Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaming on STARLINK!!

ColinLTT

The next generation of satellite internet is here... but is it any good... and how does it work, exactly? But most importantly, can you pwn noobs from space with it?

Check out https://www.starlink.com/ and see if you can get on the beta program!

A huge thank-you goes out to Ken Keiter for letting us use his footage - check out his video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOmdQnIlnRo

Another thanks to LEOLabs.space for the orbital visualization, which you can check out here: https://platform.leolabs.space/visualization

26 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Wonder who was the first to look at p0rn on starlink? 🧐

Elon.  Gotta make sure your product works. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I don't think current speeds are anything to go by. They will improve the technology, but it might still choke on the sheer amount of users in the future.

27ms is slow? Living in Germany and my wired internet has 20ms ping according to speedtest net. Is that bad speed? What ping speeds do people with good internet get? 100 mbits down, 30 up, it's not even horrible internet or anything.

8 minutes ago, iLikeBananas said:

What ping speeds do people with good internet get?

~40 ms with wired gigabit connection.

Idk what's wrong with my internet lol

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Thats really weird how linus insisted 27ms is slow. for Fiber sure, but thats average for regular cable internet and over 10x faster than other satellite internet. any ping below 50 is great

1 hour ago, iLikeBananas said:

27ms is slow? Living in Germany and my wired internet has 20ms ping according to speedtest net. Is that bad speed? What ping speeds do people with good internet get? 100 mbits down, 30 up, it's not even horrible internet or anything.

on AT&T fiber and hardwired to nearby data centers (less than 50 miles) i get around 8-13ms

I was getting mid 30s from my adsl in the same location a few years back. 27 is fine.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review      Buy my old RX 580

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

11ms here 🤪

and I'm using Comcast...

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

2 hours ago, Velcade said:

Elon.  Gotta make sure your product works. 

And you know he was jerkin' it to Ferrari V12 engine sounds...

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

feel that you're using the wrong metric. Jitter measures latency fluctuations and would probably show a completely different picture.

Thats what i was expecting him to talk about, that average latency is good, but the range is bad, which is why loading the thumbnails loaded at different speeds.

4 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

30-35ms with my shitty rural adsl2+ (7mbps down 0.5mbps up)

i cant wait for starlink

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

1. Many people here are posting their latency but its dependent on the location of the endpoint and distance to it. 30ms on average for sites or gaming is not bad, 30ms to your ISPs gateway, then its on the higher side. But it varies based on where you are connecting to.

2. DSL (ADSL/VDSL) actually has lower latency then fiber. Signal propagates faster through copper then it does fiber and ATM cells lacking inter-frame gaps means less latency. This of course is minimal, especially in the real world. The problem is since copper is trash, means DSL and COAX to an extent require interleaving which introduces a latency to account for RS and FEC corrections. The worse the SNR, the higher interleaving window and hence more latency.

If you have DSL, if you can talk your ISP into switching from interleaved to fast you can drop your latency down to fiber levels but at the cost if you have a bad copper line you will experience some packet loss.

ex-DSL engineer and I will never go back

I'm going to take starlink seriously, does anyone know if the dropouts are common?  I'd gladly swap latency for raw speed and no data cap.  Plus Comcast has pissed me off more times than I can count so I kind of hate them as a company.  But it looks like comcast is starting to remove term agreements.

If I could get 1gbps at 30ms no data cap vs 150mbps at 10ms 1.2tb data cap........ I'd gladly make the switch.  Just looks like starlink is in it's infancy now though so not entirely convinced to jump on board.

Cans                                          Amps                                                               Speakers                                      Mic

Sennheiser 6xx                          Topping DX7 (dac/amp) (class D balanced)     Micca RB42                                  Antlion ModMic Uni

Beyerdynamic DT880-600         Emotiva A-100 (class A)                                                                                         Vmoda Boom Pro

Phillips Fidelio X3                      Nobsound Little Bear P7 (pure tube)                 Accessories                                Neego boom mic

Harmonicdyne Zeus                   Little dot MKII (pure tube)                                  Dekoni, Brainwavz and ZMF pads

Fostex T50RP                            Darkvoice 336SE (pure tube)                            Hart and Periapt cables

HiFi-man HE400i (2017)            Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)                Yoga Blocks (headphone stands)

Blue Microphones Lola               Xduoo MT-602 (class A hybrid tube)

Koss KPH30iCL                          Schiit Fulla (class D dac/amp)                          Headset

AKG K-361-BT                                                                                                      Turtle Beach Stealth 700 v2 + adapter

Phillips shp9500

AKG K240 studio

12 hours ago, iLikeBananas said:

also Germany here my ping is usually below 10ms with a gigabit down and 50mbit/s up 

27ms is not really that slow but the problem is with wireless internet that its usually not very consistent so it may be that one of the thumbnails loads with 27ms latency and the next one takes 40 so it all adds up in the end to seem slow.

Also this 7ms difference is nearly 30% less latency so its a huge difference overall even if the number doesnt seem to different.

it sucks thought to be 1000mbps or better lmao lol elon musk socks

1 hour ago, FellToast said:

it sucks thought to be 1000mbps or better lmao lol elon musk socks

Why would you create an account to make a hate post? 🤣 Troll

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Phased array antennas are actually common for 60GHz WiGig gear. Of course, at those frequencies, they can be much smaller and more integrated than the monstrosity on Starlink CPE.

• 1 month later...

Soooo....I got my Starlink set up about a week ago and here are my observations.

Speeds range from 30-230mbps down, and 15-20mpbs up, according to Speedtest. Ping has been 25-30ms with a jitter of 10-20ms. These number would make you think it would be fine for gaming....however....The connection occasionally drops out completely, I'm assuming in the hand off between satellites as they go overhead, causing you to drop a game. 

I tried playing Apex Legends for a few hours when I first got set up. It would play a few matches just fine, then drop out without warning. If I was lucky, it would reconnect in time for me to rejoin without being killed, but this was not normally the case.

If you're playing casually, and not easily frustrated, I'd say this is a viable gaming option. But if you're even the slightest bit competitive, I would avoid it. That being said, most of us are choosing Starlink because we have no other option. It is MILES ahead of viasat or hughesnet, but lets be honest, that's not saying much.

20 hours ago, FAHEYGF87 said:

Soooo....I got my Starlink set up about a week ago and here are my observations.

Speeds range from 30-230mbps down, and 15-20mpbs up, according to Speedtest. Ping has been 25-30ms with a jitter of 10-20ms. These number would make you think it would be fine for gaming....however....The connection occasionally drops out completely, I'm assuming in the hand off between satellites as they go overhead, causing you to drop a game. 

I tried playing Apex Legends for a few hours when I first got set up. It would play a few matches just fine, then drop out without warning. If I was lucky, it would reconnect in time for me to rejoin without being killed, but this was not normally the case.

If you're playing casually, and not easily frustrated, I'd say this is a viable gaming option. But if you're even the slightest bit competitive, I would avoid it. That being said, most of us are choosing Starlink because we have no other option. It is MILES ahead of viasat or hughesnet, but lets be honest, that's not saying much.

I think that's a pretty reasonable take on Starlink so far. The better-than-nothing Beta is well, that exactly. 

As for the network drops, I would fully expect this to get MUCH better with time - because the dish doesn't have to physically move to track the next satellite the switchover should be nearly instantaneous, but not instant. There's also a lot that the game devs could do on their end to make your connection more reliable - such as allowing a longer ping delay for anyone connecting from a Starlink IP range, there are many ways to address the issue. Either way I'm sure you're just happy to be able to game at all! 

1 hour ago, ColinLTT said:

I think that's a pretty reasonable take on Starlink so far. The better-than-nothing Beta is well, that exactly. 

As for the network drops, I would fully expect this to get MUCH better with time - because the dish doesn't have to physically move to track the next satellite the switchover should be nearly instantaneous, but not instant. There's also a lot that the game devs could do on their end to make your connection more reliable - such as allowing a longer ping delay for anyone connecting from a Starlink IP range, there are many ways to address the issue. Either way I'm sure you're just happy to be able to game at all! 

Exactly. 

I'm pretty happy so far, and with the number of satellites they plan to launch, things should only get better.