Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Noctua NH-D15 Vibrating on max speed

I just got a Ryzen 9 3900XT with a new Noctua NH-D15 Cooler. Just installed it. I have the exact same issue. The cooling towers vibrate at max fan speed. I actually see it vibrating, IF I watch it close enough. I confirmed it by touching the towers. The base seems stable though. Is this because of a failed fan? Should I go for an RMA?

 

As far as the temps go...

Min temp 37°C, when idle

Max temp 82°C, while at full CPU Utilization, on Cinebench R23

 

Any responses or insights, are deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure the mounting equipment is snug and the two spring retention screws as well??? 

PSU Tier List  || Graphics Card Tier List || Community Standards

 

Resonance Cascade Specifications: 

 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB(8x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Air cooler vibration usually means major fan imbalance, or something magnifying a very minor imbalance such as a messed up mount that doesn’t hold tight. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the fans facing the correct directions?

 

If it's a bad fan, unplug one at a time and run at 100 to find the bad one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

Are you sure the mounting equipment is snug and the two spring retention screws as well??? 

 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Air cooler vibration usually means major fan imbalance, or something magnifying a very minor imbalance such as a messed up mount that doesn’t hold tight. 

All good. Just checked them again... Nudging the towers doesn't move a thing at the base or the retention mechanism. The Spring retention screws are perfectly fit and aligned, as well. I have one fan slightly offset due to the Tall RAM modules. Otherwise, both coolers perfectly aligned to the towers.

 

I'm adding a picture to show the offset...

IMG_20210211_224226.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Are the fans facing the correct directions?

 

If it's a bad fan, unplug one at a time and run at 100 to find the bad one. 

Facing the same directions as shown in the manual. Unplugging one at a time and run at 100%, doing it now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ilak2k said:

I just got a Ryzen 9 3900XT with a new Noctua NH-D15 Cooler. Just installed it. I have the exact same issue. The cooling towers vibrate at max fan speed. I actually see it vibrating, IF I watch it close enough. I confirmed it by touching the towers. The base seems stable though. Is this because of a failed fan? Should I go for an RMA?

 

As far as the temps go...

Min temp 37°C, when idle

Max temp 82°C, while at full CPU Utilization, on Cinebench R23

 

Any responses or insights, are deeply appreciated. Thanks!

So, if not for the vibration, the mentioned temps are good then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ilak2k said:

So, if not for the vibration, the mentioned temps are good then?

It's hard to tell if the temps are "good" without knowing how many watts your pulling on the CPU and what your room temps are like.  Someone in a climate controlled 70F room would likely see different CPU temps than someone sitting in an 80F room because they live in a tropical climate.  The vibration doesn't seem normal though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ilak2k said:

Facing the same directions as shown in the manual. Unplugging one at a time and run at 100%, doing it now!

@Bombastinator

Results:

Additional fan running at 1520rpm, very light vibration

CPU Fan in the middle running at 1512rpm, obvious vibration

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ilak2k said:

@Bombastinator

Results:

Additional fan running at 1520rpm, very light vibration

CPU Fan in the middle running at 1512rpm, obvious vibration

Contact noctua with your problem, they'll probably send you a fan if it's new enough. 

 

In the meantime you could put the good fan in the middle for normal usage. Just watch your Ts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

It's hard to tell if the temps are "good" without knowing how many watts your pulling on the CPU and what your room temps are like.  Someone in a climate controlled 70F room would likely see different CPU temps than someone sitting in an 80F room because they live in a tropical climate.  The vibration doesn't seem normal though.

@1982 Original Thanks for your response.

Room temp at 30C/86F

CPU Idle Temp at 40C/104F

 

CPU Max Temp at 80C/176F

CPU Clock Speed at 4004 to 4024 MHz

CPU Voltage at 1.3 to 1.314volt

Not sure how many watts the CPU consumes but the RAW Power consumption difference is from 200watts/238volts(Idle) to 342watts/236volts(Max CPU Utilization)

These are observed during the Cinebench R23 Multi-CPU Test

 

2021-02-11 (6).png

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Contact noctua with your problem, they'll probably send you a fan if it's new enough. 

 

In the meantime you could put the good fan in the middle for normal usage. Just watch your Ts. 

Thank you! Will move the good one to the middle. It's just been a week since the purchase. I'll contact Noctua Support. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ilak2k said:

@1982 Original Thanks for your response.

Room temp at 30C/86F

CPU Idle Temp at 40C/104F

 

CPU Max Temp at 80C/176F

CPU Clock Speed at 4004 to 4024 MHz

CPU Voltage at 1.3 to 1.314volt

Not sure how many watts the CPU consumes but the RAW Power consumption difference is from 200watts/238volts(Idle) to 342watts/236volts(Max CPU Utilization)

These are observed during the Cinebench R23 Multi-CPU Test

 

2021-02-11 (6).png

Given your room temp is 86F, I would guess that your temps are fine and where they should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ilak2k said:

 

All good. Just checked them again... Nudging the towers doesn't move a thing at the base or the retention mechanism. The Spring retention screws are perfectly fit and aligned, as well. I have one fan slightly offset due to the Tall RAM modules. Otherwise, both coolers perfectly aligned to the towers.

 

I'm adding a picture to show the offset...

~Snipped Photo~

 

51 minutes ago, ilak2k said:

@Bombastinator

Results:

Additional fan running at 1520rpm, very light vibration

CPU Fan in the middle running at 1512rpm, obvious vibration

Contact Noctua about the issue with the fan, obviously its out of balanced so they should be able to send you out a replacement fan since it falls under warranty. 

PSU Tier List  || Graphics Card Tier List || Community Standards

 

Resonance Cascade Specifications: 

 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB(8x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

Given your room temp is 86F, I would guess that your temps are fine and where they should be.

Haaa! Thank you so much, that is such a relief. This is my first AMD PC, and I kept wondering if I did the thermal paste thing correctly. Thanks again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

 

Contact Noctua about the issue with the fan, obviously its out of balanced so they should be able to send you out a replacement fan since it falls under warranty. 

@SpiderMan Thank you so much, going with the RMA request right away! This is my first in this forum. I'm so happy you guys are here to help and I never expected such a quick response. LTT rocks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×