Getting ethernet to the other side of my house

Imagine-Wagons

Hey

so recently we’ve decided to build another small house on our property the only thing is i’m wondering what the best way would be to get wifi/ethernet from one side of my property to the other through my garden? It’s a distance of 30-40 meters from the router to where we need to go

Run an Ethernet cable. Add switches/APs where necessary.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Get an Access Point run wire from the router to the access point.

Or you can buy another router and run it in access point mode.

Ideally you want an access point in every 10m on each floor.

Since you building a house it's better you laid a lan socket on each room, since copper still better than air.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Is laying a physical cable a possibility? If you could do that you could just put a switch in the new building and add APs as needed depending on your existing network setup. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Considering that connection will be there for a fair while, you may want to consider using fibre-optic cable instead. This allows for an easy upgrade path in the future, just swap the SFP modules at the ends with SFP+ or QSFP for an increase in speed from 1 Gbit/s to 10 or even 100Gbit/s. Of course, the rest of your network should support it too, but that's a matter of timely investment (paying money at the right time, when the tech is mainstream, so fairly cheap). A 100Gbit switch is now some 10k in US currency, in 10 years probably 250-ish. We'll see. 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

7 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Considering that connection will be there for a fair while, you may want to consider using fibre-optic cable instead.

And the same can’t be achieved for less expense using CAT6A buried in a conduit? IIRC, fiber doesn’t like to be bent much. Then there’s the added cost of transcievers.

You will want to use fiber here, you want to avoid ground loops caused by bridging two buildings eletrically with copper cabling.

Conduit, run of fibre, cheap media converters or switches on each end with some SFPs from fs.com and you're done.

Wether you use fibre or copper, do multiple runs.

For 30 meters, i'd probably just send a bunch of copper over.

The main issue with fibre is typical home-gamers tend to have to buy pre-terminated fibre leads, and dragging the big bulky end connector thru a conduit is prime for damaging the fibre. A commercial installer would pull a bundle of unterminated fibre and then make it off into a patch panel.

Just run a copper ethernet, cat6 can go 100 meters.

Fibre is overkill, way too fragile. It's glass. Glass breaks. In fact, watching Linus run that glass in his office made me cringe, not only was he forcing it into those small cracks he was bending it way too much. Gotta keep a minimum radius at all times. Can't run it around a corner like he did.

Oh, and when you run the cable in the conduit, run an extra string and leave it there so you can pull something else if you need.