Apple and TSMC Team Up on Micro-OLED Panel Deal

Jet_ski

Summary

Apple has reached a deal with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) in order to develop  ultra-advanced display technology, likely for the augmented reality products it has in development. That’s according to a report Wednesdayfrom Nikkei Asia.

The deal will entail the development of micro OLED displays, and represents a partnership between two companies that have long worked together. TSMC is long supplied chips to Apple, including for iPhones. 

The companies are teaming up, per the Nikkei report, because “micro OLED displays are not built on glass substrates like the conventional LCD screens in smartphones and TVs, or OLED displays used in high-end smartphones. Instead, these new displays are built directly onto wafers—the substrates that semiconductors are fabricated on.”

Quotes

“Panel players are good at making screens bigger and bigger, but when it comes to thin and light devices like AR glasses, you need a very small screen,” a source with “direct information on the micro OLED R&D project” told Nikkei. ”Apple is partnering with TSMC to develop the technology because the chipmaker’s expertise is making things ultra-small and good, while Apple is also leveraging panel experts’ know-how on display technologies.”

My thoughts

I called a while back but I didn’t think Apple would make their own panels; I thought they’d by it from LG or Sony.

Whelp. There goes my future income.

Sources

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/techland/apple-and-tsmc-team-micro-oled-panel-deal-177977

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Apple-partners-with-TSMC-to-develop-ultra-advanced-displays

microLED or microOLED ? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hmm, so still an OLED tech before microLED then huh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

microLED or microOLED ? 

8 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

59 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

OLEDs? I think this was their typo. Micro LEDs makes a ton of sense, but OLEDs are completely outside their area of expertise.

I read somewhere that it in fact is MicroOLED and not MicroLED that is the deal here. Basically just a different way of making OLED with smaller "pixels" to reduce problems with burn in because this technology is more mature than MicroLED that is still not economically feasible in scale production. 

Don't know if this info is true or not, but that is how I understood it. 

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

should I put my money in Apple stock or TSMC stock or both?

bad idea probably.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

OLEDs? I think this was their typo. Micro LEDs makes a ton of sense, but OLEDs are completely outside their area of expertise.

It’s not a typo. They are planning to make micro OLED panels. Which makes sense if they want their AR to be “Retina”/HiDPI from that short of a distance.

Some of the stuff Apple did with the Apple Watch like the always on display tells me they have the engineers for it. And these panels will supposedly be on wafers unlike current displays!

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

Summary

Apple has reached a deal with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) in order to develop  ultra-advanced display technology, likely for the augmented reality products it has in development. That’s according to a report Wednesdayfrom Nikkei Asia.

The deal will entail the development of micro OLED displays, and represents a partnership between two companies that have long worked together. TSMC is long supplied chips to Apple, including for iPhones. 

The companies are teaming up, per the Nikkei report, because “micro OLED displays are not built on glass substrates like the conventional LCD screens in smartphones and TVs, or OLED displays used in high-end smartphones. Instead, these new displays are built directly onto wafers—the substrates that semiconductors are fabricated on.”

Quotes

My thoughts

I called a while back but I didn’t think Apple would make their own panels; I thought they’d by it from LG or Sony.

Whelp. There goes my future income.

Sources

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/techland/apple-and-tsmc-team-micro-oled-panel-deal-177977

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Apple-partners-with-TSMC-to-develop-ultra-advanced-displays

That means the displays will need to be tiny compared to TVs.  Explains the VR aspect. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Apple is launching new iMacs, MacBooks, and iPads with micro LED later this year. At least that’s the rumor.

7 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

“Panel players are good at making screens bigger and bigger, but when it comes to thin and light devices like AR glasses, you need a very small screen,” a source with “direct information on the micro OLED R&D project” told Nikkei.

Honestly I’m just surprised at the speed with which Apple is preping for its “Apple Glasses”.  Half a year ago I would have guessed they would be something like 5 years out but this combined with their recent usage of LIDAR sensors (a way for these glasses to interact with the world without having a camera strapped on that would piss people off) I wouldn’t be surprised to see them being on sale three years from now.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

11 hours ago, Spindel said:

I read somewhere that it in fact is MicroOLED and not MicroLED that is the deal here. Basically just a different way of making OLED with smaller "pixels" to reduce problems with burn in because this technology is more mature than MicroLED that is still not economically feasible in scale production. 

Don't know if this info is true or not, but that is how I understood it. 

Yeah makes sense I guess.

10 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

Apple is launching new iMacs, MacBooks, and iPads with micro LED later this year. At least that’s the rumor.

Those would be MiniLED based though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, JLO64 said:

Honestly I’m just surprised at the speed with which Apple is preping for its “Apple Glasses”.  Half a year ago I would have guessed they would be something like 5 years out but this combined with their recent usage of LIDAR sensors (a way for these glasses to interact with the world without having a camera strapped on that would piss people off) I wouldn’t be surprised to see them being on sale three years from now.

Normally we would not see many signs of an product in development at apple until its ready for reales however apple have seen how when they do this in the past `Apple Watch` the software story for developers takes at least 2 to 3 years to take shape. A lot of this is them working out what sort of APIs they need to provide to enable developer to make use of the hardware.  Clearly apple want the glasses to be a hit from day one, they do not want to risk waiting 3 years for the platform to be mature enough to be compelling so they are using the iPhone platform to try out SDK ideas and adapt and learn what works when providing tools to developer for AR. That is also what the VR headset that is coming will be for, its a platform that will have a load of interesting things like eye tracking and likely variable fill rate shading based on this that needs to run at high refresh rates so a perfect place to adapt and learn what they need for that side fo the API, developer tools, profiling etc so that when the real device ships they can expect developers to be able to make use of it very quickly. 

9 hours ago, lostcattears said:

Hmmm.... I wish Apple would just jump on MicroLed come on Micro oled...

Oled is micro oled.  Oled are easier to make than leds that don’t wear out.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.