RTX 3080 GDDR6X temp concerns

Stahlmann
Go to solution Solved by DalekDoc,
On 4/12/2021 at 2:37 AM, Stahlmann said:

I did take my card apart and reassembled it one more time. But in my stupidity i forgot to make more pictures of the thermal pads. They were contacting the memory, but there was no real "dent" in the pads, so there was no real pressure. That at least explains why my VRAM was "just" hot and not overheating to the point of throttling. Reassembling my card didn't fix this issue. VRAM temps still sit at 95-100°C when playing demanding games at 4K.

They did ask for more pictures of my problem. But i haven't had time to pull apart my loop/GPU again since then. So the conversation with alphacool didn't really come to any conclusion yet. As i don't play any demanding game atm it's not really a priority for me at the time.

Did you contact them about this?

No, I never contacted them but noticed high memory temps. Initially I thought it was just the wrong backplate thermal pads (mine was initial batch where they sent all 2mm thermal pads, they've now updated it to send 3mm pads for 3080 on backplate vram area and 2mm for 3090) but was still having memory temps of 94-98c in nice hash.

Today I took the block apart and noted the thermal pads on the vram (on gpu chip side) were making contact but not a very strong impression. I replaced the stock 1mm pads with 1.5, did a test fit and noticed the thermal paste wasn't spreading too well so was worried the chip wasn't making contact with the coldplate. I just pressed down really firmly on the pads to thin them out a bit and then cranked the screws very tight (tighter than I should have probably). Noticed a very slight bow in the pcb with this but after getting my loop put all together, my gpu core temp is now 3-4c higher (likely the memory heat sinking into the coldplate properly) but memory temps are 30-35c cooler!

IMO this needs like 1.2-1.3mm thermal pads but no one makes those but the 1mm is clearly not enough.

Hey there,

after the last HWinfo update i checked my G6X temps and was surprised to see it sitting at 92-94°C while gaming. I was especially surprised because i use a full-cover waterblock from alphacool and a custom loop with 2x 360mm rads. Should be plenty of cooling power for a 3080 and a 5600X. I've seen posts from people with air cooled cards where the VRAM is sitting at 60-70°C while gaming. I know that i used the proper thickness thermal pads as the mounting manual for the waterblock was very precise for which thermal pads to use for every part.

My G6X is not throttling so i get the full performance out of my GPU but i have concerns about long-term effects of running it so hot.

Any opinions?

Full specs, system temps, etc. in my signature.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

This is still ~15C cooler than stock cards. But I agree it's too hot. I don't know if it just run this hot or issue with the design of the card.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

This is still ~15C cooler than stock cards. But I agree it's too hot. I don't know if it just run this hot or issue with the design of the card.

The main thing i don't get is why my water cooled G6X reaches 94°C and air cooled cards like the 3080 TUF sit more at 60-70°C...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

The main thing i don't get is why my water cooled G6X reaches 94°C and air cooled cards like the 3080 TUF sit more at 60-70°C...

Yeah thats pretty weird I agree. May not get full contact or something?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

My TUF 3080 has 85-90°C durning gaming, also these cards have memory modules also on back side of pcb wich is only air cooled even with waterblock on gpu die side. EK should release full cover active cooling with backside active too

6 minutes ago, OsirisII said:

My TUF 3080 has 85-90°C durning gaming, also these cards have memory modules also on back side of pcb wich is only air cooled even with waterblock on gpu die side. EK should release full cover active cooling with backside active too

Thanks for the info on your temps with a TUF model. But only the 3090 has memory on the back side. The 3080 has the memory chips on the GPU side.

Hi,

I myself am waiting on an Alphacool 3080 waterblock and gathering info on the web. I came across this reddit post where memory thermal pad contact seems to be an issue...

2 minutes ago, Tamuhelet said:

Hi,

I myself am waiting on an Alphacool 3080 waterblock and gathering info on the web. I came across this reddit post where memory thermal pad contact seems to be an issue...

Good to know there is already someone who noticed that. I'll disassemble my loop later this month when going from soft to hard tubing. Then i will take my GPU apart and see if i have the same problem. If yes, i will definetly contact alphacool about this.

If you install your block i'd appreciate if you could disassemble it once it was installed and check if you have the same issue. It would also be nice if you can tell me about your G6X temps when you have everything up and running.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stahlmann,

How is your issue going ? What is your 3080 model ?

I installed the Alphacool 3080 block and see good results compared to the previous Bykski block.

My 3080 is an Aorus Master, GPU temp is 4-5° less, the GPU hotspot 4° less, and a huge 16° less on the Memory Junction temp thanks to the Gelid Ultimate thermal pads I put on the GDDR6X. Now at max TDP wattage GPU max is 50° instead of 55°, Hotpsot 58° instead of 62°, Memory Junction 54° instead of 70°, with 24° ambient, and low 3300 RMP set on a D5.

I had lot of troubles with the Bykski block and had to try this Alphacool one.

11 minutes ago, Tamuhelet said:

Hi Stahlmann,

How is your issue going ? What is your 3080 model ?

I installed the Alphacool 3080 block and see good results compared to the previous Bykski block.

My 3080 is an Aorus Master, GPU temp is 4-5° less, the GPU hotspot 4° less, and a huge 16° less on the Memory Junction temp thanks to the Gelid Ultimate thermal pads I put on the GDDR6X. Now GPU max is 50° instead of 55°, Hotpsot 58° instead of 62°, Memory Junction 54° instead of 70°, with 24° ambient, and low 3300 RMP set on a D5.

I had lot of troubles with the Bykski block and had to try this Alphacool one.

I have the PNY 3080 XLR8 (reference board) and the reference block form Alphacool.

My PC is currently disassembled due to changing some stuff about my loop. While doing that i disassembled the GPU to see how it contacts. The VRAM thermal pads did contact the coldplate and ram modules, but with considerably less pressure than other components like VRM, etc. There were only very slight imprints in the thermal pads. It could also be that my first mount was bad, but i doubt it tbh. I'll reassemble my PC in a few hours when i'm home and retest the temps. Maybe this waterblock is not good for VRAM with lower flow-rate pumps. I have a DDC running at fixed 1600 RPM because i want absolute silence. Maybe i'll also try to increase the pump speed and see if it changes anything... I'll get back to you about that.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, Tamuhelet said:

-SNIP-

So after reassembling my PC yesterday my temps got even worse somehow. While gaming the G6X is sitting at a toasty 100°C, which is WAY too hot for a full cover waterblock... Idk what to do. Already in contact with alphacool about it. I've sent them pictures of the thermal pads etc. I'll wait and see how they will respond.

Are there any AIB stock 3080s that have good or decent vram cooling?

just wondering what cards to avoid and which to get if i want to oeave things as is. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

2 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

just wondering what cards to avoid and which to get if i want to oeave things as is. 

Have a look at the reviews from Harware Unboxed. They test GPU, VRAM, VRM temps with every graphics card they can get their hands on. They already tested several reference cards aswell. Just go to their Youtube channel and type "3080 review" into the search bar.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Have a look at the reviews from Harware Unboxed. They test GPU, VRAM, VRM temps with every graphics card they can get their hands on. They already tested several reference cards aswell. Just go to their Youtube channel and type "3080 review" into the search bar.

Thanks. I like their reviews but never noticed vram temps. 
ill have a look. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

1 hour ago, maizenblue said:

According to hwinfo64 my memory junction temp is between 80-85c and GPU temp is between 60-68c while gaming.

I actually downloaded the beta hwinfo64 to see hotpsot temps  as well for CP2077 1440p/ultra/psycho rtx/quality dlss575126372_gpuhotspot.png.04697c17ba90ed480319098bed089578.png

110% power limit, +75 core, +200memory

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

According to hwinfo64 my memory junction temp is between 80-85c and GPU temp is between 60-68c while gaming.

Unfortunately asus increased their msrp for the 3080s by 200 dollars overnight, so im probably ruling them out. 

Evga are the vram temps im most interested in. 

7 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

Unfortunately asus increased their msrp for the 3080s by 200 dollars overnight, so im probably ruling them out. 

Evga are the vram temps im most interested in. 

that sucks. I got mine at MSRP in December.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

that sucks. I got mine at MSRP in December.

December it was like 769. Then in jan went up to 869. Then the other day it went up to 1050 which is too rich for my blood. 

4 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

December it was like 769. Then in jan went up to 869. Then the other day it went up to 1050 which is too rich for my blood. 

I got $749 for the OC version

9 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

9 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Lol, where do you see them for $1050? All RTX 3000 cards are at least 600€ over MSRP here in Germany. The cheapest RTX 3000 card that is currently in stock is a 3060Ti for 1030€. And that's the official retailer pricing, not even a scalper.

At lest we have plenty of Zen3 stock and for decent prices 😅

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Lol, where do you see them for $1050? All RTX 3000 cards are at least 600€ over MSRP here in Germany. The cheapest RTX 3000 card that is currently in stock is a 3060Ti for 1030€. And that's the official retailer pricing, not even a scalper.

At lest we have plenty of Zen3 stock and for decent prices 😅

Well even at $1050 u cant actually find any in stock. Thats just the msrp. 

On 3/3/2021 at 7:58 PM, Mister Woof said:

The Asus Tuf 3070 is now like 30 dollars more then that. I just managed to score an EVGA FTW Ultra 3070 for 680. Which is about as good a price as you can get now for a quality 3070. I'm actually relieved because EVGA is probably gonna do another price hike soon to catch up with the others, and the FTW ultra is probably the best 3070 you can score looking at reviews. I'd also rather deal with EVGA over Asus or anyone else if something isnt right. 

4 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

The Asus Tuf 3070 is now like 30 dollars more then that. I just managed to score an EVGA FTW Ultra 3070 for 680. Which is about as good a price as you can get now for a quality 3070. I'm actually relieved because EVGA is probably gonna do another price hike soon to catch up with the others, and the FTW ultra is probably the best 3070 you can score looking at reviews. I'd also rather deal with EVGA over Asus or anyone else if something isnt right. 

This GPU draught really, really, sucks.

I'm still patiently waiting for my EVGA E-Notify for other cards. At this point it's getting cards for my friends who haven't been able to get them.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 7:05 AM, Stahlmann said:

So after reassembling my PC yesterday my temps got even worse somehow. While gaming the G6X is sitting at a toasty 100°C, which is WAY too hot for a full cover waterblock... Idk what to do. Already in contact with alphacool about it. I've sent them pictures of the thermal pads etc. I'll wait and see how they will respond.

Did Alphacool ever get back to you and was your vram temp issue resolved. I'm having similar issues with my Zotac 3080 + alphacool block..

Time to update that event with stock settings my 3080 memory is getting hotter with the coming of spring.

Easily seeing 90-92 when gaming now.

Although my front airflow is different as now there's a 360 rad.