Not you too! - Miners looking towards gaming laptops powered by NVIDIA's Ampere GPUs for Ethereum

D13H4RD
Just now, atxcyclist said:

I’d queue the Morgan Freeman “I don’t give a shit” gif if I were not on my phone. 

If you're misinformed, and people take time to explain things to you, and your response is "I don't give a shit" then people will rapidly conclude it's a waste of time talking to you.

You can keep on being ignorant and angry. It isn't going to put a new GPU in your system or anybody else's. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

These are consumer products and not rare or collectible cars. If the card has an MSRP of $429 then it should be sold for $429. You’re part of the reason they don’t so trying to justify this practice to me isn’t going to work.

Yes, I don't expect to change your views either since you like to use "if", meaning you're being delusional and live in lalaland, it's hard to persuade people who thinks that way

but i find it amusing, thus why i partake in this conversation.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

If you're misinformed, and people take time to explain things to you, and your response is "I don't give a shit" then people will rapidly conclude it's a waste of time talking to you.

You can keep on being ignorant and angry. It isn't going to put a new GPU in your system or anybody else's. 

Good, no reason to “waste your time” further. You’re trying to justify shitty practices because you’re making money on it.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

you’re making money on it

I'm actually curious, if people bought all the GPU not for mining, but for folding@home, contributing to covid research, would you be okay with that?

Are you specifically against other people doing something to better their own financial situation?

Good, no reason to “waste your time” further. You’re trying to justify shitty practices because you’re making money on it.

I don't mine. All the GPU's I own are in my signature. I'm told I could make a decent amount mining with what I have, but I choose to use my hardware for folding when I'm not gaming because I'd rather benefit medical research than make a little extra cash.

Doesn't change the fact you're still wrong because you don't understand how supply and demand determine prices in a free market.

Capture.PNG

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Yes, I don't expect to change your views either since you like to use "if", meaning you're being delusional and live in lalaland, it's hard to persuade people who thinks that way

but i find it amusing, thus why i partake in this conversation.

You cannot justify to me that miners buying a bunch of GPUs and keeping other people from buying it is some moral high ground.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I'm actually curious, if people bought all the GPU not for mining, but for folding@home, contributing to covid research, would you be okay with that?

Are you specifically against other people doing something to better their own financial situation?

If someone buys A card and contributes to anything I don’t really care. Large swathes of people buying multiple cards each and inflating the street value and reducing supply to where they’re incredibly difficult to get? That’s completely different.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

If someone buys A card and contributes to anything I don’t really care. Large swathes of people buying multiple cards and inflating the street value and reducing supply to where they’re incredibly difficult to get? That’s completely different.

So if I bought 20 GPU's and put them in rigs that fold 24/7 to help find cures for COVID or Parkinson's or cancer and as a result you didn't get to play video games at as high a frame rate as you want, then I am morally inferior to you? (Since you want to make this about "morality.")

"inflating the street value" Hey look, you do understand how markets work! 

15 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

You cannot justify to me that miners buying a bunch of GPUs

they are buying GPU, yes

15 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

keeping other people from buying it

but afaik, did not specifically deny your access to GPU directly

they are willing to pay higher price for the goods, which made you uninterested in it

12 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Large swathes of people buying multiple cards and inflating the street value and reducing supply to where they’re incredibly difficult to get? That’s completely different.

i see

well they're not hard to get tbh, just throw up an offer for 3060ti at $1500 and people would line up to sell you some i bet.

now if you're unwilling to pay the price, that's different, because it's not that you cant, it's that you won't

and if you cant afford the current pricing, then perhaps you shouldnt, but im not your finance advisor so -shrug-

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So if I bought 20 GPU's and put them in rigs that fold 24/7 to help find cures for COVID or Parkinson's or cancer and as a result you didn't get to play video games at as high a frame rate as you want, then I am morally inferior to you? (Since you want to make this about "morality.")

Let's work out another philosophical puzzle, @atxcyclist...

Since gaming is apparently the highest good and only legitimate purpose for buying a GPU, and I only really need the card in my main system to game on, which would be the "moral" thing for me to do with my other two cards?

A. Sell them at current market price, which is probably more than what I paid for them, thus facilitating other people being able to get cards for gaming

B. Sell them at their original MSRP regardless of current market value

C. Leave them in my folding system to do medical research, thereby denying other people access to cards for gaming

Can't wait to hear your carefully considered answer!

16 minutes ago, Middcore said:

"inflating the street value" Hey look, you do understand how markets work! 

For every one of you there are dozens or hundreds of people buying GPUs up to mine cryptocurrency with, which benefits them and no one else.

Don’t belittle my or anyone else’s free time right now, covid has fucked mine and many other people’s lives up and almost everyone knows someone that have died from it. Me trying to retain some bit of enjoyment while stuck in my house or office for the last 11 months isn’t unreasonable, neither is it unreasonable for anyone else stuck not being able to buy a GPU to game on.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

So in a few years I should be able to pickup a used gaming laptop cheaply that needs a repaste and good cleaning?

30 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Don’t belittle my free time, covid has fucked my life up and I know people that have died from it. Me trying to retain some bit of enjoyment while stuck in my house or office for the last 11 months isn’t unreasonable.

you said you had a GPU equivalent to a 970, use that to ride out the mining craze

it's no slouch, still run games okay-ish

30 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

For every one of you there are dozens or hundreds of people buying GPUs up to play games with, which benefits them and no one else.

tbh, dont most people buy GPU for their own enjoyment?

