Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Aunt walks into a computer store, how would you want her advertised to?

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
2 hours ago, HeyKitty said:

Alrighty, I think I may go with something like a:

Looks good just watch out for formatting:

- Choose either full capitalization or not, in europe usually you do not (e.g. Operating system, USB ports, Screen size), so whichever you choose, be consistent as you have a mix at the moment

- Summery --> Summary

- The second column should be left aligned, and then the field should be left aligned, but in a different cell so that they are all aligned together. Right alignment is usually reserved for numbers

- I think the Y-axis lines in the graph are distracting and you should go for a white background

- Personally, I think the summary is more important than the specs (as you are a brick and mortar shop), so Have the summary on top

- I wouldn't graph "condition" as it is a more qualitative metric than a quantitative one.

- Less is more, I wouldn't graph RAM and let the RAM component be part of the processor score聽

All in all, its a good idea, you just have to put the effort in keeping it consistent and relevant. for example, when a new model comes in and blows everything out of the water, you will need to re-scale all the labels, otherwise it doesn't make sense anymore. And while the scale can be arbitrary, the scoring should not be arbitrary, you shouldn't just randomly score a certain CPU because you think its good or not, get proper numbers, otherwise down the road it will not match up between products.

22 hours ago, HeyKitty said:

I do price it higher, and then spend 10 minutes with every customer explaining the same thing... Just looking to save my time over the long haul.

Yeah you wont be able to avoid that ive found.
Even if you have all the info simple as can be, they will still ask can it do this or that specific thing.
If people didnt need that hand holding advice they wouldve let someone order it online. 馃槈

Yes you can make it a hall of a lot easier with some graphics and such, but they will still ask questions. Always. 馃槃

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Ideally I would not want anything without an SSD in it to even be on the shelves.... short of that, the only way to get someone who has no idea what any of this means to make an informed decision is to let them try it.

Some graphical indicator of performance may be helpful but with no performance reference one can't know whether聽

#############

is worth the price for them over

####

so a lot of them would just end up overspending or being unsatisfied anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work?Asus PB287Q unboxing!Console alternatives :DWatch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Obviously cheap price, discount in huge聽text, old people have poor vision, I wouldn't聽expect them to read into details if they already came to physical store, they are more likely to ask questions about device they were looking for.聽You don't expect them to game on these neither... No need to install聽huge SSD in each computer, just enough to be used聽as聽boot drive.

You can have higher end devices with more details, those will probably be bought as gift for kids...

14 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

See, what Walmart does is good better best, but be honest, if it鈥檚 a core 2 duo with 1gb ram, c2d might maybe be average likely slightly below average, 1gb of ram is below average, stuff聽like that

Walmart is doing what Radio Shack did more than 40 years ago...

Take a look at this: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1969_radioshack_catalog.html

MOTF is always Up or Down, just like the Elevator Business

1 hour ago, HeyKitty said:

You wouldnt have saved this document?聽 This is pretty much perfect I believe 馃檪

Sorry I didn't 馃槥

But you would have needed to work on a formula for scaling and the color scheme anyway, so I think its better you run with the idea but build it ground up 馃槢

image.png.6674cb0573a40370eb177d7d45771b24.png

And then do like 4 charts for "typical" user types and frame it. so people can see "internet & office user" would want something like - and then a bar graph, along with light gaming, heavy gaming, ect.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

2 hours ago, HeyKitty said:

Looks good just watch out for formatting:

- Choose either full capitalization or not, in europe usually you do not (e.g. Operating system, USB ports, Screen size), so whichever you choose, be consistent as you have a mix at the moment

- Summery --> Summary

- The second column should be left aligned, and then the field should be left aligned, but in a different cell so that they are all aligned together. Right alignment is usually reserved for numbers

- I think the Y-axis lines in the graph are distracting and you should go for a white background

- Personally, I think the summary is more important than the specs (as you are a brick and mortar shop), so Have the summary on top

- I wouldn't graph "condition" as it is a more qualitative metric than a quantitative one.

- Less is more, I wouldn't graph RAM and let the RAM component be part of the processor score聽

All in all, its a good idea, you just have to put the effort in keeping it consistent and relevant. for example, when a new model comes in and blows everything out of the water, you will need to re-scale all the labels, otherwise it doesn't make sense anymore. And while the scale can be arbitrary, the scoring should not be arbitrary, you shouldn't just randomly score a certain CPU because you think its good or not, get proper numbers, otherwise down the road it will not match up between products.

Kinda but not really serious:

dont sell systems with hdds

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Kinda but not really serious:

dont sell systems with hdds

Yeah, Ill tell my customers that are on a tight budget and can't afford the extra $30 on a $75聽refurb laptop that they can't buy a computer. /s

Seriously, not everyone is loaded with cash for a computer for their kid to do remote learning (as they are in my area)聽 I have plenty of $500 laptops all with SSDs, but some of these I'm just breaking even on to help some people in rough times.聽 Bad business model, but it's my business model.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

3 hours ago, HeyKitty said:

image.png.6674cb0573a40370eb177d7d45771b24.png

And then do like 4 charts for "typical" user types and frame it. so people can see "internet & office user" would want something like - and then a bar graph, along with light gaming, heavy gaming, ect.

I worked in a brick and mortar computer store for years(and both my parents are computer illiterate despite having a pc and a smartphone 馃槢 I know how people like that think)聽, you specifically mentioned that your clientele mainly consists of elderly and/or "auntlike" type of people.聽

My advice is to not use such things in your product description it only will end up in you losing potential customers.聽

They gonna see all that stuff and see the price and the only thing they gonna do is find excuses to ask for a lower price or leave it for "another day".聽聽

E.g

-"Wow that is a eye fiver heh? that's some professional stuff聽I want something simple"聽

- "You are right sir,聽it is an Intel core i5 and it is a special offer for this particular unit you wont find any other computer with the same specs selling聽at such a low price which is within your aforementioned budget sir, trust me you will appreciate the extra horse power and at half the price it is essentially a steal we refurbished that system inhouse and along with the dirt cheap price we will provide free support and a 1 year warranty " <--- I Wouldnt speak exactly like that to a client but I tried to condense the main points of a 5 minute dialogue to fill you in my hypothetical scenario聽

-" I dont know,聽it seems out of my range (the price of the PC is well within the聽 budget that he specified聽 a few minutes ago), let me think about it, I have to do some groceries and I'll catch up with you later"聽

Never bought it or anything else.聽

This kind of target group gets intimidated by details and becomes reluctant they dont actually want a computer they prefer the old times but for some reason or an other something made them 聽to think that they should finally get one 聽(or gift it to their聽child, grandchild etc) but they are not strong on that thought.

What you need is keep it as simple as 聽they imagine the deal to proceed聽it in their own head before visiting you.聽

Put a price, and give some reassurance and some broad categorization.聽

The customer that actually is going to leave cash on your counter (who belongs to said target group) needs only to know that, and if he feels that he would like to know a little bit more about the computer he will ask on his own (more than half of the time while you essentially closed the deal so just as a closer to your conversation)聽

If you introduce these stats and graphics you will mostly get curious people, hagglers that dont want to buy and people that look at the labels and say to themselves " I dont know what any of this means maybe I shouldn't buy a computer on my own I will come back again with my nephew"聽 and the nephew is going to build a PC for her by ordering parts online.聽

Dont get me wrong the labels are cool and informative but not ideal for the specific target group.聽

the best thing you can do is try to explain things in the simplest way possible. dont use terms like cpu, gpu, ssd, hdd, rma, ram, or OS. if they ask what a hard drive is then tell them it is the part of the computer that keeps all of their stuff. if they ask how to use a certain program, show thm the simplest and fastest way to do what they need to do.