New 3070 dead after a day

Storm982
Go to solution Solved by MadAnt250,
On 2/6/2021 at 1:42 AM, Storm982 said:

My 2070 with an overclock is still working just fine, as it was before I swapped it out. My psu is a corsair rm850 that's less than 2 years old so I would find it extremely unlikely it's a psu issue that popped up on the second day of new gpu but I could be wrong appreciate the effort tho, waiting to hear back from evga 

If you covered evrything with no success, RMA the GPU.

At least you still have your RTX 2070 to use while you wait, some people/fools made the mistake of selling their GPU's before they had a new one, and we all know how well that worked out.

So I got my brand new shiny evga rtx3070 xc3 ultra black edition yesterday from evga themselves through their website, pulled out my old card (2070) and thew that badboy in. It was awesome spent the night gaming shut it down and went to bed. The next day (today) after work I got home and jumped back into games and after 3-4 hours my pc rebooted out of nowhere. Went through the restart as it normally would as if I told it to, once it was done no display out of my gpu. Cpu integrated running fine. Used ddu to clear the old drivers restarted and tried to use the one downloaded from nvidia. Not compatible with your version of windows. No compatible devices detected.

Swapped back to my old card and after 10 mins windows installed the driver and I had all 3 screens back, updated to the latest driver, swapped back to the 3070: Nothing.

Is there any way to save it? Or do I have to pray to someone that they have another once laying around? 

You can RMA it with EVGA, who makes very quality products. This one might have had a defect and it could have stopped working like that. I'm sure if you RMA you will have a perfect card afterwards, also amazing that you found one!

Main System:
CPU
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC) 

Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II 
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz 16 GB (8x2) 
GPU - Asus Dual RTX2060 12GB
Case - Corsair 4000D Airflow
Storage - Crucial BX500 480 GB - Seagate BarraCuda 7200 RPM 2 TB
PSU - PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze (looking for replacement, its loud)
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo with two RGB fans

NAS:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 (had on hand)

Motherboard: HP Slimline S5610F Motherboard from Ebay

RAM: EVGA Superclocked 16gb

Storage: 2x 4TB WD Blue and old asf caviar se16 250gb because I had it and its worked for so long I don't trust anything else as much

GPU: Integrated on the mobo
Case: Old PowerSpec case from Micro Center (that can hold 8 hard drives)

PSU: EVGA W3 500W

Cooler: AMD stock cooler at PS4 RPM's that keeps the cpu at 14-24 degrees

Maybe it blew you PSU. So it can't supply enough power.

You can RMA but prepare for months for replacement as supply is low.

Try everything before sending it back. My guess the card is fine.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Maybe it blew you PSU. So it can't supply enough power.

You can RMA but prepare for months for replacement as supply is low.

Try everything before sending it back. My guess the card is fine.

If the computer wont show anything at the windows login screen, where the other card is working fine, where the card also needs psu power, where both are idling, its impossible for the psu to be the issue.

Main System:
CPU
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC) 

NAS:

Storage: 2x 4TB WD Blue and old asf caviar se16 250gb because I had it and its worked for so long I don't trust anything else as much

7 minutes ago, untrustworthy said:

If the computer wont show anything at the windows login screen, where the other card is working fine, where the card also needs psu power, where both are idling, its impossible for the psu to be the issue.

I say "maybe". You can't say it's impossible.

A bad PSU can also run without any indication of failure.

Not until you have a component which needs a certain power delivery.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I say "maybe". You can't say it's impossible.

A bad PSU can also run without any indication of failure.

Not until you have a component which needs a certain power delivery.

My 2070 with an overclock is still working just fine, as it was before I swapped it out. My psu is a corsair rm850 that's less than 2 years old so I would find it extremely unlikely it's a psu issue that popped up on the second day of new gpu but I could be wrong appreciate the effort tho, waiting to hear back from evga 

Get a unused drive install fresh windows in it just to test.

It's possible that the power supply is not good enough,

The 3000 series are very power hunger,and requires beefy power supplies.