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you said you had a GPU equivalent to a 970, use that to ride out the mining craze

@atxcyclistI demand that you give me your GTX 1060 so I can put it in a folding system for the good of all humanity. Otherwise you are reducing availability of GPU's purely for your own benefit, and being hypocritical. 😉

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I had to buy a worse card than I wanted  in 2016 because of mining, it was all that was available and my then 2012 card was already not pulling its weight. Mining has kept me from buying a good card twice now.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

I have to wonder how many disgruntled gamers work for power utilities, tasked with looking for energy theft (eg looking for drug labs/grow-ops), come across mining operations.

I also wonder how frequently the fire department has to go put one out of business because they overloaded the circuits like a grow op would.

53 minutes ago, Middcore said:

@atxcyclistI demand that you give me your GTX 1060 so I can put it in a folding system for the good of all humanity. Otherwise you are reducing availability of GPU's purely for your own benefit, and being hypocritical. 😉

The 1060 is crap in current games, so if that's what people were mining on I wouldn't care. It was a compromise I had to make 5 years ago when I wanted something better as my then current 750 Ti was worthless; It was barely good enough for my uses then and hasn't gotten better.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

54 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I had to buy a worse card than I wanted  in 2016 because of mining, it was all that was available and my then 2012 card was already not pulling its weight. Mining has kept me from buying a good card twice now.

Though I feel the complaints are on the side of irrational as there isn’t anything even manufacturers can do to curb mining, my sympathies on being burned twice by the mining crazes. I’d probably look for a new hobby were I in the same position (and to an extent, I already had). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The 1060 is crap in current games, so if that's what people were mining on I wouldn't care. It was a compromise I had to make 5 years ago when I wanted something better as my then current 750 Ti was worthless; It was barely good enough for my uses then and hasn't gotten better.

Every little bit helps for folding! The 1060 is quite efficient for the amount of PPD it can put up. Since right now it's benefitting nobody but you, and you say it's crap for games anyway, I'm sure you'll agree the morally consistent thing to do would be to donate it to me or someone else who wants to use it for folding. 

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Though I feel the complaints are on the side of irrational as there isn’t anything even manufacturers can do to curb mining, my sympathies on being burned twice by the mining crazes. I’d probably look for a new hobby were I in the same position (and to an extent, I already had). 

I cannot enjoy any of my other hobbies under lockdown, stuck in my house during my non-working-hours. I'm not alone in that, this is a common complaint from gamers right now, because of inflated prices and cards being unavailable.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Every little bit helps for folding! The 1060 is quite efficient for the amount of PPD it can put up. Since right now it's benefitting nobody but you, and you say it's crap for games anyway, I'm sure you'll agree the morally consistent thing to do would be to donate it to me or someone else who wants to use it for folding. 

And then I have no computer to use at all, in which the inconvenience would negate the couple of dollars a month I'd make with it. It probably would make less money than the energy cost used to run it and cool the area it's in.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

8 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

And then I have no computer to use at all, in which the inconvenience would negate the couple of dollars a month I'd make with it. It probably would make less money than the energy cost used to run it and cool the area it's in.

Couple of dollars a month? Make less money? We're talking about folding here, man, between what I paid for the hardware and the electricity costs I actively lose money by doing it. But it benefits everyone, whereas you using the 1060 for gaming benefits nobody but you, and you said people reducing availability of GPU's to benefit only themselves was bad, right?  

14 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Couple of dollars a month? Make less money? We're talking about folding here, man, between what I paid for the hardware and the electricity costs I actively lose money by doing it. But it benefits everyone, whereas you using the 1060 for gaming benefits nobody but you, and you said people reducing availability of GPU's to benefit only themselves was bad, right?  

Yeah, let me use my desktop for something that eliminates the only hobby I have left during a perpetual lockdown, that'll work great.

You trying to liken me buying one new card 5 years ago to people buying several right now isn't hitting the mark. Maybe if you tried a little more sarcasm you could have made it happen. Regardless, I'm not continuing this discussion.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Yeah, let me use my desktop from something that eliminates the only hobby I have left during a perpetual lockdown, that'll work great.

You trying to liken me buying one new card 5 years ago to people buying several right now isn't hitting the mark. Maybe if you tried a little more sarcasm you could have made it happen. Regardless, I'm not continuing this discussion.

I'm just going by your statement that people reducing the availability of GPU's to use them for things that only benefit themselves was bad. Would you care to revise and extend your remarks? 

I mean, you're obviously very sincere, and have clearly thought a lot about this, and I know you wouldn't just say things that don't make sense out of anger. 

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I'm just going by your statement that people reducing the availability of GPU's to use them for things that only benefit themselves was bad. Would you care to revise and extend your remarks? 

I made a perfectly fine distinction several posts back. You seem to have taken it personally even though I separated your use case from others, as you are the outlier. Your attempt to belittle my use case, even though I'm not contributing to a shortage in any way since I've not purchased but one new card in five years, falls flat as well. Don't shit on people for wanting to have enjoyment during this shitty time, I never singled you out or said anything bad about folding.

This forum has an ignore feature and I'm using it, bye.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R