does changing my IP change my ping

saba17

so if i change my IP with VPN to USA(i live in europe) can it  slow down my internet speed.

In most instances, yes. You will see an increase in latency.
The short explanation is that your information is making additional "stops" (also called hops) through whatever location you're routing your traffic through.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

The IP as such isn't the important part. Ping mainly depends on how much cable and how many other servers/routers ("hops") a package has to go trough before reaching you (essentially the physical distance between you and the server).

Using a VPN adds at least one additional hop a package has to take between the originating server and your computer. The encryption/decryption of a VPN also adds some latency.

Transfer speed is a different matter. This mainly depends on your bandwidth and the bandwidth of the server sending data. A VPN can further reduce this, depending on how many customers they have since their overall bandwidth is shared between all of them.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

The fact you are in Europe and going via USA will more than likely add at least 100ms to your latency for the reasons above.

On the other hand using a European VPN can on some occasions reduce your latency, if the route to the VPN is optimal and it then has better routes to your destination than your ISP does.  This is what gaming VPNs attempt to do.

As a general rule though if your ISP is working correctly, ANY VPN will increase your latency and decrease your speed, as you are adding extra distance and overhead to your data.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7