Happened to Linus:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

^maybe you missed the part where he said he's using a less than two year old 850 watt corsair PSU. No, the issue isn't lack of power

8 hours ago, Storm982 said:

So I got my brand new shiny evga rtx3070 xc3 ultra black edition yesterday from evga themselves through their website, pulled out my old card (2070) and thew that badboy in. It was awesome spent the night gaming shut it down and went to bed. The next day (today) after work I got home and jumped back into games and after 3-4 hours my pc rebooted out of nowhere. Went through the restart as it normally would as if I told it to, once it was done no display out of my gpu. Cpu integrated running fine. Used ddu to clear the old drivers restarted and tried to use the one downloaded from nvidia. Not compatible with your version of windows. No compatible devices detected.

Swapped back to my old card and after 10 mins windows installed the driver and I had all 3 screens back, updated to the latest driver, swapped back to the 3070: Nothing.

Is there any way to save it? Or do I have to pray to someone that they have another once laying around? 

That's a bummer, however the upside is you could not have bought it from a better company when it comes to customer support and having defective equipment replaced sharpish. One idea, have you tried allowing windows to install native display drivers just to be sure it's not a driver issue. I know it's a long shot and not having a 30 series myself I do not know if this would work but you do not want to replace it only to have the replacement doing the same thing. The PSU  scenario already mentioned by the guys is very plausible. 

So what PSU do you have? Did you use the correct cables? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, Vishera said:

The 3000 series are very power hunger

I mean you aren't wrong but I've been using my 3070 which has about 270w to 300w max power draw with a 500w psu for about a month, playing lots of games in 4k, running benchmarks and stuff, not a single crash... 

Funny enough my system doesn't seem to draw a lot more than 380w or so... so if there are spikes it's still not enough to trip a 500w bequiet psu... (which admittedly can provide up to 620w momentarily) 

So yeah it definitely depends on many factors, quality of the psu, other components, etc. 

Maybe OP's gpu is really dead, though I have a feeling it's something else... best to try in another pc or try another psu imo... power supplies are really fickle lol 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean you aren't wrong but I've been using my 3070 which has about 270w to 300w max power draw with a 500w psu for about a month, playing lots of games in 4k, running benchmarks and stuff, not a single crash... 

Funny enough my system doesn't seem to draw a lot more than 380w or so... so if there are spikes it's still not enough to trip a 500w bequiet psu... (which admittedly can provide up to 620w momentarily) 

So yeah it definitely depends on many factors, quality of the psu, other components, etc. 

Maybe OP's gpu is really dead, though I have a feeling it's something else... best to try in another pc or try another psu imo... power supplies are really fickle lol 

Yeah, I was leaning to a dead GPU right from the start, I just suggested they just RMA with EVGA. It might be from bad components that shipped with some PC parts.

Main System:
CPU
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC) 

NAS:

Just now, SGT-AMD said:

Have you checked the psu fan to make sure it is clean and working?

It is working fine with the 2000 series, it doesn't work at all with the 3000 series. The PSU most likely is not the problem.

Main System:
CPU
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC) 

NAS:

1 minute ago, untrustworthy said:

Yeah, I was leaning to a dead GPU right from the start, I just suggested they just RMA with EVGA. It might be from bad components that shipped with some PC parts.

the thing is its better to try some things out before sending it back, they may not replace it anytime soon. evga *may* have good customer service (they're pretty terrible in the EU however, so it's hard to imagine for me) but they may not even have the components... speculation, but some companies flat out stopped giving out replacement gpus, they rather reimburse - which they legally have the right to if they cannot supply an exchange item. 

So yeah, if it's broken, RMA, but without at least trying another psu it's impossible to say the card is 'broken' the symptoms don't really fit either, should have been artefacting and stuff possibly... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/6/2021 at 1:42 AM, Storm982 said:

If you covered evrything with no success, RMA the GPU.

At least you still have your RTX 2070 to use while you wait, some people/fools made the mistake of selling their GPU's before they had a new one, and we all know how well that worked out.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

the thing is its better to try some things out before sending it back, they may not replace it anytime soon. evga *may* have good customer service (they're pretty terrible in the EU however, so it's hard to imagine for me) 

What? The maximum I have waited for a replacement is 2 weeks. Customer service is awesome.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

UPDATE: swapped the 3070 into my buddy's pc (which I built) has the same psu I do (corsair rm850x) with a similar mobo/cpu combo, still got nothing from the gpu not even showing up in DM as before on my rig. Just got back from UPS it's now been shipped off to EVGA for RMA appreciate all your help! Wish me luck!