Qualcomm announces its next-gen X65 5G modem, promises up to 10Gbps speeds 5 comments Along with new AI antenna tuning techniques

Lightwreather

Summary

Qualcomm has announced its latest 5G modem — the Snapdragon X65, a successor to last year’s Snapdragon X60 which just started to hit devices as part of the Snapdragon 888 chipset. Qualcomm promises that the new modem will be much, much faster, with support for up to 10Gbps speeds on both standalone and non-standalone 5G networks (assuming your carrier supports it, that is.)

Qualcomm_Snapdragon_X65_5G_Modem_RF_Syst

Quotes

Qualcomm has announced its latest 5G modem — the Snapdragon X65, a successor to last year’s Snapdragon X60 which just started to hit devices as part of the Snapdragon 888 chipset. Qualcomm promises that the new modem will be much, much faster, with support for up to 10Gbps speeds on both standalone and non-standalone 5G networks (assuming your carrier supports it, that is.)It’ll likely be some time before the X65 hits any devices; if history is any indication, it likely won’t show up until next year’s flagship Snapdragon release, which presumably will be announced in December. The new 10Gbps maximum download speed — up from 7.5Gbps on last year’s model — is the flashiest spec, even if its a largely meaningless one, as virtually no 5G network can provide that kind of throughput yet. But it means that there’s plenty of headroom in the specification for networks for whenever they can get to that point.

To that end, Qualcomm says that the architecture of the X65 modem system is upgradable, allowing the company to add new features over time, especially as 3GPP Release 16 continues to roll out, allowing devices to stay relevant and up to date for longer.

Along with the new modem system, Qualcomm is also announcing the Qualcomm 545 mmWave antenna, its 4th-generation mmWave antenna, which keeps the size the same as the third-generation model, but adds higher transmit power, along with support for the full range of global mmWave frequencies.

Lastly, Qualcomm is introducing what its calls “AI antenna tuning technology,” which it promises will enable big jumps in performance thanks to AI-powered tuning. For example, Qualcomm says that the new system is 30 percent more accurate at detecting how you’re gripping the phone in your hand, allowing it to offer improved connectivity, faster data speeds, and better battery life by utilizing a more efficient connection.

The Snapdragon X65 is expected to launch in products in late 2021.

My thoughts

Well, this interesting. Hopefully this isn't as power hungry as its predecessors and It will be sometime untill we see these in devices (apparently later this year) but those AI features will certainly be something to look forward to.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/9/22274127/qualcomm-x65-5g-modem-10gbps-speeds-ai-tuning-software-updates 

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

What is with companies and "X" things?
5600CPU.

X17 mouse.

X65 modem.

X99 chipset.

3D Xpoint.

Has the Intel way of X = better leaked out into the world?

elephants

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

5600CPU.

X17 mouse.

X65 modem.

X99 chipset.

3D Xpoint.

Qualcomm's modems have used the X naming scheme for many years.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Qualcomm's modems have used the X naming scheme for many years.

I never said they did.

I just pointed out that there's a lot of tech products with X's.

elephants

Just now, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Reason why Windows XP is/was the best operating system.

Titan Xp...

RTX

I see how it is.

elephants

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Titan Xp...

RTX

I see how it is.

Don't forget XXX:

Spoiler

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295701/

What? There is nothing NSFW, so what's wrong with you?!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

5600CPU.

X17 mouse.

X65 modem.

X99 chipset.

3D Xpoint.

Car Model Names

https://xkcd.com/1571/

That's all awesome but yeah in real usage most are still under tenth of it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |