UK Parliament discussing motion to make 'scalping' of consoles like Xbox Series X|S and PS5 illegal

https://www.windowscentral.com/uk-parliament-discussing-motion-make-scalping-consoles-xbox-series-xs-and-ps5-illegal

https://www.thegamer.com/uk-may-make-scalping-illegal-soon/

At last! Gamers rejoice!  The first step towards progress is about to happen, although console gamers caught us in our sleep seems they cared to lobby more than pc gamers 😛

But it is a first step and if it actually happens I think the door opens for PC parts as well. 

Which will corner the rest of the chain since even AIBs sell at scalping prices nowadays but now (hopefully if UK indeed will make it illegal) they won't have any excuses to do so and if they keep at it then we could probably press for them as well since there (hopefully again) will be a legal precedent 🙂

UK, I didn't expect that from you, I thought EU would make the first step, nevertheless congratulations! 🙂 ❤️ 

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Wasn't this posted awhile ago?
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was...

didn't see it 

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

OK putting on ltt search UK, scalping illegal and similar words didnt yield any relevant result and I didnt see it before crucify me 😛 

I just want to note that the second link has ben posted a month ago (and also about a month prior to the frist link) but there wasnt anybody commenting "this has already been posted"  making it an issue, and I mainly posted it while reading the second link I added in the OP which was uploaded 1 day ago (probably with new info? havent checked the links from the older topics) 

If anything it's information worth reminding  and keeping alive 

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

pc components scalping should be made illegal too or maybe all electronics for the better

Any type of scalping should be illegal everywhere. Point blank period.

I definitely remember seeing this news before lol.

The scalping of consoles and GPUs should be illegal IMO, although i'm not sure how governments would enforce pricing.

This wont go anywhere.

While its a scummy tactic, the freedom to do so is necessary for a free and open market.

Should it somehow get through, it will be a step backwards.

I hate the idea of scalping as much as any1 else, but it should be the responsibility of the selling platform to enforce their own rules, and they shoudl have rules to restrict scummy scalping practices, not the government to impose restrictions on the individuals rights to sell at a price of their choosing. Its their property after all, they can ask for as much money as they like, its up to the buyer to tell em fk off if its to high.

As for mass purchasing, thats again down to the retailer.

if anything, mass scalping and purchasing should constitute a personal / home business/ employment, along with all the regulation that entails. Enforce that and the number of scalpers will drop.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

. Its their property after all, they can ask for as much money as they like, its up to the buyer to tell em fk off if its to high.

That's not the case even in US the most capitalist pro super company country

When everybody involved in the chain does that its price manipulation/cartel practice and it is illegal same reason why milk for example costs a few cents to a buck and not 10$ despite the high demand.  https://www.globallegalinsights.com/practice-areas/cartels-laws-and-regulations/usa

I seen a lot in this forum arguments like "they are a for profit company"  "its a free market" "it is capitalism" 

But cartel practices, antitrust and profiteering are still illegal and considered unethical even in the US (and a lot more in the EU) 

*** Thread locked ***

This was already posted back in December to Tech News. You can continue discussion there, with updates if necessary.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv