Rumors of my death were greatly exagerrated - Pascal continues(?) its return with NVIDIA possibly resupplying the GTX 1050 Ti

D13H4RD
1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Won't a HD 7970 be more tempting?

These cards still support the NVIDIA recording bar thing.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

These cards still support the NVIDIA recording bar thing.

AMD cards have Relive - which is similar.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2/6/2021:

image.thumb.png.35c11a003cbb6968bc5cc0c2721e9105.png

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Is Nvidia restarting manufacturing of the GTX 1050Ti, or simply supplying whatever older stocks of the dGPU they have?

I can see restarting the production of an not so old previous Generation of a GPU/CPU, abet updated and on a smaller node to produce lower cost models with lower power consumption. But only to a certain point...

I guess my plan to not buy hardware until 2022 has paid off. Maybe by 2H or 3Q 2022 AMD and Nvidia can solve some of these supply issues.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I see this as kind of scary.  Apparently they can’t fill gaming needs with new GPUs because they’re all getting absorbed by cryptomining so they’re looking for stuff so weak that it can’t do cryptomining.  Has ugly implications for PC gaming. 

Should cryptomining not die off anytime soon, I ponder what the future for PC gaming will be. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Why not the 1060?
And I'm waiting for Kepler and them to bring back the 600-series.

Why not indeed.  Do people mine with 1060s?  It could be profiteering.  “These things are near free to make and people are desperate. Let’s screw em!” Kinda thing.  I just don’t know

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

41 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

I guess my plan to not buy hardware until 2022 has paid off. Maybe by 2H or 3Q 2022 AMD and Nvidia can solve some of these supply issues.

Unless it continues to get worse.  My similar plan to not buy hardware is a somewhat shorter timeframe is absolutely not paying off.  The m1 Mac is looking better and better at this point 😕

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

2/6/2021:

image.thumb.png.35c11a003cbb6968bc5cc0c2721e9105.png

1050 Ti and a 10700K?!

Why?,just why?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Should cryptomining not die off anytime soon, I ponder what the future for PC gaming will be. 

Going to need a gpu that can beat or at least get reasonably near a console and not be mined on, otherwise it could get quite bad.  Sort of waiting for someone to write code to make it possible to mine on consoles.  I could see that happening.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

1050 Ti and a 10700K?!

Why?,just why?

Coding?  I’d probably do without the 1050ti though at that point. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Unless it continues to get worse.  My similar plan to not buy hardware is a somewhat shorter timeframe is absolutely not paying off.  The m1 Mac is looking better and better at this point 😕

Shipments take a few months to get into circulation.

Both NVIDIA and AMD probably ship cards at the moment they are ready,

But one strategy they can use is to collect a large sum of cards,so big that there is no way that scalpers and miners will be able to buy them all,

And then release them all at once to the market,prices will plummet and scalpers will be stuck with the cards they bought.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Shipments take a few months to get into circulation.

Both NVIDIA and AMD probably ship cards at the moment they are ready,

But one strategy they can use is to collect a large sum of cards,so big that there is no way that scalpers and miners will be able to buy them all,

And then release them all at once to the market,prices will plummet and scalpers will be stuck with the cards they bought.

Zone flooding.  It could work.  Might not though.  It requires a knowledge of how big the capacity of the scalpers to hold cards is which probably isn’t very high, but there are a lot of them.  Hard to estimate.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Why not indeed.  Do people mine with 1060s?  It could be profiteering.  “These things are near free to make and people are desperate. Let’s screw em!” Kinda thing.  I just don’t know

Nicehash says you can make $2.25 a day mining on a 1060 6GB with 10 cent per kilowatt hour electricity. Seems like anything 6GB or more is profitable enough to mine on (the eth dag is too big to fit in 4GB of VRAM so profitability drops way off below 6GB VRAM).

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Nicehash says you can make $2.25 a day mining on a 1060 6GB with 10 cent per kilowatt hour electricity. Seems like anything 6GB or more is profitable enough to mine on (the eth dag is too big to fit in 4GB of VRAM so profitability drops way off below 6GB VRAM).

That would be enough reason to go down market then. If the problem isn’t speed but memory, one could do a gpu with a heftier cpu but not enough memory to mine with.  Get some GPUs with 5.5gb memory at tu104s or something.

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That would be enough reason to go down market then. If the problem isn’t speed but memory, one could do a gpu with a heftier cpu but not enough memory to mine with.  Get some GPUs with 5.5gb memory at tu104s or something.

Right now eth is using 4.4gb VRAM, so anything below that would suffer significant speed lost

But there might be other algo that are still profitable on those cards, just not as profitable as eth perhaps

Edit: 1050ti is making more than I expected, about $20 a month, pretty decent amount of change for a GPU of its caliber

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

<sarcasm>It's a good thing that Resizable-BAR isn't available to anything other than current gen GPUs (Ampere)</sarcasm>

How to sell off your old stock 101

1. Create awesome new products.

2. Try your best to fulfill new orders but fail.

3. Prices of your new products inflate to insane levels.

4. Prices of your old products on the used market inflate to insane levels too.

5. Use this opportunity to sell off your old products on "original prices".

6. ???

7. Profit. Rinse & repeat.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I'd probably wait for hardware that can decode and encode AV1, and right now only 11th gen intel cpu's , AMD 6000 GPU's and nVidia 30xx GPU's can do this. Absolutely nothing can encode AV1 yet. So if there was ever a reason to purposely skip the current GPU parts, this is it. If AV1 hardware encoding comes out on the nvidia 40xx GPU's, I'd have to purchase one, and I'm not looking forwarding to another year of scalper nonsense. Perhaps Intel will get an encoder in Xe before then and take some of the wind out of nVidia's capability, but Intel has never produced a good GPU part.

Anyways the GTX 1050 and 1650 have the same decoder capability, so they're definitely not making these for HTPC's. They're likely being made for OEM's, and have to contract a minimum amount of capacity, so some ODM's likely just went "we'll take what's left" and that's where we are here. 

35 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I'd probably wait for hardware that can decode and encode AV1, and right now only 11th gen intel cpu's , AMD 6000 GPU's and nVidia 30xx GPU's can do this. Absolutely nothing can encode AV1 yet. So if there was ever a reason to purposely skip the current GPU parts, this is it. If AV1 hardware encoding comes out on the nvidia 40xx GPU's, I'd have to purchase one, and I'm not looking forwarding to another year of scalper nonsense. Perhaps Intel will get an encoder in Xe before then and take some of the wind out of nVidia's capability, but Intel has never produced a good GPU part.

Anyways the GTX 1050 and 1650 have the same decoder capability, so they're definitely not making these for HTPC's. They're likely being made for OEM's, and have to contract a minimum amount of capacity, so some ODM's likely just went "we'll take what's left" and that's where we are here. 

As I understand it the reason etherium is doing well is it’s between two points that Bitcoin passed. When it passed the second it collapsed.  Etherium may do the same causing miners to dump their cards until the next coin wave hits.

14 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's not even worth doing. If you're not making $20/hr, it's not worth doing at all. So let's assume you had at least 100 cards to make it worthwhile. So you're pulling 150w x 100 (you'd need around 17 15A circuits), and that already requires 200A service before you even count the CPU's needed. Your typical home does not have 200A service. It is possible to get 400A service in BC, but you'd have like a heated pool, hottub, or electric furnace to really justify that. Your typical breaker panel is 24 circuits on 100A. Energy in BC goes from 0.1 kwh to 0.14 after 1350kwh. 

100A service maxed out is 19200w per hour, or 460.8kw per day, or $64.51 per day to max it out.

So you know how government regulation can crush crypto? Change the regulation so that time-of-day is designed to penalize 24/7 and min-maxing usage:

a) under 1kw/day to 25kw/day (the similar to the 1350 figure above) flat 0.1 (100A service) 

b) 25kw/day to 460kw/day, time of day multiplier. 0.15 to 1.50/kwh (100A service max) to a cap of 10,000$ per 100A circuit. The utility can decide which times of day to charge residential services more (Eg 9am to 4pm) based on transmission and generation capacity. The goal here is to prevent energy waste that comes from there being nobody home.

Even if you had an EV, an EV isn't going to pull 460kw/day because it won't be home 24/7. A full charge for an EV can be between 40 and 80kWh. You'd need 5 fully used EV's to use this much.

36 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Your typical home does not have 200A service.

at least here in the US almost any house made in the last 30 years has 200A and many older homes got upgraded to it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

at least here in the US almost any house made in the last 30 years has 200A and many older homes got upgraded to it.

Depends heavily on specific location.  I wanted to upgrade to 200amp but actually couldn’t.  Gonna be a stay by state service by service legal area by legal area thing.

Random thought: what happened after the first crypto wave some years ago? Many predicted a flood of cheap GPUs on market, but at least in the UK, that never materialised. Maybe mining was never that big in the UK. On a global scale electricity here isn't the lowest, but it also isn't the highest. A profit was certainly possible then, and also is today.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible