Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Does it fit?

DannyBoii
Go to solution Solved by lgcas,
2 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

How do I determine that before a purchase?

Look at the height of your ram and the width of the cooler (and the fan height if you can move it, but afaik the 212 is a set position). I'l normally check these and maybe read some reviews; however, the 212 is a pretty thin cooler so you should be fine. For example:

9e40-hyper-212-rgb-be-installed-1.jpg

I'm trying to fit

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler, SF120R RGB Fan, 4 CD 2.0 Heatpipes

on GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE LGA 1200 Intel Z490

I found the dimension of the heatsink, but not any dimensions of the motherboard that were helpful. Is that something I'll need to measure physically? How do I find dimensions before I purchase?

Any information is helpful, thanks.

The heatsink should fit on the board as long as it supports the socket. You should, however, consider RAM clearance between the cooler and the RAM modules.

finally escaped fm2+

2 minutes ago, lgcas said:

The heatsink should fit on the board as long as it supports the socket. You should, however, consider RAM clearance between the cooler and the RAM modules.

2 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

Look at the height of your ram and the width of the cooler (and the fan height if you can move it, but afaik the 212 is a set position). I'l normally check these and maybe read some reviews; however, the 212 is a pretty thin cooler so you should be fine. For example:

finally escaped fm2+

10 minutes ago, lgcas said:

I'm looking at the ram I planned on getting but even their manufacturer's website doesn't tell you the dimensions of the ram. Any tips on finding this?

Just now, DannyBoii said:

I'm looking at the ram I planned on getting but even their manufacturer's website doesn't tell you the dimensions of the ram. Any tips on finding this?

It should fit with the 212, but what ram are you planning on getting?

finally escaped fm2+

6 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

This guy seems to have no issues:

And somebody in the comments says they are running the same setup. From the picture I sent above it seems to be, at absolute most, a tiny bit over slot 1, but that might just be perspective; and seeing as you are getting a 2x8 config you should just put one module in the 2nd slot and the 4th slot.

finally escaped fm2+

2 minutes ago, lgcas said:

This guy seems to have no issues:

And somebody in the comments says they are running the same setup. From the picture I sent above it seems to be, at absolute most, a tiny bit over slot 1, but that might just be perspective; and seeing as you are getting a 2x8 config you should just put one module in the 2nd slot and the 4th slot.

Yeah that's what I'm doing. I appreciate your help!

Although I doubt that you are going to have issues with that, you should make sure that the height of your cooler fits into your case. Just a heads up hehe.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max GPU: ASUS Strix RX5600XT O6G ═ RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2666MHz CL16 ═ PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W ═ Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 ═ SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB M.2 SSD ═ HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ═ Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB

1 minute ago, Kerbalino said:

Although I doubt that you are going to have issues with that, you should make sure that the height of your cooler fits into your case. Just a heads up hehe.

I hope it does. I'll try to find info on if it will fit in a mid tower case. I have a full ATX tower I can refurbish but it's old and I'd prefer something a little smaller.

EDIT: the cooler is 158MM tall.

1 minute ago, DannyBoii said:

the cooler is 158MM tall.

Then it should easily fit into loads of Full-Tower. Mid-Tower cases and ATX cases. But it is always good to make sure.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max GPU: ASUS Strix RX5600XT O6G ═ RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2666MHz CL16 ═ PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W ═ Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 ═ SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB M.2 SSD ═ HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ═ Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB