Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So i reacently built a new pc which the specs are as follows.

Gt 1030 gddr5

Ryzen 5 3600

16gb ddr4 ram

600 Watt power supply

I know that the i could get a better gpu with more power. But these be quitting days because of a certain virus but i was wondering. What kind of porformance would i get if i installed ubuntu 20.04 on my build would be worth it. I plan on using it for gaming mostly games like halo mcc, doom, and fallout 4 thanks for your help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a general rule, gaming performance is worse on Linux than on Windows and a lot of games straight up won't run at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites

well those games that you listed will run but because the way wine and dxvk and vkd3d work there always be a performance panelty it can be noticable in games like dark souls 3 but in most cases its below 5%

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved to the Linux subforum.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would i get extra proformance using a linux distro that is lighter or would that still not help?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vellarexas said:

Would i get extra proformance using a linux distro that is lighter or would that still not help?

well yes you will but as i said if you are very lucky it matches windows 

but there are games that perform better in linux 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vellarexas said:

Would i get extra proformance using a linux distro that is lighter or would that still not help?

OS weight isn't the issue, instruction translation is. DirectX only games have to be fed through a translator to turn them into something Linux can understand, this comes at a performance cost.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Master Disaster said:

OS weight isn't the issue, instruction translation is. DirectX only games have to be fed through a translator to turn them into something Linux can understand, this comes at a performance cost.

well directx is not the only thing

even native vulkan games like doom and doom eternal and RDR 2 & ... have performance loss

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

OS weight isn't the issue, instruction translation is. DirectX only games have to be fed through a translator to turn them into something Linux can understand, this comes at a performance cost.

So then would different games that support stuff like opengl and vulkan i would i get better fps in or would it atill be an issue

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well directx is not the only thing

even native vulkan games like doom and doom eternal and RDR 2 & ... have performance loss

So i should stick with window 10 or would it matter

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vellarexas said:

So i should stick with window 10 or would it matter

well as i said performance loss is not much around 5%

and the fact than most things linux are easier than they used to be even a few month ago i'd say it depends on you

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well as i said performance loss is not much around 5%

and the fact than most things linux are easier than they used to be even a few month ago i'd say it depends on you

Would overclocking the gpu help or would it even make an impact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vellarexas said:

Would overclocking the gpu help or would it even make an impact.

yes it will help

but a gpu like gt1030 isnt upto much anyway and overclocking it wont yield a large improvement regardless of os  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

yes it will help

but a gpu like gt1030 isnt upto much anyway and overclocking it wont yield a large improvement regardless of os  

That is not entirely true i have read a post that the person claims with the right cooling you can get gtx 1050 lp prformance in a gt 1030 but i wouldn't know if it would be worth it in the end it would probably just make the gpu die faster this is the reddit post that claims it https://amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproject.org/wp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/a8s33j/gt_1030_extreme_over_clocking_1050_performance/?usqp=mq331AQSKAFQApgBm-zkwsfm_dcvsAEg but thank you for your input on my discussion very helpful thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

OS weight isn't the issue, instruction translation is. DirectX only games have to be fed through a translator to turn them into something Linux can understand, this comes at a performance cost.

I wonder if it would be possible to use ASIC hardware to do that at minimal performance loss, then use a very lightweight Linux distro to end up with better performance. Of course it's not really applicable to OP's case, but I'd imagine enthusiasts with already top-end hardware might be interested in squeezing some more performance out of their machines.

That's an F in the profile pic

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vellarexas said:

So i reacently built a new pc which the specs are as follows.

Gt 1030 gddr5

Ryzen 5 3600

16gb ddr4 ram

600 Watt power supply

I know that the i could get a better gpu with more power. But these be quitting days because of a certain virus but i was wondering. What kind of porformance would i get if i installed ubuntu 20.04 on my build would be worth it. I plan on using it for gaming mostly games like halo mcc, doom, and fallout 4 thanks for your help.

if you want more fps maybe try to debloat Windows

Hi

 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 10:15 AM, mahyar said:

well directx is not the only thing

even native vulkan games like doom and doom eternal and RDR 2 & ... have performance loss

Your point is right in principle, but none of the examples you've given are native Linux games.

 

They are using Vulkan but they are using the Windows implementation of it. Which means they still need to run trough Wine implementation of the Windows API (Windos Vulkan -> Linux Vulkan will include it's own computation costs, which might not be at all faster than, say, dxvk).

 

Games which have a real Native Linux port run very well (X-COM series, Tomb Raider series for example).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

Your point is right in principle, but none of the examples you've given are native Linux games.

 

They are using Vulkan but they are using the Windows implementation of it. Which means they still need to run trough Wine implementation of the Windows API (Windos Vulkan -> Linux Vulkan will include it's own computation costs, which might not be at all faster than, say, dxvk).

 

Games which have a real Native Linux port run very well (X-COM series, Tomb Raider series for example).

well those games because the way they are ported also have a performance penalty although small its there  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 1:03 PM, Wild Penquin said:

Games which have a real Native Linux port run very well (X-COM series, Tomb Raider series for example).

They do, but I think the Linux Nvidia drivers leave quite some room for improvement. 

On my home system (i7/16gig /GTX1660super) there is a difference between Ubuntu 20.10 and Win10, both in Unigine Benchmarks and in games (Tomb Raider).  

Link to post
Share on other sites

People use Linux for various reasons, but improving their gaming performance is not one of them. The only scenario when I can see an uplift in gaming performance from Linux usage is 1) your games are Linux-native, and 2) your PC is so weak that Windows itself eats a significant chuck of performance because it is so bloated these days. None of the two conditions are true in your case. Plus, a lot of people have problems with NVidia proprietary drivers which may not play well with the rest of the system (hence a famous Linus Torvalds rant).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, el_murdoque said:

They do, but I think the Linux Nvidia drivers leave quite some room for improvement. 

This is true, which is why I prefer amd GPUs. Not only did the NVidia Linux drivers have a bit less-than-Window performance, their overall quality and stability is worse (also, no support whatsoever from NVidia; but for AMGPU drivers: if you know how to gather information from crashes, logs etc. - even better if you can run a debugger - it is actually possible to get help and bugs fixed with amdgpu by posting useful bug reports in trackers).

 

As for OPs question: indeed Linux is not any magic wand, it does not make your PC magically perform better. In some corner cases it may be possible to do thing X on a setup, with H/W which can barely manage it, on Linux, while it is not possible on Windows. Gaming is not one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×