.

Is there plenty of airflow around the cooler? Try running with the case lid off and see if that makes a big difference. If it does, look at case airflow.

Assuming we get past the cooling, it would be interesting what errors are found by prime95. Depending on the FFT size it failed on, we can deduce where it is more likely to have happened. Generally, smaller FFTs stress the core. Bigger FFTs stress the IMC and ram more.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible