Budget (including currency): 

My budget for a Computer is around ~$1400 (Not including a GPU, I'll upgrade later when the world isn't falling apart...)
Monitor Budget: less than ~$1000. I'm looking for a decent ultrawide monitor (3440 x 1440) and I'd like it to be better than 60hz that I won't need to upgrade for quite a while.
Also looking for a nice wide desk ~6' (~1.8m). Max desk length is 78" (1.9812m) but that's not too important right now.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

I got a new job as a Unity Software Developer, and I like to game.

I'd like to be able todo light/easy/stable Overclocking (Set and forget)

Doing compiling and having lots of projects open, I know I often clear 16GB of ram, so I know I'll need 32GB. But I don't know if it should be 4x8 or 16x2 or at what speed/whatever the hell CL is.

Games: Fallout, Skyrim, Metro, GTAV, Borderlands, Factorio, Cyberpunk 2077, Far Cry, CSGO.

Other details:

I currently have a 3770k and I'm pretty sure I want to upgrade to a 10700k, but past that I'm kinda lost.
I'm not sure on motherboards but I've done some research for the ASUS - ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING or MSI - MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
I'm lost on RAM. It looks like most ram are at 3200 or 3600 with a CL of 14-16, but others are posting on line about 4400 which I assume is overclocked? Is it easy/worth it to overclock RAM?
I have a 1070ti that i'm going to use until 3070's or 3080's aren't at scalper prices. Or a TI version if I have to wait that long.

I've always used Samsung SDD's but I'm up for changes if something is better.
I would assume that a 1TB M.2 would do me great and then I could just install a bigger hard drive later?

I don't really mind or care about RGB, if it's there cool if its not no worries.
I prefer parts/case to be dark/black. 
And I'd like to get everything in the next week or 2.

Monitor would be nice to have (2 HDMI, 2 Display Ports) and audio out (For Xbox)

Hopefully I gave enough information. Let me know if you have any questions or need clarifications. Like I said I'm having quite a bit of anxiety about all of the choices and really appreciate all your help. Thank you!

Edited by carl010010
Added current CPU

Just now, eddiemcgarrigle said:

Desk wise, you can't go wrong with the ubiquitous IKEA Alex and Karlby set-up.

They are all sold out... it what I really wanted, but found them to be completely gone

Any ddr4 ram above 2133mhz is overclocked. You can get 3200mhz or 3600mhz for a good price. The ram CL is the latency, so you want it to be a small number and it will help performance. As for the i7-10700k you would want to pair that with a z490 motherboard, however keep in mind that intel 11th gen should be out in a month or two on new z590 boards adding a performance bump as well as support for pcie4 speed for the gpu and one m.2 ssd. But you said you need everything in a week or two so that may not be an option for you.

Keeping your 1070ti is a good idea. What are the rest of your specs? Current case, psu, cpu, ram, mobo?

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

1 minute ago, cm992 said:

What are the rest of your specs? Current case, psu, cpu, ram, mobo?

I should have specified, I can't part my old computer for parts because I'm keeping it as a build computer. But I'm not sure of all of its parts but I know it has a 3770k and 32GB of DDR3 plus the 1070ti that I will be moving to my new computer until I can get a new GPU

6 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Any ddr4 ram above 2133mhz is overclocked.

To expand on this, 2133mhz is the base speed for DDR4, so anything over this is technically an overclock. That's why new RAM usually/always defaults to 2133mhz when you put it in your system. If it's rated for a higher speed, getting it to that is usually simply a matter of enabling the correct XMP profile in BIOS. Overclocking RAM beyond that is doable but it's probably not worth the effort, just get a 3200mhz or 3600mhz CL16 kit, enable XMP, and be done. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

To expand on this, 2133mhz is the base speed for DDR4, so anything over this is technically an overclock. That's why new RAM usually/always defaults to 2133mhz when you put it in your system. If it's rated for a higher speed, getting it to that is usually simply a matter of enabling the correct XMP profile in BIOS. Overclocking RAM beyond that is doable but it's probably not worth the effort, just get a 3200mhz or 3600mhz CL16 kit, enable XMP, and be done. 

Ok that makes sense. Thank you

Just now, carl010010 said:

Why did you choose the 3700X over the 10700k?

The 3700x is in the ballpark for performance and is 15 dollars cheaper

1 minute ago, Emergence177013 said:

The 3700x is in the ballpark for performance and is 15 dollars cheaper

a 10700kf would be the same price as a 3700x, similar performance, and z490 is getting support for 11th gen intel so they're almost the same

Depending on whether you value gaming performance or productivity more, choose one of them

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/4070vs4043

This shows the 10700k to be about 14% faster. And 15 dollars isn't that much of an increase to get more performance

userbenchmark is known to prioritize siingle core performance and put multi core on the shelf

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/userbenchmark-benchmark-change-criticism-amd-intel,40032.html#:~:text=Previously%2C Userbenchmark weighed single-core,and 2% multi-core.

Hmmmm I didn't know that. If I was to go with the 10700K what mother board would you recommend. So I can think about my options

Hmmmm I didn't know that. If I was to go with the 10700K what mother board would you recommend. So I can think about my options

I don't know very much about intel motherboards, so I would go with something someone else says

Just now, Emergence177013 said:

I don't know very much about intel motherboards, so I would go with something someone else says

Oh ok, no worries. Thank you for your help

If it comes down to me though, I would go with an asus board as they are usually high quality for the price point

7 minutes ago, Emergence177013 said:

userbenchmark is known to prioritize siingle core performance and put multi core on the shelf

The ryzen 3700x is slower in single core and multicore compared to the i7-10700k, and there is nothing wrong with prefering single core because it still is the most important in most games especially when paired with a high refresh rate monitor. The only downside to the i7-10700k compared to the 3700x is the lack of pcie4 support so half the bandwidth for the gpu and ssds. If the op can wait a month or so for intel 11th gen that will give performance a bump and solve the  pcie4 difference.

If the op decided to go with AMD Ryzen I would recommend a 5600x or 5800x.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Thanks I'll keep that in mind! We'll see if anyone else chimes it

1 minute ago, cm992 said:

The ryzen 3700x is slower in single core and multicore compared to the i7-10700k, and there is nothing wrong with prefering single core because it still is the most important in most games especially when paired with a high refresh rate monitor. The only downside to the i7-10700k compared to the 3700x is the lack of pcie4 support so half the bandwidth for the gpu and ssds. If the op can wait a month or so for intel 11th gen that will give performance a bump and solve the  pcie4 difference.

I'm not really worried about pcie4 support. And I really need to get a new computer set up soon, So I dont think ill be able to wait for 11th gen. And everyone is sold out of 5600x and 5800x. And I really dont want to by off of ebay

2 minutes ago, cm992 said:

you raise a fair point, though I'm not sure if intel 11th gen or ryzen 4th gen is gonna be in stock or not by the time op is able to get a 3070 at msrp

Just now, Emergence177013 said:

now that this is sorted out, good luck with your new job!

Thank man. I really appreciate it!

now that this is sorted out, good luck with your new job!

Oh actually I do have a question, which would be better for gaming/productivity. 4x8GB or 2x16GB of RAM